Fleetwood Mac Tour 2018/19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PRW94, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mick disagrees and it's his band, not Lindsey's.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding a little chippy/contentious this morning, I try not to be in forums like this. It's just from all the videos I've seen so far, and from the objective reviews of the concert I've seen, this band came out of the gate pumped and ready for action, and I'm more excited than ever to have tickets to see them in February, yet people are still griping over them "doing Lindsey wrong" and griping that ... gasp! ... they had the audacity to play Lindsey's songs.

So what? He's getting well compensated for any mental anguish that causes.

I hate that it went down like it did, but people need to get over it and move forward.

I will say this ... they never in a million years would've played that setlist with Lindsey in the band.

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i'm a huge Buckingham fan but if mick doesn't want him in the band then he shouldn't want non charting hits by Buckingham played either. I have no issues that the band is touring for whatever reason without Lindsey but no reason to keep playing pretty much the standard Buckingham concert tunes as that's not moving forward

fsutall, Christopher B and Clanceman like this.
  3. PRW94

I can understand/respect that even if I disagree.

I just left a Fleetwood Mac group on Facebook where some people are about to stroke out because they didn't do "Tusk."

I gently pointed out that isn't exactly in this band's wheelhouse ...

sunspot42, Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Seems fitting considering her whole "witch" persona.

JDeanB and AlienRendel like this.
  5. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I think the most unexpected and obscure addition to the set was All Over Again from 1995. I wonder how many people in the audience could place that one!

Fleetwood Mac have earned the right to do what they want, but I do wonder if teeter-tottering between blues, new wave, obscure Mac songs, Mac hits, and 80s pop covers is satisfying to the audience. Definitely a different vibe to the classic Fleetwood Mac, whose reputation is selling the tickets. We’ll see!

6. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I own Time, like Time and STILL needed to play it to remember it!

7. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I'm quite liking this idea of them only playing hits when they get to the UK. That would guarantee Black Magic Woman, Need Your Love So Bad, Albatross, Man Of The World, Oh Well, Green Manalishi.
    Mac's chart stats read an awful lot different in the UK than they do in the USA. They didn't really achieve the same singles chart success here after Peter Green left. Only 5 of their post-Green singles charted higher than Green Manalishi which was a comparative failure at n0. 10. To date their only top 3 entries were Green compositions so if chart stats are your criteria, Then Play On.

8. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I wonder who chose it - Mick or John, I guess. I wonder if it’s a tiny admission that they’re starting to realize what they’ve done by kicking Lindsey out.

9. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

The lyrics are interesting, considering the current situation:

Well it's time to say goodnight
    And finally turn out the light
    How do I say in some simple way
    How much you have been on my mind
    But I have to let you go
    It's time to move on, don't you know
    But you can rely on a love that won't die
    For haven't I told you so
    So let's stop before it's too late
    And leave it all up to the fates

GoodKitty and fallbreaks like this.
  10. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I would have. And I would also have been gobsmacked!

11. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

My take:

• Definitely an exciting setlist. Gotta give 'em that. Lots of cool old tunes pulled out of storage.
    • Two too many Lindsey songs. But whatever.
    • The clip of "Black Magic Woman" was pretty nice.

"All Over Again" was Christine's kiss-off to the band in 1995. Interesting that it's the show closer. Would never in a million years have guessed it. Wonder if it's aimed now at Lindsey or fans of the prior conception of the band? Always drama with these people! :p

12. PRW94

Most of the people at dedicated Fleetwood Mac boards/groups/forums/etc. were gobsmacked by ... and generally pleased with ... All Over Again.

Based on the lyrics I think it absolutely was deliberately chosen.

sunspot42 and Elliottmarx like this.
  13. PRW94

I guess it just can't be avoided.

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

They've had a full-time percussionist going back to the Tango In The Night tour. Not really a "second drummer."

15. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Mike looks more like a hobo every day.

zebop, Shak Cohen, utopiarun and 3 others like this.
  16. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

Gross.

Like the "Ellen" appearance it all seems lackluster.

Nicks is the focal point and it is not so much that it sounds like Nicks' skills have diminished...it's more that she sounds to me like she doesn't give a ****. (Not committed/going through the motions is my perception.) This applies to all I've seen so far.

Neil Finn's dis-passionate and merely competent "Go Your Own Way" for me set the tone and example for everything I've seen since.

It's all so....meh.

17. PRW94

Has there been a video of "Go Your Own Way" from last night? I've not seen one on YouTube, Facebook or Twitter.

18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I have no wish to hear the renditions, but it's nice to see them pay tribute to Greeny.

rockstarFotog and ash1 like this.
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Agreed. They are probably a lot happier too not having to put up with his douche persona.

20. PRW94

I'm sure none of those folks are jewels to deal with, but some folks act like Lindsey divided the fishes and fed the multitudes.

He tried to strangle Stevie once. If she pulled a power play to get him kicked out, maybe it was a case of forgiving but not forgetting.

21. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

Did Finn sing Monday Morning?

22. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I'm pretty sure "non-charting" hits is an oxymoron. How can a song be a hit if people never heard it on the radio nor bought it?

FACE OF BOE and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

Yes, it's one of Christine's best songs!

Former Lee Warmer and Shak Cohen like this.
  24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

She never had to reunite with Lindsey and the band in the first place. And then continue on when Christine left. It would seem odd if that incident was the reason now 30 years on.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  25. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

If it was a popular album track or concert staple.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.