Fleetwood Mac S/T 1975 Super Deluxe Edition Announced (Inc.5.1 Mix)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Myke, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

The surround mix is fantastic, DD or not! There are parts in there I've never heard before (Stevie Nicks' BV's are very prominent on 'I'm So Afraid)

2. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Thanks for the report. Care to elaborate? How discreet is it?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  3. gary191265

Very! It's very much like the Tusk and Rumours 5.1 mixes. New elements, elements you've never heard before as they were buried so far in the mix, all 5 speakers are utilised brilliantly. It is very bass heavy though, I had to turn my subwoofer down!

4. JimW

Excellent! Thanks for the details. Better to have too much bass than too little (easier to fix).

SteelyNJ and gary191265 like this.
  5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m up to the live disc and I’m loving this box set so far. Every single box they’ve done has been brilliant. I’m so glad they’ve found recordings from the tour even though it was always thought there wasn’t anything available.

Nothing will ever beat the live set with the Tusk box. That’s one of my all time favourite live albums.

LEONPROFF and Oyster Boy like this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Just received a $2.45 price guarantee credit on my order from Amazon.co.uk order. So those that ordered from Amazon.co.uk might want to make sure they get the credit if the price dropped.

7. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

My take on the surround mix is different: I think it's disappointing and unadventurous, making little use of the rear channels, which is probably why it remained unreleased for years. (My rear speakers are active, offering 1250 watts each, so they're hardly shrinking violets.) Certainly, you can hear things that are not obvious from the stereo version, but that's because they used different mixes. The 96/24 stereo version offers excellent sound quality (as, in fairness, does the surround mix, with almost holographic placement of the lead vocals) but both the original and remastered CDs sound wonderful as well, so the DVD is not the reason to buy this box. The real meat is in the demos and live stuff, which I will be enjoying tomorrow.

Mr. Explorer and JimW like this.
  8. JimW

Interesting the difference in perspective. You hear little discreet use of surrounds, but excellent SQ (indicating the DD is not an issue). So you hear mainly ambience in the rears?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Yes, exactly. Made me wonder whether my system was playing up, as I was expecting something more like the Rumours surround mix, which makes adventurous use of the rears.

10. JimW

Playing up is like acting up, I assume (forgive us uncultured Yanks ;))? Assuming you checked everything and made sure it wasn't.

What about bass- did you also find that a bit too pronounced?

11. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Bass seemed fine to me: good mastering on both the stereo and surround mixes, but the latter struck me as a bit unadventurous.

And yes, playing up/acting up very much the same thing.

Mr. Explorer and JimW like this.
  12. JimW

Appreciate your input.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. I received the same!

Mr. Explorer and Bill Mac like this.
  14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Honestly?!? DD is the only surround option?!? That's more than crazy.
    A "no buy" for me. I can stream the whole set on Tidal.

15. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Thinking that the alt studio sessions will probably come out on a stand along single vinyl in April for RSD. I loved the alt Tusk and Mirage releases. Not sure if I can wait that long though not hold off on the two cd set. Landslide, Crystal and World Turning that I streamed were awesome.

16. gary191265

I'm hearing loads of stuff in the years, a different rhythm guitar in the left and right rears to those in the front on Monday Morning, cymbal shimmers and lead guitar on Rhiannon, for starters and that was just quickly skipping through tracks that I'm particularly familiar with.

I see nothing to complain about from the surround mix; it's no Yoshimi vs. The Pink Robots but then few things are!

17. JimW

Thanks for the report.

And thank goodness for that! As much as I love that mix, there are few albums where that type mix would be appropriate- this album being one where it'd be totally unappropriate imo. Though there are many MCH mixes where I wish they'd show a little more of the adventure Yoshimi displays.

gary191265 likes this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Tidal does 5.1?

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

No. But I can stream everything else. I really don't want to spend that kind of money just for the set with a 5.1 DD surround presentation. Especially since the surround mix is not getting rave reviews.

Bill Mac likes this.
  20. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

If you don't need the physical product, HD Tracks offers the first three CDs worth of material in 96/24 for $US34.99. With a 15% discount, I got mine for $29.73. That's all I need, since I'm not set up for surround sound. I'm downloading it right now.

kenbefound and Musician95616 like this.
  21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So if one has the last edition with bonus tracks, how many new studio recordings are on this set?

22. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I'm trying to remember the bonus cuts on the 2004 disc, but there is at least 17 studio demos/alternates on disc 2 with only 2 being repeats, and a live album from different dates on disc 3. Plus you get the single versions as well. So you get quite a bit, I'm loving the set, the live stuff is showing me what a wizard Lindsey is on guitar.:righton:

Oyster Boy likes this.
  23. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I have the new 2CD version, which includes the original album, of course, plus Jam #2 and the singles that were present on the 2004 edition.
    In addition to these, which I take it you already have, the 2018 2CD includes 16 tracks on the second CD, of which 4 are live.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Mr. Explorer, aoxomoxoa and ccbarr like this.
  24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Does anyone remember the gap between the previous deluxe boxsets and the release of the standalone vinyl? (I’m guessing they’ll release the “alternate Fleetwood Mac” vinyl for RSD as they did the past 2 years for Tusk & Mirage).

Mr. Explorer and ccbarr like this.
  25. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

It was about 8 months if I am remembering right. Good point about the RSD release, hadn't thought of that. I'm not a vinyl collector, but what is kinda cool now is that I have all 5 of the Buckingham/Nicks era Mac albums on nice vinyl, thanks to these box sets. My first discography!

Mr. Explorer and SteelyNJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.