Floor Standing Speakers with 94-96dB+ Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

Any floor standing speakers out there with 94-96dB efficiency that cost under $1K and, of course, sound good? Used is ok too. Most bookshelf speakers are 86-88dB I guess due to smaller & single mid-bass speaker. I wanted Wharfedale Diamond 225 speakers, but not willing to dump my tube amplifier for a higher power tube amplifier.

I have not liked Klipsch in the past due to the 'biting' treble from the horn and they are rated about 3dB higher than actual performance per what I read anyways.

2. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I am sure you will have to look at the second hand market.

4. allied333

No problem, just do not know what to look for on used market.

5. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Omega, Zu, Tekton, Decware (some models) are are all pretty efficient. There's 2 models of Omega's the Super 3i and Super 7 MK 2 that can be bought new for under $1000. You can also pick up some floor standers every once in w while for under $1000 on the used market.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Nephrodoc likes this.
  6. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

I just picked up these used Omega's for a second system. Omega Super 3 XRS (94.5 dB @ 8 ohms), $465, plus $100 shipping. Keep your eye on the second hand market, Omegas are a great speaker in the range your looking at. Since they are highly efficient, they can be driven by a Chord DAC (DAVE is what I use) for ultimate resolution. I will supplement with a REL T5i subwoofer (great synergy with Omega's), just bought new/package damaged on Amazon for $458 plus tax. Will be a sweet summer home setup.
    Echo Audio | Omega Super 3 XRS
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I45MCY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    beowulf likes this.
  7. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Focal fits what you ask for. In all cases you need to hear the speaker and not judge on sensitivity.

8. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Several or all Klipsch.

9. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Own and like Zu Omen Dirty Weekend / II. Full range plus super tweeter. Bass to 35 Hz, 97 dB efficient (specs). $999/pair new with warranty. Free delivery, 60 days trial period, paid return shipping.

displayname, bhazen and Nephrodoc like this.
  10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

legacy audio.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  11. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

If you mean full-range speakers, that is pretty efficient. I take it you have a pretty low wattage amp? Check out Vandersteen and Golden Ear. I am not sure, but they may have some efficient speakers that you can find used in your price range. I think Golden Ear has some entry level speakers that you can buy new for $1000.

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Speaker specifications are pretty much useless due to varying measurement techniques + exaggeration/lies. Sensitivity is one of those specs, not merely a Klipsch problem but also Zu and others IIRC. However, those are still more sensitive than average. Dang, I was just reading about something actually measured at 94 dB by the reviewer, drivers made by PHL, I'll try and remember what it was. High sensitivity is not exclusively but mostly a DIY thing, sometimes involving horns, since to have high sensitivity and bass requires huge cabinets that most people won't buy [Google "Hoffman's Iron Law"]
    I highly doubt Focal makes anything THAT sensitive, though maybe more sensitive than most.* But your post does beg the question to the OP "why do you want so sensitive"? (In my case, I would like to get more sensitivity to play louder without changing amps, plus the really high output drivers tend to be PA style and high sensitivity).

*As one data point, Focal specs Sopra #3 as 91.5 dB/2.83V/1m. Stereophile measured 89.2 dB, but the impedance suggests this is really 4 ohm speaker and should be driven by 2.0 volts = 1 watt, meaning the sensitivity would be 86.2 dB 1 watt/1 meter. And all these numbers can be affected by measurement environment and technique.

13. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

For $1k, nothing will beat the Koss CM/1030 (96 dB SPL).

That will include the purchase price of a pair in very good to great condition (excellent cabinets / cosmetics, all drivers working / not visibly damaged) and a full professional refurbishment (crossover resistors and probably caps, switches) to like-new condition. (Damaged / non-working drivers will be a problem / will increase the cost.)

Allow $300 for the purchase and $700 for the refurb - with some possible swings either way on both.

Assumes no shipping - either for the purchase or the refurb.

Contact me at [email protected] if you go that route and need help. I've helped literally hundreds of old, new, and about-to-be-new Koss CM owners over the years.

In the many years I've been raising the awareness in these fantastic American-made speakers, more and more people have decided to hold on to them, refurbish them, and not let go of them. As a result it is getting harder and harder to find any non-junkers / frankenspeakers available to buy. But they do come up occasionally. Koss only made 700 pairs (of which I own six pairs).

An alternative is the almost-as-good Koss CM/1020 (95 dB/SPL).

Jeff

ps. That offer of help goes for anyone else reading this post.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  14. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

They do look pretty scary...

15. Metralla

Positively frightening.

16. allied333

My house is rather busy with furniture book shelves, bar, etc.. I have two spaces left about 11-1/2" wide. The Koss are huge.

17. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Sorry. Your OP listed efficiency, cost, floor standing, and sound quality as the characteristics needed - space was not one of them.

Koss CM/1030's dimensions are 16 1/2" (w) x 14 1/2" (d) x 38 7/8" (h), and weigh 74 lbs each.

Personally I'd get rid of furniture in order to accommodate them - but that's just me. :)

Jeff

Metralla likes this.
  18. allied333

Thanks Jeff.

19. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

20. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

As mentioned already: Zu and Tekton are great options

21. Metralla

I love your enthusiasm.

22. Denon Destroyer

Denon Destroyer Forum Resident

Snell EII are a bit lower efficiency than you specified but an easy load, and well worth checking out. I take it you're not using a SET so you'll probably be fine for power. The Snell original K is also a really magical speaker. Just make sure they're in decent condition.

23. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Had a pair of BIC floor standers back in the day. They rocked the house! :righton:

H8SLKC and rockin_since_58 like this.
  24. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I ended up with Silverlines when I was looking for efficient speakers. I found them by being in the right place at the right time.
    Otherwise, I would have never known about them.

Sonatina II's. But I hear the Sonata's are even better.

25. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I had a pair.
    [​IMG]

They could fill a room with some pretty good sound.

An awesome college party speaker paired to a Kenwood KA-9100. Good sound/good times.

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.