Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by unfastened belts, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Not from Tusk, but I'm So Afraid in The Dance is magnificent.

2. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Lindsey's 'That's All for Everyone' is a lovely, warm, rich chocolate cake of a song.

yesstiles likes this.
  3. Depends on how bigs fan you are. I like it as it ncludes rough mixes, alternate takes, rehearsals, etc. plus the studio version of Farmer's Daughter (which they recorded for the live album that followed during a sound check)

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

There was an endless thread on the 2004 remasters where, I recall, most posters seemed to prefer the remaster of TUSK to the original CD (which has an edited version of "Sara"). It may be louder, and perhaps a bit heavy on the bass, but to my ears it does sound more like the vinyl. The bonus disc is essential, especially for guys like me for whom it's not only their favorite FM album but one of the best albums ever by anybody. But if you're looking to just dip your toes, the original disc sounds pretty great too and can be found quite cheaply.

5. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I still have the album that I bought in '79 and it's still in great shape - it's easily my favorite Fleetwood Mac album and the live album from the Tusk tour was pretty darn good too - I loved It's Not That Funny and Farmer's Daughter.

6. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Maybe if you like maudlin ballads. Lindsey Buckingham owned the band from the day he joined and Tusk is his crowning achievement.

7. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Mmmm, maudlin ballads...

Funny that, we all like bands for different reasons. I've never really been a big fan of Lindsay's songs on Tusk (at least compared to other albums) and always lean towards Christine's but I really love the overall band doing those songs. I found some of the Lindsay songs on Tusk like (trebly) quirky demos, him wanting to stand alongside the new wave of the day. It's great stuff but he had a truer path to follow with other songs on many other albums. The song Tusk is pure genious though - what a statement (and single to boot!).

8. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

'Save Me a Place' = sublime!

There is a yearning in a lot of Lindsey's songs that has a direct line right back to the Peter Green era.

9. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

The only problem is that the remaster used an alternate mix of "I Know I'm Not Wrong", probably my favorite song on the album. The original LP mix was not used for some reason.

As an aside, I've always wondered why Lindsey Buckingham used the same bridge in both "Not That Funny" and "I Know I'm Not Wrong". Maybe he ran out of time!

10. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

He also used a bridge for both 'You Do or You Don't' and 'Bleed to Love Her'.

11. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Yeah and he did it again later with "You Do or You Don't" and "Bleed to Love Her". Time certainly wasn't an issue then.

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The original CD (the one with the edited "Sara") used the same mix. I guess it must be the one Lindsey prefers? I don't think the LP mix has ever been on CD.

13. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Thanks. That's too bad as I love the original LP version of that song, but am not as fond of the mix used on the CDs.

Tusk was my first Fleetwood Mac album, bought in late 1979 or early 1980 a couple months after it was released. I remember hoping that the album would contain a longer version of the title song than was on the 45 and being a bit disappointed that it didn't (seems like the sort of song that could have had a fantastic extended 12" mix).

But fell in love with the rest of the album anyway.

14. They all balance each other out.

15. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

I also *love* "That's All For Everyone", and I'm not even sure why, it's such a simple, repetitive song, but I just can't get enough of it.

Which mix of "I Know I'm not Wrong" does the HDtracks version use?

16. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

The original LP one! I think that's the best-sounding digital representation of the album as well. Remaster ain't bad though.

17. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I looked up the original mix on youtube. It's interesting, but I like the cd version better. The original one didn't have any of the background vocals. I like those.

18. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

Well, I guess I don't own this remix then! All I have is an original LP and the HDtracks! LOL

19. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

"Sara" alone worth the price of admission. Lovely. Ethereal. Timeless. Hands down my favorite Mac tune.

20. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I listened to it the other night and it's my fave Fleetwood Mac album. Actually, to go even further, it's one of my favorite albums of all time. "Farmer's Daughter" is fantastic.

21. knotley

knotley Senior Member

I am confused. The Tusk deluxe edition has the studio version of Farmer's Daughter? Not the live version?

22. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

They are similar but not the same... the same but different... though I suspect someone is playing naughty tricks on us and has just done a different mix.

23. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

The two versions of "Farmer's Daughter" sure do sound an awful lot like the same recording, with the version on "Live" having additional percussion and reverb. The "Live" version also runs longer to a cold ending (with faint applause) while the Tusk Deluxe version fades out. If it's not the same performance, they sure did an amazing job replicating it for the live version.

Either way, a great track, and, as someone else noted, would have made an interesting addition to Tusk proper.

24. Funny how it sold so poorly compared to Rumors. Certainly it was pretty radical for FM having said that i agree with Mick Fleetwood that the worst mistake the marketing team Warner hired to promote the album did was to allow the entire album to be played on radio. Lots of folks I knew recorded the album and never did buy it.

25. Rando

Rando Active Member

Loved this track the first time I heard it. I've always thought it has a SMiLE-like vibe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.