Floor standing speaker recommendations <$1500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

I've been very happy with the Revel Concerta series.

Revel - F36

PhantomStranger, SamS and Tim Irvine like this.
  2. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I’d go to a dealer and pick the ones the wife liked.

3. Tim Irvine

Nice speakers that check his boxes. Nice finish.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Well let's not go that far ;)

SteelyNJ, ralphk and Tim Irvine like this.
  5. SamS

Those look really nice! I've always wanted to hear what Revels sound like.

6. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Check out the Ohm Towers. I have a pair that goes nice with an Oppo, Music Hall TT and McIntosh receiver. They're made in Brooklyn I believe and have several models. Check them out on their website. They have different colors also. No sub needed.

7. SamS

8. Tim Irvine

I’m guessing she likes the ones that sound the best. Hey, my wife likes my Pendragons! Take along music she likes for the audition. First thing I played with my new speakers was Blue by Joni Mitchell.

SamS likes this.
  9. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

10. SamS

11. matteos

matteos Stereotype

I sold my KEF R500 used for less than $1500. You could easily find a pair for that price.

12. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

1.7 or smaller Maggies

"Look how thin they are, honey!"

SamS likes this.
  13. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

Haven't had any issues with him yet, been very helpful to me as a matter of fact........

h46e55x likes this.
  14. Ponzio

Ponzio Forum Resident

Specs, looks, the Salk SongTower QWT have it all. Retail for $2K but can be found for $1,500 on the used market occasionally. Just an amazing speaker compared to some of the other speakers mentioned here, some of which I demoed and I feel didn't come even close to matching the Salk's performance. For another $500 you don't have to compromise or wait for the right veneer to go on sale and I think well worth it.
    Salk Sound

drgn95 and SamS like this.
  15. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Great to hear....but I've seen the fights he's had with unhappy customers who wanted a refund for various reasons product related.

16. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Curious why you sold your KEFs?

17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Before I reached your post, this was my recommendation also.

If you are looking for larger floor standing speakers that you can use for HT or just to rock you house (and maybe the rest of the neighborhood, Try to Polk Audio's RTiA7's. I own their larger RTi A9's.

[​IMG]

They are currently on a 40% off sale, direct from Polk for $299.97 each. If you are the type who likes to turn things up a bit, these are the babies to own.

Here is a freshly arrived A9 still in it's shipping carton.

[​IMG]

Note that the Polk RTiA9 is sitting next to a vintage Altec Lansing A7 Voice of the Theater speaker.

The RTi A7's are 42" tall, where the RTiA9'a are Just over 48 1/2" tall. They also make an RTi A5, which is $239.97, also at 40% off and it is 40.25" tall.

This is one of the RTiA9's fresh out of the shipping carton with the grill off.

[​IMG]

The larger ARiA9's have two midrange speakers, where the RTiA7's have only one. And, the RTiA9's have three subs, where the RTiA7's have two.

BTW, the compact tower speaker behind and to the right in the above photo, is a Era D14. Era was later to become Peachtree Audio when they started selling amplifiers.

The D14's are no longer made. The "D" stands for "Design".

The RTiA7's will play down to 20-Hz. but their -3 dB point is 35-Hz.

18. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Oh... to get the KEF R900s :)

SirMarc, Lebowski and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Or you could wait for another one of their 50% off sales and get a pair of LSiM 705s.

The only issue might be their size, but these punch way above their price point if you can get them on sale..

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Guth

Guth Music Lover

I found a store in Seattle selling the Rega RX3’s for $1495.00. As a reference point, I’ve had a number of other well regarded British speakers in my system in the past that I’ve enjoyed including the Harbeth Compact 7, ProAc Studio 100, Spendor SP 1/2e, and S5e. The compact floorstanding RX3’s have proven to be every bit as entertaining and communicative as any of these predecessors. If you tend to enjoy what the British loudspeaker manufacturers bring to the table as I do, then I would recommend giving the RX3’s a listen if there are similar deals to be had in your area.

I can also report that these speakers are built like tanks. We have a one year-old black lab puppy that is fast approaching 90 lbs. Sadly, he has knocked my right speaker over into the built-in cabinet and onto the hardwood flooring twice now. There are likely no speakers that I could afford that would stand a chance against an enthusiastic young lab. Fortunately there is only the faintest of evidence that anything happened to the speaker itself, and that could likely easily be polished out. (The built-in cabinet did not fare nearly as well.)

Helom and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The inside speaker's next to the TV are the larger Polk LSiM707's, weighing in at 99-lbs./ea. Retail price $4,000/pr. I bought this pair on one of their 50% off sales a few years back, for $2,000/pr.

They are playing right now. And, they do punch way above the $2k sale price point. They have been reviewed and been compared to speakers in the $6k to $8k price range. They don't even come close to looking like they came from Polk Audio.

I also have their large LSiM center channel, but it is too large (in height) to fit on the TV stand, so I am still using the large center channel speaker, from the RTi line. I only replaced my RTiA9's (which I also bought a one of the Polk half price sales), after I bought the LSiM707's.

I did a Google search for "Reviews Polk audio LSiM707 Reviews", and here are three reviews from the top of Google search engine results.

www.tonepublications.com/review/polk-audio-lsim707-loudspeaker/

Polk LSiM707 Surround Speaker System

Polk LSim 707 impressions?

[​IMG]

22. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Here you go. Castle Knight 5 floor standers. They sound great, easy to place and drive, and look stunning. Best part. 1300 dollars. 7 different finishes, all real wood. Finished on all 4 sides. Attractive grills if you want to use them. I dont. They are made in China. Owned by IAG, which also owns Quad, Wharfdale, Mission, Luxman and 3 or 4 more companies. Designed 100 percent in the UK, by the former President of Mission. Here is the UK link.

Knight Series

Right now, North American distribution is by a Canadian company, but there is at least one dealer in the USA. I have no idea if anyone close to Texas carries them. Its also damn near impossible to find anything on them in English on the net. I tried.

I go right by the dealer 5 times a week though, so I was able to hear them. I was 99 percent sold on Monitor Audio Silver 300s at another dealer until I heard these. My dealer had just given me a great deal on trading turntables and was getting these in. He asked me to wait 2 weeks for them to come in, that I would regret it if I didnt. He was right, I have had them for a couple months now, and have zero regrets over choosing them over a 2k speaker. In fact, I would have been temped to go for the Castles had the prices been reversed. If you are interested, ping me, and I will hook you up with my dealer. He is a frequent poster on this forum.

After reading my post, it kind of sounds like I am ragging on the MA Silver 300s. I am not, they definitely are one of the best speakers at the price point. They finished second for me this time, but someone else might go the other way. They definitely need to be auditioned. I liked them a lot, and still do.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    SamS and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. Eddie_Sheppie

Eddie_Sheppie Active Member

Recently I bought a pair of floor standing speakers. I bought Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 DOlby Atmos-Enabled Andrew Jones, single was about 500$, so I gave about 1000$ for pair.

I wasn't looking for a "professional" speakers, so I didn't wan't to buy something more expensive. And, for my needs, this was great decision. This speakers has amazing clarity and great bass response which is very "comfortable" for ears.

I can share a link of the website where I found a lot of helpful information about speakers. I'm sure you'll find speakers that fits your budget. Their article is very simple and I'm sure anybody can find great advice. So, the link is https://www.bestproductspro.com/floor-standing-speakers-under-2000

Hope you'll find it useful as I do. :)

SamS likes this.
  24. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Focal 726 owner here. Very happy with them.

Eddie_Sheppie likes this.
  25. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

I ordered a pair of polk rti a7 s from cruthfield on sale for 299 ea.

Dont have them yet...on backorder...currently have polk audio moniter 60 s....which are actually quite good imho....

U also might want to look into fluance...i have a set of their dipole currently using as rears for surround sound and am pretty impressed with them for the $$$ i paid.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.