Focal Electra 1038 Be speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by motorcitydave, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Read this

And THIS from Tone Audio

Both compare to Be series. You've got great speakers as it is. Complete your profile. Curious as to electronics in the chain.

The stand is a must have.

2. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

On Friday the 13th of July I am going to audition the Diablo Utopia. This might end up being an unlucky day for my wallet.

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

At the dealer or in your system? If they aren't broken in for several hundred hours, then you won't really hear what they can do. Placement away from rear and side walls is a factor with these also. Maybe if you know the dealer then you can evaluate them at home on a Sat evening thru Monday or something? I bring this up because I brought my gear to the dealer to audition for many hours over two days with my own CDs. I still wasn't sure, so I bought on faith that my room was better and that the reviews were accurate. Hooked 'em up, was really nervous, but then WOW!! It really hit me. And that feeling continued as they were run in. I'm never out to spend money, but to improve my system. I'm never out to fool myself or justify an expense with false belief, etc. These speakers are really terrific. There are, however, many that cost less that I'd home evaluate if I could.

I'd be curious to know if the OP would ever consider the stand mount plus sub route? Not a perfect solution, but there are always compromises to consider.

4. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

First at the dealer. He has had them for a couplef weeks so they will be nicely broken in. then if I like them he will let me take them home for a full week. The prospect frightens me.

5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Cool!! Ask him to leave them running for a week straight (at least). They need 500 hours. If you don't buy them, then others will hear them the way they should sound. If I were a marketing rep, then I'd train all my dealers to run in any floor model properly before anyone heard it.

Have fun! Oh, and keep in mind that the better the speaker, the greater the benefit from gear upgrades elsewhere in the chain. I've got my system balanced finally. It's been worth the 20 year wait, but I'd have done it sooner had I known what I was missing!

6. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam Thread Starter

Ok, cool, I will. It'll be sometime in November.

I've heard bad things about msshifi!

Good luck!

7. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

The 1027 is a fine speaker as well. It is listed at a bargain price these days.

8. motorcitydave

I see. Thanks for the recommendation.

9. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Those 1027 do look darn nice for the money!

10. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

i have had a pair of 1027BE's for several years now... they are great speakers - even in my challenging living room environment. Been very happy with them. The only thing I dont like about them is the magnetic cover over the very expensive tweeter. My cat is constantly dislodging it when she jumps up to the top of the speaker..... suppose i could put a spike on top or something.....

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That cover has probably saved your tweeter a couple of times by now then...
    -Bill

12. motorcitydave

Anyone else have the Electra 1038's?

13. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Even though this model (1027 S) does not use the beryllium tweeter, might I just add that it's truly a fabulous set of speakers anyway? At that price, it's a steal! I'm even tempted to purchase a pair. For anyone on a budget, these are great speakers! Truly a bargain to be had.

14. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Might be dangerous wading in with a contrary opinion, but ... I have never liked those Beryllium tweeters. They sound like typical metal dome tweeters - harsh, metallic, and downright unmusical. Once you pick that characteristic it will always grate. You need valve amps to soften them, but most valve amps aren't powerful enough. Using a solid state amp only exacerbates the problem.

I really don't see the point.

15. motorcitydave

That's fine. I haven't heard 'em yet so I can't say one way or the other. I will say that I like a good amount of energy in the treble. We'll see what happens...

16. motorcitydave

Sure. Yeah, it's not too shabby. :cool::thumbsup:

17. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I have a set of those in one of my demo rooms. Very nice indeed and priced very attractively as well.
    -Bill

18. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Break in of 500 hours is required for Utopia III line Focal speakers. I've not found a review that wasn't overwhelmingly positive (see HERE). Additionally, my own experience with flagship Cary electronics (including their SS amp) has been exceptional. Note that Focal's Utopia line tweeter ranks up there with the very best money can buy right now (AFAIK) and that their "statement" speaker ranks among the world's best.

19. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Then buy on the used market. :) I picked up a pair of Volent Paragon CL2 for $2K, I have a pair of VMPs subs that I run with them and drive them with an AVA U70. Love them!

20. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

At the end of 2010 I popped into a store in Younge Str Toronto (they had a special on headphones) they also had a demo pair of Maestro Utopia speakers. I heard these in a very ordinary room with solid state equipment and a Esoteric CD player (Disc All For You Dianna Krall) I quite literally nearly wet myself. The sound quality was truelly phenomenal. Ever since then have lusted after the Diablo Utopias but due to room constraint will probably have to settle for the Electra 1008 BE. We should all have such problems.

The point is there was no sense of harshness from these speakers, and I was not aware of what type of tweater they had. Saw the speakers they looked good so I asked to hear them. I was not expecting anything either good or bad so there were absaloodle no expectations. Now as for the Lower Range of Focals V807 etc these I dont like find them to muted.

21. motorcitydave

That's cool, but I'm not crazy about buying on the used market. Maybe a dealer demo after I see and hear the equipment for sale...

22. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I know what you mean about buying used. There are certain things I can't bring myself to buy used. Speakers and turntables are two of them. It's probably more psychological than anything else, because I know there are people who take immaculate care of their stuff. I certainly do, and when I sell old gear, it's always in great condition, but I'd rather have new.

I'm ok with gently used power amps however.

23. motorcitydave

Thanks. Well, for one thing, if you go to the seller's place and audition it, and look at it, then maybe. A big maybe. But sending thousands of dollars to some unknown person on the internet based on a few photos, no way man. Anyway, that's my take...:D

24. MoreWatts

MoreWatts Forum Resident

Isn't Focal one of the few speaker makers that manufacture their own drivers? A French company, right?

25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

They once supplied Wilson with tweeters if I'm not mistaken. But yeah, Focal is a large French manufacturer. They do it all and from the cost no object down to car audio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.