Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by unfastened belts, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

My favorite FM album. "What Makes You Think You're The One" is Mick's finest hour, imo.

2. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

I just burned two DVD-Audios from HDTracks 192/24 download and I'm dying to hear it.

3. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

One of my all-time favorite albums. The mix is a work of art. Opening their follow-up to a mega-platinum album with the wisp-thin "Over and Over" is gorgeous. And I really appreciate that the band took a complete hiatus from drugs and alcohol for its recording.

On an semi-related note, the photo on the first page of the CD reissue booklet features so much retouching on Stevie Nick's face that it looks as if she's wearing a mask.

4. zen

zen Senior Member

Some great moments no doubt, but overall I find the Tusk LP kind of boring. Blame it on the late 70's cocaine mania. The White album it is not.

5. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Thanks for making this observation. I feel the exact same way. I'm still searching for the right term to describe the choice of this song leading off that album. Courageous? Ballsy? Bizarre? Passive aggressive?

Whatever, it works for me.

It's funny that it's said they forsook mental impairment during the recording of Tusk, 'cuz "Over and Over" sounds like nothing other than drugz to me!

6. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

Actually I was kidding. I have no doubt every member of the band was flying on drugs during the entire recording sessions! :laugh:

Listening to it now, I think Christine's songs might well be the best on the album.

7. John Rhett Thomas

Aha! Tongue in cheek sarcasm duly noted. I'm usually pretty good at picking up subtle humor.

I think Stevie's songs have the most concentrated potency. Five tunes and they're all winners. Christine's "Think About Me" is definitely the best single on the record.

I think this might be my favorite Mac record, but I'm a sucker for the "artistic statement double albums".

8. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

One album I've been meaning to get forever.

I have all of Lindsey's solo albums and of course "Rumors" and the most recent FM album, "Say You Will" (maybe my favorite Stevie tune).

Lindsey's tunes being the best on there as usual, though.

Not a huge fan of that green FM Greatest Hits album though. Don't care much for the overplayed Stevie tracks (can't stand her voice is one of the problems).

So I heard Lindsey has some great songs on "Tusk". Also, Christine is my second favorite FM member.

Her single, "Got a Hold on Me" I think may be my favorite solo Mac song. Was Lindsey's "Countdown" a single? If so, it's a tie. Anyway, time to get "Tusk".

Haven't read through the posts... best version to buy right now?

Jeff

9. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Best version is probably the HD Tracks 96/24 release. The mastering is great. I don't have the original vinyl to compare though.

10. Captain Groovy

How's the mastering on the 2004 Deluxe? It has single versions at least. Of course, doesn't have samples to hear... rrr.

http://www.amazon.com/Fleetwood-Mac...1347226664&sr=1-2&keywords=fleetwood+mac+tusk

But I just saw the tracklisting and it has "Rhiannon" on it. Yeesh. That's one of those singles I can't take anymore that I already have.

Need the Lindsey stuff and with hearing there's some good McVie on here, it's a must-buy anyway. Today.

So best on CD?

Jeff

11. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

I had to do a triple-take to confirm it; Rhiannon isn't on the 2004 deluxe edition. And the sound is excellent, btw.

12. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Are you referring to Tusk? Rhiannon was on their 1975 self-titled album, including the deluxe edition.

13. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

Yes, Tusk. I read Captain Groovy's post a few times to make sure that's the album he was referring to as well, although I might have misunderstood.

14. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

The 5.1 mix of Tusk has been finished and sitting in the vaults for years. If you've heard the great job they did with the 5.1 of Rumours it makes it even more frustrating.

Ken C. wrote a good book about the making of Rumours and told me he may do Tusk next.

And I wish they'd release the video from the Sisters of the Moon linked on the previous page. An HBO special, if I recall, with some great stuff. One or two live tracks from it popped up on the Mac box set. That live Sisters of the Moon is about as heavy as Stevie songs ever got.

and I agree with whoever said "Storms" is one of her best songs. If the 5.1 ever comes out I'll be skipping straight to that track.

15. John Rhett Thomas

If you're talking about the 1982 LA Forum show, I believe there was a thread dedicated to that. The version of "Sisters of the Moon" from that show is one of the most scintillating performances I've ever seen captured on film. (Or videotape, whatever.)

I really don't know why they haven't released this on DVD. Of course, I don't know why we haven't seen remasters of Mirage or Tango in the Night. Or Buckingham/Nicks, either.

It's not like the Fleetwood Mac back catalog has been ignored by any stretch, but there are some big holes that remain.

16. fatcat28037

fatcat28037 Forum Resident

17. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Straying a bit off topic here, but I would love a DVD of the 1982 performance. I watched it a number of times on HBO and it made quite an impression on me. 'I'm So Afraid' was the standout track for me. 'Sisters' is also singular.

18. Captain Groovy

19. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

The HD tracks version is really good but I'd recommend the original US vinyl, pretty easy to come by in mint condition and currently very affordable from what I can tell, the sound is simply excellent.

20. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Get it! Especially if you're a Lindsey fan. TUSK is his moment. Loads of great stuff on there. My personal fave is What Makes You Think You're the One. He and Mick alone in the studio late one night and they just let it fly. You can hear the spontaneity, especially in Mick's drumming, which is his best (imo) from that era.

The reissue isn't bad and has the full length Sara. But then I got the 1st pressing Japanese (not sure if tha's a different mastering than 1st US) and that's much better to me.

21. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

No, no, no! I'm not going to buy another copy! Ok, maybe.

22. Captain Groovy

23. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Hers are always the best on all their albums!

24. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

My favorite is "Walk a Thin Line", not just LB's, but from the whole album (although Angel is a close second).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.