Fleetwood Mac 'The Dance' format question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PhxJohn, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a Marantz DV18 Mk II DVD deck. Of course, it plays CD's as well. Ignoring the video, would there be any difference in sound quality between the DVD and CD versions ? I should mention that my system is stereo only. I wish this album was available on high quality vinyl with expert mastering from the master tapes. LOL.

2. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The main reason to get the DVD (apart from the songs not found on the CD) is that the 5.1 mix was made by Elliot Scheiner who is one of the best mixing engineers for music in Multichannel. If you have a 5.1 set-up, you will love this one. He is the one who is responsible for the sublime 5.1 mixes for Roy Orbison's Black and White Night and Eagles' Hell Freezes Over.

The CD mastering is also much louder than the DVD.

More information found here.

jlm86 and mark winstanley like this.
  3. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

This needs a Blu-ray release. Sounds awesome in 5.1 on the DVD though.

Pat

mark winstanley and Simon A like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Love this album. I would like to see it on wax someday. But for now, currently playing the cee dee format.....

[​IMG]

Shak Cohen likes this.
  5. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

IIRC it takes a couple of UK CD 4 song EP's to get the whole concert.

6. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Was there a DVD-A release?

7. I absolutely love this concert! However, much like the Mirage Tour show from 1982, it remains somewhat frustrating to enjoy in audio form alone, only for very different reasons. You see, I'd been forced to settle with a double CDR version I made for years using the complete DVD release. Following a quick look at Discogs, I don't believe it's actually possible to reassemble the full setlist from its singles. While ripping the video's stereo mix would seem like an obvious upgrade to the edited CD, I've always felt this particular edition was missing a lot of punch - I've tried boosting the volume and even applying some compression, but nothing appears to work. If anyone knows of a solution to improving the 2.0 source that brings this more in line with the officially available album then I'd very much appreciate your suggestions...

8. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Apologies but I'm missing something here when you mention complete DVD, edited CD and officially available Album as source material. The 22 song DVD and 17 song edited CD I am familiar with. Are you talking vinyl for the officially available Album or the edited CD.

If I'm understanding correctly you feel the DVD lacks punch and you want the five songs edited out of the CD in CD quality rather than a rip from video.

9. I was referring to the edited CD and the DVD... From my experience, the stereo mix on the DVD is lacking punch in comparison with the CD, though I guess the intention might have been to draw attention to the alternative 5.1 source as a major selling point.

Peja11 likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Great dvd, and yes it needs a blu ray release with dts master audio 5.1

ShardEnder and Peja11 like this.
  11. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I suppose the 5.1 mix on the DVD is presented in Dolby Digital. What about the stereo mix? Is that lossless or Dolby as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.