Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by unfastened belts, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

What does it say in the chorus? Is it supposed to be "Must be just exactly what I need"? Funny I always hear "sexy" instead of "exactly". :confused:

JimC likes this.
  2. knotley

knotley Senior Member

If almost the same track if not the same track, then I won't buy a copy.

Thanks for the info.

3. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

It seemed to me that at this time Lindsey was definitely being influenced by Brian Wilson, if not so exactly in reproducing his sound (although there were moments) but in the manic quality he brought into the studio. Like Pet Sounds was for Brian, Tusk was his chance to challenge assumptions about what he could do in the studio as leader of one of the (and at the time, arguably the) biggest bands in the world.

4. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

Fantastic album with all five members on top form and not a single dud among the 20 tracks.

JimC likes this.
  5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I also hear "sexy."

6. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I always did too.

7. JimC

JimC Senior Member

8. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Tusk was great record. It has my favorite Stevie tracks. Sisters of the Moon and Storms are Stevie at her peak imo. this record is not perfect but never fails to be interesting.

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He kind of slurs it so it comes out like "Must be just eggzacksy what I need."

I doubt the lyric is "must be just sexy what I need."

10. Rando

Rando Active Member

According to FleetwoodMac.com, here's the opening verse:

"That's all for everyone
    That's all for me
    Last call for everyone
    Must be just exactly what I need"

11. S. P. Honeybunch

They lie. It's: "Must be just too sexy something something." Then again I might be biased from hearing Right Said Fred twenty years before I bought me some Mac.

12. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

Could it be "Must be just too sexy what I need"? Is that even english?

13. S. P. Honeybunch

Proof that a band can spend a million 1979 dollars and still not get a perfectly clear vocal. If the band had listened to James Gang's first album on the studio hifi they would have learned to ENUNCIATE.

14. fifth beatle99

fifth beatle99 Well-Known Member

I think the single, that is the song "Tusk" is unbelievable. It was a big thing at the time hiring the USC marching band to play on the record. The album, I'd have to pair it down to my ten favorites to like every track.

Someone involved with the group said to me, it Mike Curtis who cowrote Blue Letter, he said the album was thought of by people as Fleetwood Mac's White Album. It was only the third studio album of the Lindsey, Stevie lineup but they were already fragmenting. I can't remember Mirage that well but I think that was a return to the more commercial sound of Rumors. At least in my mind.

JimC likes this.
  15. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

I broke down and picked this and Mirage up last week and I gotta say both really impressed me. Mirage does pander a bit towards more getting singles on the radio than Tusk does but both are very tight collections. There was always going to be too large a sales expectation after Rumours so even though sales weren't as large it certainly didn't fail as a piece of art or natural progression forward from the previous two LPs.

16. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Using the word makes on a real ding-a-ling [I too always thought that the song Tusk could work well even much longer.]

17. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

The best song is Sara, especially 6-1/2. My famous profile pic, Sarah Silverman, could use that as her theme song..:) Brings tears to my eyes..

18. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I think a lot of people bought it just on the merits of the song Tusk, which got one hell of a lot of airplay. The album was very well promoted.

I personally don't like all of it, I think it could have been a one disc release.
    It always sounded to me to be a bit of a Lindsey Buckingham playing with studio gadgets and experimenting album.

19. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

The most overrated Mac album probably - it's not "groundbreaking" or "cutting edge" in any way and the material is subpar except for a half dozen tunes. The great title track points to what it should/could have been. IMO.

20. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well it wouldn't be without precedent, as Peter Green had written a song about Mick Fleetwood's genitals almost ten years earlier:

Now, I know this guy
    His name is Mick
    Now, he don't care when he ain't got no chick
    He do the shake
    The rattlesnake shake
    Yes, he do the shake
    And jerks away the blues
    Now, jerk it

willy likes this.
  21. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

First I've heard of it. :wtf:

22. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

I like Tusk and think its one of the their better albums. Some of it is experimental, but songs like Sara and Angel are really well done. I still like Rumours and Mirage a bit more.

23. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Tusk in its entirety, with the pauses as Lindsey Buckingham intended

(start at 1:05 for reference)

24. The band deserves a ton of credit for not going the safe route after Rumours and instead making a challenging, often difficult work that challenged their fan's assumptions. Spearheaded by Lindsey of course, who crafted some absolutely fascinating vocal and instrumental textures - I especially love the close harmony choral work on "Save Me a Place" on Side 1.

For me, their last essential album.

willy and SecondHandNews like this.
  25. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

Yes, let us never speak of 'pruning' the White Album again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.