Fleetwood Mac S/T 1975 Super Deluxe Edition Announced (Inc.5.1 Mix)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Myke, Nov 16, 2017.

1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

listened to discs 2 and 3 today on spotify....every single live cut is worth having, this band was hot, super hot and you can really tell how into it they were. they knew the addition of buckingham/nicks made it something special, and it certainly is. hearing this version of the band doing the old mac songs is wonderful.

however, from what i have read, the mastering of the original album is not very different at all from the 2004 remaster and the bonus tracks are the exact some ones as the ones on that one.

Mr. Explorer and Oyster Boy like this.
  2. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Perhaps I misunderstood what you said, but while the new reissue does replicate all the bonus material from the 2004 remaster, there's a whole bunch of new bonus material on the 2018 reissue.

The 2004 reissue had "Jam #2" and four single versions. The single versions are tacked onto the end of the main album disc of the 2018 reissue, while Disc #2 of the 2018 reissue 12 brand new studio outtakes (early versions of the songs from the album), plus "Jam #2" which was on the 2004 remaster. PLUS it has a few live cuts, too. So there's a sizable amount of new stuff on this new reissue.

John Grimes and Mr. Explorer like this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes you are correct:

sorry for the misrepresentation.

everything that was on the 2004 remaster is also on this one, and there is a ton more stuff.

every song on the album is there in raw form + a ton of live material.

however, there is NOTHING new in finished form form the studio, it is all early takes (they call them that not me), any song on here that was not recorded in the studio by the buckingham/nicks version of fleetwood mac is live, and there is a lot of it.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I see the live tracks are available for individual sale on iTunes.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you can listen to them on both spotify and amazon unlimited before you buy.

6. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Amazon.ca has a decent price now from secondary sellers : $63 Canadian plus shipping (3.50 or so to Canada ).

7. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Just digging into this now.

Beginning with a vinyl spin of the album proper.

Finished side one. It sounds great. I have the grail original. Not saying this is that, though I won’t get around to an A/B until I’m through all the discs of this set.

Years of joy reside in these 5 Fleetwood Mac Super Deluxe Edition Box Sets. Literally.....you can now spend an insane amount of time going through all of this content.

Can’t wait to get to the bonus stuff. After the vinyl, I’ll skip listening to the cd remaster of the original album until after I’ve heard one of the bonus discs.

8. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Yes. These five box sets have delivered beyond anything I could have hoped for.

9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

This.

Granted, I’ve only started on this box. I had a “nice” vinyl listen & then went straight to this disc.

Only on track 4 (Rhiannon) - but damn, the box is worth it for this. Love these early takes so far!

10. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

So glad to see people enjoying this box after all the hubbub about the surround only being Dolby Digital.

Mr. Explorer, Bill Mac and Clanceman like this.
  11. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

For FM S/T I have the 2004 CD with bonus tracks, mastered by Inglot and Hersch. I also have the very good MFSL LP from 1979 (highly regarded on these forums, for a change, as many MFSLs from that era are not). I also have 192/24 FLAC download from Acoustic Sounds. That last sounds very, very good to me, and better than any CD version I've heard so far.

It appears from Discogs that the new box was produced by Inglot and mastered by Hersch.

So, given what I already have, it sounds like I would be getting a CD that sounds similar to the 2004 I already have with same bonus tracks, a couple of discs of additional bonus and live tracks, and DD 5.1 on the DVD in addition to 96/24 stereo (when I have 192/24), and a vinyl LP which I have not heard compared with the very good MFSL, but may not be that much better, and in any event would be cut from much older tapes than the MFSL (if they even cut from tape). I am trying to sort out whether this purchase of the entire box would actually be worth it for what may be just the added bonus and live tracks on CD and the 5.1 DD mix on the DVD.

I previously passed on the Rumours box as I already have the Hoffman/Gray 33-1/3 and 45 rpm LPs, as well as the SACD hybrid, and the DVDA for digital. Obviously, that's a different story altogether.

Any thoughts on this, anybody?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. paolo

paolo Senior Member

My copy arrived today from amazon.uk. It has the bend in the middle as per others here but doesn’t break the deal for me. One thing though is that the slipcase isn’t excessively tight on my copy. It is just about right. Just about to clean the vinyl and rip the CDs and then I will do some listening!

Clanceman and SteelyNJ like this.
  13. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

The book, overall presentation.....AND the “2” discs: 1. Early takes/Live 2. Live from the S/T tour = price of admission for me

14. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I agree. Some fantastic live stuff on those CDs - like, for example, the stunning version of Station Man from Disc 3 (live at Jorgensen Auditorium), Stevie Nicks' clear and powerful vocal on Landslide (magic!), etc, etc. Straight goosebump material.

Mr. Explorer and Clanceman like this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

ON HOLD Your shipment has been flagged for review of the contents prior to export

It was bound to happen sooner or later, after 10 years shopping online.

Hope there's no damage.

16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Anybody else notice that the DVD has two of the bonus single tracks swapped around in order, compared to how they're listed on the packaging and how they play on the CD? "Say You Love Me" kicks off the mini-title of four songs on the DVD itself, whereas "Over My Head" is listed in its place, and vice versa

You don't need this in physical form, unless you're really after the booklet and surround mix. Get the download for the bonus studio and live tracks, is my advice

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Mr. Explorer and weaselriot like this.
  17. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Mine is in the "process" of customs clearance. Not sure if that's purely routine or the first step of an "on hold" situation.

Delivery By i-parcel

Tracking ID AEILTN40000xxxxxx

Sunday, 21 January
    2:26 PM
    Initiated customs clearance process

Friday, 19 January
    4:09 PM
    Problem resolved and parcel is in transit

Thursday, 18 January
    6:50 PM
    Parcel left the carrier facility
    Dunstable, Central Bedfordshire GB

Parcel has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit

ZippyPippy and Myke like this.
  18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It's unfortunate they didn't put more content on the DVD; the duplication of audio from CD1 in hi-res plus a lossy 5.1 mix is only about 2 gigabytes of data. Could have stuck some more bonus audio on there, maybe? A photo gallery? Credits info? The Rumours box at least had the Rosebud film even if there was no surround mix included. Anyhow, the packaging is nice, and I'm happy to have the bonus tracks even if the mastering of the main album is a little bit squeezed, on both CD and DVD, compared to earlier masterings

Will check out the vinyl a little later

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  19. Myke

Yeah, the only activity on mine began and ended Saturday. Hasn't moved an inch since.

20. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

My box arrived today, so I'm just playing the 5.1 mix now. I thought Mirage in surround was the high water mark of this series, but this may have the edge. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I love the fact that they left in Stevie's line at the start of Rhiannon. It freaked me out. Which is only fitting, I suppose.
    The only downside of all this, which I remarked when this latest box was announced, is that the regrettable absence of a 5.1 mix for Tango in the Night is now accentuated further. But we've plenty to enjoy in these sets, not least all the live material, and - for what we've got - they've been pretty well priced too.

Clanceman and JimW like this.
  21. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

Is there some reason for ordering this from abroad with increased shipping cost and apparent customs issues, when it is available from Music Direct here in Chicago with 10% off, shipping today? Likely also from Acoustic Sounds as well. Just asking.

The book and the two added CDs with great live tracks would be nice to have, but not for nearly $100. My primary concern is the main album, for which 96/24 on the DVD is a plus, but maybe not so much when I already have the 192/24 download. I am sure that the 5.1 mix, even if only DD, can be fun as well. I always prefer 5.1 in a non-lossy flavor, but I won't let my shorts get up in a bunch over DD 5.1 as it is an extra, and a lot better for that than, say, a scarf and some marbles.

Still, a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks, isn't it? Maybe just try to round up the live tracks from the two added CDs as downloads and call it a day, or hold out for a 3 CD only set including same in the future.

22. Myke

The price. Since day one, November 16th, when I started this thread. $55.30 for me.

23. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

I had this experience recently when I got the Louisiana Hayride Bear Family set from Amazon Germany. It was a day or two late, but fine otherwise. However, the shipping box was almost completely open so I felt lucky it got here.

24. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Pre-0rder price on amazon.co.uk was £39.66 shipped to US which offers significant save versus the domestic US online retailers. For many of us, the extra ship time is worth the wait although some of the members here have not had the best experience with the packages arriving undamaged.

Clanceman, SteelyNJ and weaselriot like this.
  25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I hope they don’t find that joint I left in there