Flute: Jazz & Otherwise

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Being from Toronto Canada when I think of Jazz Flautists the first name that comes to mind is Moe Koffman. Moe was a well known local artist whose "Swinging Shepherd Blues" brought him considerable recognition. I was fortunate enough to have seen him play many times in years passed.

I have always liked the sound of the flute and, would be interested in hearing about any flautists/recordings that you feel are standouts. I specially like the cool, laid back jazzy type of sound.

Know anybody?

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Two words, one band.......

Jethro Tull!

(not jazzy, but best use of a flute I've ever heard)

3. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I have always appreciated the flute work from the multi-instrumentalist Roland Kirk. His music is full of talent and a lot of humor. My favorite Kirk album is I TALK WITH SPIRITS with WE FREE KINGS and DOMINO close behind.

Another great flutist, who is also a multi-instrumentalist, is Yusef Lateef. I like his earlier efforts on Prestige & New Sounds best. Check out EASTERN SOUNDS, CRY/TENDER and OTHER SOUNDS for some wonderful music.

Herbie Mann may be the best known jazz flutist. He has not only accomplished himself in jazz but also appears on records by Average White Band and Duane Allman. He's played with the best jazz masters and he's best known for his contributions on their albums.

4. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Hubert Laws is one hell of a Jazz flute player. Jean-Pierre Rampal is another one. I will try to gather some album recommendations for you.

5. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Moe Koffman, very cool, also a great Alto player!!!!!!!!!!:D

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Herbie Mann - Live At The Village Gate and also Push Push (Duane Allman on guitar on this one)
    Dave "Fathead" Newman is also good. Love Rolans Kirk and Yusef Lateef too.

7. davef

davef Forum Resident

Along with Kirk and Lateef, both great multi-instrumentalists, try Eric Dolphy, pretty avant-garde on alto, less so on flute and bass clarinet IMO.

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'll add James Moody and Eric Dolphy, although both were better on the reeds. Sam Rivers, too--one of my favorites. In rock, one band that comes immediately to mind is Marshal Tucker Band.

9. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Gosh yes! How could I have forgotten Dolphy! :eek:

10. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

And what about Tom Scott. He does a mean Ian Anderson type style, although he's predominately a Sax player.Check out"Threshold" by Pat Williams and you'll see what I mean.

11. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

To the recommendations of Kirk, Dolphy, Lateef, and Rivers I'll add James Newton (especially the earler records on ECM and Gramavision: "Axum" and "James Newton" and especially, especially on "I've Known Rivers" with Anthony Davis and Abdul Wadud).

L.

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Herbie Mann also had some good Brazilian themed albums. It's when he "went disco" that the music went downhill. One listen to that awful song "Supermann" is proof. :)

Not a huge flute listener here. My favorite use of flutes is on some of Mancini's recordings...he made use of the alto flute (my preference), and almost singlehandedly resurrected use of the bass flute in many of his arrangements. It has a low, snaky sound that you almost feel as much as hear.

On the other hand, I can't think of any good use for a piccolo. ;)

13. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

There's a lot of nice flute on Chick Corea's "Light as a Feature," courtesy of Joe Farrell. Only parts of the album would qualify as "laid back," though, and Corea mostly plays electric piano, which I consider one of the more annoying instruments on the planet. Still, one of my favorite 70s jazz albums. (The 80s CD release, if you can find it, was mastered by Dennis Drake.)

Also, if I can digress for a moment, I'd like to acknowledge a historical moment in the history of funk: when James Brown, during one of the tracks on the Payback album, commands "gimme some flute" (or something like that) just as a band member launches into a flute solo. Not the type of thing one typically hears on a funk track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.