Flight of the Navigator 1986 on blu ray now spinning!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Gosh I love this movie, my kids and I used to watch it all the time on VHS.

I waited a long time for the blu ray that finally came out about 2 years ago. You know how Disney is about those things.

What a wonderful looking movie and highly underrated IMO.

The blu ray is good, but a bit grainy in some scenes, audio is clean and crisp. Could use a resto for sure.
    I'd love a quality Criterion of this. Disney sucks with how they handle release/ rerelease stuff their stuff.

From the net:
    Flight of the Navigator is a 1986 comic science fiction film directed by Randal Kleiser and written by Mark H. Baker and Michael Burton, about a 12-year-old boy named David who is abducted by an alien spacecraft and finds himself caught in a world that has changed around him.
    The film's producers initially sent the project to Walt Disney Pictures in 1984, but as the studio was unable to approve it, it was sent to Producers Sales Organization, which made a deal with Disney to distribute it in the United States.[4] It was partially shot in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and in Norway, it being a co-production with Norwegian company Viking Film.

[​IMG]

Yeah, but can you fix this seat????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And who could forget the puckmarin?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  2. GuildX700

too many Twinkies blimpo!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] \
    RALF!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the great dog/Frisbee scene:
    [​IMG]

3. GuildX700

Rotten Tomatoes sez:
    Movie Info
    The year is 1978: 12-year-old David Freeman (Joey Cramer), playing in the woods near his home, is knocked unconscious. He awakens and heads home, only to find strangers living there. He also finds that the year is 1986, and that he's been officially missing for eight years. NASA officials determine that David was abducted by aliens during his blackout, and hope to scan the boy's brain in order to unlock a few secrets of the universe. Answering the call of a strange, unseen force, David boards a well-hidden spaceship and takes off, guided by the jocular voice of a computer named MAX (voiced by none other than Paul Reubens, aka Pee-Wee Herman). Realizing that he can't fit in to 1986 so long as he's a child of the '70s, David hopes to retrace the steps of his alien abductors and get back to his own time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

COMPLIANCE!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What are you doing here anyway?

I have been sent from Phaelon
    to borrow samples of life from different galaxies for study
    On this planet, I chose you.

- Why me?
    - Why not?

Back on Phaelon, we discovered that your inferior species uses only ten percent of your brain,
    So we filled it all the way up with star charts to see what would happen.

What happened?

It leaked.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  4. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I remember really liking it as a kid. Pure 80s nostalgia.

GuildX700 likes this.
  5. GuildX700

Well, it's about time we get a fan of the movie! Thanks!

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

This is one movie I'd actually like to see get remade, except with a more serious tone. The sci-fi and time travel elements could make for a really interesting, thought-provoking flick.

GuildX700 likes this.
  7. GuildX700

I'm not so sure of wanting a reboot.

The original is fun, involving, well thought out and well made, as well as fun and family friendly. A hit out of the park IMO.

Although, yes, I do admit in a way it does certainly have the potential for a killer remake.

8. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

It was one of the first movies to really mess with my head as a kid. The part when the boy returns home and finds complete strangers living there - wow, that creeped me out a little bit.

Lost In The Flood and GuildX700 like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, I did the 1980s mastering for Disney on this title at Sunset Post in Glendale. Really terrific film. I was knocked out of my chair when the kid went back home, only to discover that ten years had gone by and his younger brother was now older than he was. Very interesting, complex, twisted film, and they worked out the time-travel elements very well. A surprisingly well-photographed, well-written film.

Lost In The Flood and GuildX700 like this.
  10. GuildX700

Wow, that is so cool to hear you were hands on with the mastering. :righton:

The foreshadowing in the beginning with blimp really set the mood IMO.

I just loved the scene when he came back to his house only to find that older couple there and not his own family.

My kids and I watched this more than a few times back in the day. It's great to have it on blu ray now.

11. GuildX700

Oh hell, I popped the blu ray in again tonight. REPLAY!

Movie and a pizza X2.

Most of the movie is really clean looking, but there are some scenes that are pretty grainy, audio sounds really good.

I love the blimp and water tower foreshadowing an alien ship in the beginning, very cool.

Wow, the color and clarity is really good.

I guess Pee Wee Herman does the voice for the ship. :biglaugh:

The sound track is very fitting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That's why I think the film could use remake that's a bit darker in tone, and more on the serious side.... there are some really interesting concepts in the 1986 movie, but they tend to be overshadowed by all the goofy comedy bits and the cutesy, family-friendly stuff. (Even as a kid, I felt like the movie went downhill after Max started acting silly and talking in the Pee-Wee Herman voice all the time).

Vidiot likes this.
  13. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

wow blast from the past! I totally forgot about this movie, I loved it when I was a kid. thanks for the memories.

GuildX700 likes this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love it! have the DVD...

GuildX700 likes this.
  15. Bob Simmons

Bob Simmons Active Member

Love the movie. Was a favorite of a passed friend of mine as well. Doesn't play on the tube nearly enough, Hardly at all in fact. :-(

As for remakes, blasphemy! :)

GuildX700 likes this.
  16. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I'll pick this one up, once the price drops.

GuildX700 likes this.
  17. GuildX700

Bump made me dig the blu ray out again, now spinning.

Very clean, clear video and audio. Certainly set in it's time period, but what a wonderfully thought out flick.

Again, the foreshadowing of the blimp and water tower were spot on. The special effects for it's day were pretty good too, and the music was fitting. The ship and it's various inhabitants collected from various planets were pretty cool too.

It is still a bit grainy in scenes, a resto would be great, but perhaps this is the best, which is fine with me.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

One of my favorite kids' movies of the 80's! Lots of fun.

GuildX700 and PhantomStranger like this.
  19. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Saw it in the movies back then, it was ok.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Definitely an uneven film. There's some similarities to this film and Big, another film where a kid goes missing for X amount of time and returns, somewhat changed by the experience. Although in the latter, they never covered how the kid would explain why and how he was gone for two months.

GuildX700 likes this.
  21. GuildX700

Given the fact we're in a Disney movie here it certainly was far less "dark" in mood than the storyline could possibly support under another studio, it could easily be wrote off as family/kid fluff by casual viewers and I would understand that viewpoint completely.

But....I've found after years of viewing it does go a bit deeper than that once you really get the overall feel of the movie under your skin.

Vidiot likes this.
  22. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

Where did you get your blu ray copy? I wasn't aware that there was a legit blu ray release of this film. I had the DVD version, but (sadly) it was destroyed in a flood I had about two years ago.

23. GuildX700

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.