FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours -- New WB vinyl, "Gold Dust Woman" mix variation question...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2007.

1. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

thats interesting, thank you- wow so by this point jazz was already being manipulated with edits?-- was that cause it was Columbia records. Surely monk wouldnt of had the opportunity do record that way at one of his Prestige dates...?

2. danfaz

danfaz New Member

Yep, I noticed this myself. The 5.1 mix doesn't have the loud howl, but the stereo certainly does.

3. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Just cleaning out my LP collection today and noticed I had two copies of Rumours and remembered this thread, so I thought I'd give them a spin to hear what the end of Gold Dust Woman sounded like

One has F9 etched in the side 2 deadwax and is the "version 1" cut with loud wailing, no breaking glass sound.
    One has F39 etched in the side 2 deadwax and is the "version 2" cut with quieter wailing, breaking glass sound.

Neither cover has labeling indicating a promo copy. The F9 pressing is heavier vinyl

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I also have two copies, F18 (loud wailing) and F39 (quiet wailing).

5. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I need to check this out.

6. WindyCity1014

WindyCity1014 New Member

I just purchased an authentic Hoffman Gray remastering of Rumours. Even after a single listen, I can honestly say that this is the finest sounding album I own and will be the reference material I use when I want to show off my system to others. I would like to thank Steve for all of his hard work and perseverance on what is truly a labor of love.

I do have one question though. I have read through this entire thread, as well as several others, and I've seen multiple mentions of a countdown before Gold Dust Woman. As I said, I only listened to it once so I might not have caught it, but I don't recall hearing any countdown. Can somebody please describe it with more specificity so I will know exactly what to listen for? Thank you.

smokeverbs and VictoryHighway like this.
  7. WindyCity1014

WindyCity1014 New Member

I listened again and could hear Lindsey saying something in the background in the beginning of GDW, but no clear countdown.

8. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I happened across another copy of Rumours and it has "F25" etched on side 2. This also has the loud wailing at the end of Gold Dust Woman.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    jasonsouza77 and mpayan like this.
  9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

It sounds like the tape rolling then you hear "hey, 1,2, 1234!"then the cowbell.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I just reread this entire thread. Now I have PTMS, Post Traumatic Mastering Syndrome.

11. Steve Hoffman

Bumped by
    r
    e
    q
    u
    e
    s
    t...

12. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

just recd a US original with the f25 in side II of the deadwax. sounds phenomenal especially mick "big man" Fleetwood's drums. im not sure if it has the loud wailing as I do not have other us pressings but I guess it shld be since it has the f25 etching. will do an a/b with my Japanese f22 when I do have the chance. a very well recorded LP imho and solid music by members who put in tons of effort, stevie still putting her best foot forward with a sore throat during sessions for GDW.

Aftermath likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Think I’ll play this song right now.

jasonsouza77 and Billy Budapest like this.
  14. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

im sure you'll have an enjoyable listen steve :)

15. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

Reading this thread makes me want to spin my 45rpm Pallas copy I've got at home too. I think I might when I get home!

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

One song, two different first generation master mixes, three endings for the song on both tapes, none attached to the actual song.

Man, what a mess this was!

17. Steve Hoffman

I wonder what every other version released since the one I did has used for this song (and others with different edit parts?)

Billy Budapest likes this.
  18. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Played side one this morning, after repairing some broken tonearm wires (don't ask :)). I have an early pressing of this album, with all the screaming at the end.
    I'm still amazed how this song still draws me in. Actually the whole side sounds really good, still fresh after all this time.

jeff

19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Here's a copy and paste from what I had posted last year-
    Digital wise-
    this is what I've found so far
    Sanyo Japan For US-5:01 Full intro fade in/howling. Short outro
    On the US RE 5:02 no fade in or howling. Short outro-Avoid, awful mastering.
    The old WG #04 is 4:52, shorter fade in no howling.
    DVD-A 5:08 cold start with howling, full outro-Same mastering can be found on the 2013 Japan SACD and the 2011 24/96
    When I say no howling, the excessively overblown howling :laugh:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    SinnerSaint and Billy Budapest like this.
  20. Rob Wood

Rob Wood Active Member

So I’m gonna revive this a bit- I just came across this and was interested to read some think Lindsey’s howling at the end. I read in an interview with either Stevie or one of the engineers that she came to the studio around 2 am or so and just let loose on the wails. The engineer or whoever said she raised goosebumps on him with their intensity.

21. Steve Hoffman

And then they couldn't use it due to cutting problems. And then they used it and didn't care about the cutting problems. And then they didn't use it because they didn't want to bother about the cutting problems. And then it sat for thirty years, wrong. And then Kevin and I came blundering along and, well, did a lot of work for totally no overtime dollars. Heh.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  22. Rob Wood

Rob Wood Active Member

Thanks and glad to know it is Stevie. It has always sounded like her voice to me on the wails.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

When are we going to get this on a gold cd?!?!

Ok, got that out of my system. Have to do that each time I see this pop up.

24. xrey®

xrey® Forum Resident

Rick, I think the hotter banjo mix you're thinking about is actually the 7" remix of "Say You Love Me" (the 3rd US single release from "Fleetwood Mac" 1975.) "Over My Head" and "Rhiannon (Will You Ever Win)" both had unique 7" remixes which were finally released several years ago on two different CD releases appearing on the bonus disc of rarities. "OMH" had a hot intro that popped better on AC and Top 40 radio than the album version's fade in. Also it had a hotter, but very narrow, stereo mix (essentially mono), where the album mix was amazing in wide stereo, and only ran :17 longer. "Rhiannon" was actually edited for length on the end guitar solo, but has a longer fade out than the album mix (Stevie's line "dreams unwind, love's a state of mind" is repeated twice on the end of single.) On the album that line is almost lost in the fade. Unfortunately there is no long studio version that can match her amazing live performances of the song when she appears to be possessed for another three or four minutes...sadly after the studio versions already faded out.

"SYLM" is listed as "edited", but was just sped up 2 or 3% as a lame idea to shorten it by :13 seconds I suppose. It made Christine sound like a Chipmunk. It's hard to believe that someone signed off on that decision. I slowed down the 45 to match the album version's pitch for airplay because I liked the up-front banjo and guitar in the single mix. I'm pretty sure the mono mixes are the same as the stereo sides.

The 7" single for "You Make Lovin' Fun" from "Rumours" was the album version, as were all the other singles released from that LP. Now if we can just verify WHICH version of "Gold Dust Woman" was used on all of the B-sides of this hit..... LOL. (except in the UK & Japan which used "Never Going Back Again", and Germany & France which used "The Chain" for their B-side.) Hope this helps!