SH Spotlight FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours, heard it 1000 times, still love it! Our WB 45 & 33 1/3 RPM vinyl coming now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 25, 2007.

1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I wonder if this is the case with the 33rpm versions sold at Barnes & Noble that I think also has the Pallas Sticker. Can anyone who bought a copy from B & N verify if it is the SH/KG Version?

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Nice. I just sent a copy to a forum member bought at one as it appeared to have the right decal. Thanks to the above poster for listing other things to look for. I just pm’d the member. What a deceptive thing to do...I know the non-Hoffman/Grey absolutely did not have those Pallas stickers before. They are even shaped the same! I almost feel like they are selling bootlegs pulling that!

3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

So the 33rpm of Rumours version with the Pallas Sticker sold at B & N Stores are NOT the SH/KG Mastered one? Sorry, was confused by your post.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I don’t know. It appeared correct but I already shipped it so the person I sent it to will have to check for markings an above poster suggested. Looks like it needs to say Made In The USA on the back, which is the first I have heard of that but at least it’s an easy way to double check. The guy I sent it to was pm’d and he looks at this thread. I’m sure he will let us all know, and he can return it if it’s wrong. I already opened mine so I’m stuck like some of you if it’s wrong, but my ears tell me it’s likely correct.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  5. motionmover

motionmover Forum Resident

Isn't there's any kind of indication written on the inner sleeves as to who did the remastering?
    Isn't Steve Hoffman given credit whereby his name is written somewhere in the credits?
    Anywhere besides the gold sticker?

Just to be clear, the golden sticker in the shrink wrap indicates Steve Hoffman's name?

So, no sticker and it is not the better sounding version?

6. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

The 33rpm's version I see for sale now in Canada has the Pallas sticker with the rounded corners on the sticker.

I would like to buy it if it is the Hoffman/ Gray pressing after being burnt on the non Hoffman 45rpm pressing.

If the 33rpm's pressing you just bought is the Hoffman pressing can you post the Barcode numbers etc on this forum.
    Thanks

7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The regular pressing I have is very good sounding. I'm sure the 45 is outstanding (especially the mastering). But it's not an album I would play much because the songs have been overplayed.
    - I didn't think twice about getting the Doors "Morrison Hotel" and "LA Woman" 45's though...

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It will have SH/KG markings scratched in the deadwax if correct otherwise it's a digital version.

PooreBoy likes this.
  9. Redbook

Redbook >> 16 Bits of Glory <<

Well to me absolutely nothing beats the sound of the original Target CD, dunno if there are other pressings with that mastering though. However it's one of these few early CDs that where made straight from the Master Tape and not an LP Master Copy.

10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

My guessing is that if Pallas pressed it, i would think it will be the SH/KG version. I reckon the digital version will be pressed at Optimal...

11. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Maybe this was mentioned in an earlier post, but a way to ensure it's Steve's mastering when LISTENING to it is to listen for the very faint "screams" at the start of the last song, "Gold Dust Woman." Steve kept in that studio frustration in his mastering and the other mastering did not.

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Nothing original about a CD version of an album from 1977.

13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I bought 2 copies (lp) of Rumours at Barnes And Noble in the summer of 2016. The first was the mediocre digital version and the second was the KG/SH mastered version.....the only difference between the 2 was the packaging and deadwax info. The digital version was packaged in tight shrink wrap, and the better version was in a loose bag......both were pressed at Pallas. It seems as if deadwax info may be the only way to determine the better pressing.

14. It is my understanding that Canada got the EU pressing (pressed from a digital file), not the Hoffman/Gray mastering).

15. It’s wailing towards the end of the track, as an eerie effect and not showing frustration, that’s in Steve’s mastering. It’s not anything different at the beginning.

Xander2017 likes this.
  16. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I bought my 33 RPM copy at B&N about a year and a half ago and it's definitely the SH/KG mastering. And it's spectacular!

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  17. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Funny but....

I didn't really care for the real popular Fleetwood Mac back in the 70s...but heard the tunes quite a bit. You just couldn't avoid them. So...when I was at the FM controls I'd turn the station when Rhiannon or Dreams or Chains etc...would come on. Not that I didn't like them at all..but it was too much saturation.

Later...like maybe 3 or 4 years ago...I got the early masterings on cd just to expand my music collection...and began to really, really enjoy this music. Even as seemingly milquetoast and for straight soccer moms this music seems....I like it now. I've embraced lots of music I used to snub back in the day as my music tastes have expanded and included the safe music of the era. Always liked the Peter Green thru Bob Welch period...even Bob's sappy Mac stuff ! :laugh:

Echoes Myron likes this.
  18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

When I got the Super Deluxe Of Rumours, the vinyl that came with it has SH/KG in the dead wax :)

Jrr likes this.
  19. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I saw the 45 RPM with the Pallas sticker at a local store last night. It had a receive date of late May on the price sticker. If these are the legit SH/KG 45s , it certainly looks like they've has done another pressing run. I may grab an extra.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s great info if you already opened it. I did...I got lucky...it has their engravings! But, it isn’t going to help anyone else.

I fear this is going to get confusing for people. In MY experience, I have not seen a gold label on a non-Hoffman album. One person here is reporting that this is happening....it could be true, maybe not. Here is what my Hoffman 33rpm says, exactly:

Shrink, like someone else said, is tight.
    The barcode reads: 9362-49793-5 and a small 7 at the end.
    Bottom of cover reads: Reprise Records. A Warner Music Group Company. Burbank address is given. Then: 2009 Reprise Records for the U.S. and WEA International Inc. For the world outside the U.S. P1977 Warner Bros Recods Inc. Made in U.S.A. All rights reserved.

Somebody up thread mentioned the key is seeing the Made In The U.S.A. Designation. If that’s the case, this is pretty easy stuff.

I always try to avoid contradicting another forum member unless I have very good proof to the contrary, but at this time I don’t see evidence that the non-Hoffman is using thoses gold Pallas sticker, as someone upthread asserts. They would have to recall what’s in the field to apply them, though they certainly could be adding them if a repress has been done. If it were me, I would still be comfortable buying one with that label. I hope this helps you guys!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  21. Sam

Sam Senior Member

It's at the beginning and I believe I read that the group had done so many takes, someone yelled out. Check out this thread:

Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" 45rpm vinyl?*

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I was going to pass on this...how many times can you hear the same album! But I have to say, it’s a stunning listen if you have a good vinyl set up. The music almost doesn’t matter. It’s a must own album if you are an audiophile imo. If you really want to enjoy it much more, get the bio on how the album was made, written by the co-producer and engineer Ken Caillat. It’s outstanding and references by time code are made throughout. He was really allowed to experiment with things, and it’s a very fun read. The listening of the album will be a completely different experience, for the good.

Now that I have compared the 33 and 45, knowing I have the correct 33, there is most definitely a difference folks. In fact, I thought perhaps the 33 was not the right version until I saw the inscription in the dead wax. Sonically, everything is there. It sounds very good. However, IF you own the 45 what you will likely find is the dynamics are not quite as pronounced on the 33. Most notably, the drums are more punchy on the 45. That doesn’t mean you will like it better, but I bet it’s closer to what Steve was hearing or it wouldn’t come across that way. I do like it. All the levels are just a bit lower, but that also makes sense. Because the dynamics are more pronounced, if it were me I would opt for the 45, but if you just want to hear how wonderful it sounds over all and don’t want to bother hanging out by your table because it has to be turned over constantly (they stretched a standard length album over four sides), then the 33 would be fine. I think most would recommend getting both, as I now did. How many times do we have this opportunity, and it looks like the Pallas 33 is about gone.

Fun Fact: Ken said they were very conscience about the maximum they could fit on vinyl for the best dynamic range. Hence, Silver Springs was cut. Makes you really appreciate he was on the team as most bands wouldn’t have really cared that much and put it on. And it would only have increased one side by four minutes, which of course would have worked fine, albiet with a bit less dynamics.

Gardo likes this.
  23. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Yes I sa
    So does it have this evidenced of proof, 33 -1/3 rpm vinyl:
    In the deadwax, does it have the inscriptions "SH/KG" scratched in?
    Did it have the gold sticker, rounded corners and pressed in Pallas?
    Shrink, like someone else said, is tight, correction, I think it says above not tight shrink wrap, its in the loosely fitted wrapper like the 45.
    The barcode reads: 9362-49793-5 and a small 7 at the end.
    Bottom of cover reads: Reprise Records. A Warner Music Group Company. Burbank address is given. Then: 2009 Reprise Records for the U.S. and WEA International Inc. For the world outside the U.S. P1977 Warner Bros Recods Inc. Made in U.S.A. All rights reserved.

Somebody up thread mentioned the key is seeing the Made In The U.S.A. Designation.
    I do have the correct SH/KG 45RPM vinyl, like to have the 33- 1/3 RPM too.

24. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

Yes. The copy I bought at Barnes and Noble is exactly as you described with tight shrink wrap.

Jrr likes this.
  25. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

"SH/KG" vs "KG/SH"

Is that the same as

"JL/PM" vs "PM/JL"

There you are. Beatles thread.

Panama Hotel likes this.