Focal Electra 1038 Be speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by motorcitydave, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam Thread Starter

Correct on both. But only the cabinets for the Electra and Utopia series are made in France. The other series' are outsourced.

2. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Going on Friday morning to have a good long session with the Utopia Diablos. Unfortunatly he does not have the Electra 1008 BE in Stock (Actually there is not a pair in Israel at the moment). Both looking forward to and dreading the experience.

Has anyone heard both of the models mentioned side by side? What are the differences.

Cheers

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Diablos are more dynamic and revealing. They can also sound a bit brighter for it. The Diablos require top quality electronics, where the Electra, as transparent in signature as they are, are a bit more forgiving. You could also buy a pair of Electra 1028 Be for less than the Diablos...
    -Bill

4. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Using a Musical fidelity A5.5. Source is a Project 2 Xperience with Grado Platinum Cartridge. How does this match with both the Electra and or diablos?

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Diablos will more readily reveal flaws in both recordings and in connected equipment. The Electra is a more well-rounded partner for most systems. I'd definitely rather have the larger Electras than the Diablos. The Diablo is actually a rather large stand mount speaker and when you factor in stands, it takes equally as much room I really like the slightly warmer presentation of the Electra and the added bass response. Your amp has plenty of power for that.

The resolution of the Diablo is incredible. It is something on order of an electrostatic speaker in that regard yet it has better dynamics and dispersion. The drawback is that it can make some listeners pickier about recordings being played and while it doesn't really have a harsh bone in its structure, it can be so intensely clear and dynamically bright that its sheer resolution and dynamic swings can be a little tiring. I prefer to tame it with a tube amplifier.

I think the amp is well suited to the floor standing designs due to its power reserves. The table might be upgraded as well as the cartridge but it delivers a warm and smooth sound, so tonally you'll be very pleased. It is just lacking a bit in terms of resolution. If you have a chance to hear the new Rega RP6, that would be a great improvement in dynamics and resolution for the table. Coupled with the Electra speakers, you'll have a full range and highly resolving system that has a good tonal balance and which you can listen to for hours without fatigue.
    -Bill

6. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Really appreciate the feed back thanks. Might have to visit you (on line)for a different cartridge)

If I did go for the 1008 BE and without upgrading the Turntable, Which cartridge would you recomend?

7. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Another thought I could always add a good tube based phono stage. Would this tame the Diablos?

8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The Diablos simply aren't forgiving. The upside is that upgrades in the chain may have a dramatic impact on the sound quality. I found this to be the case upgrading from a Logitech Transporter front end to a Cary 306. Had I been blind folded, I'd have wagered that someone swapped out my entire system. Seriously. Even after break in of the 306 and having listened for many hours, I'm still caught off-guard as I play CDs for the first time post-upgrade.

Fortunately, I think Cary gear is a nice match. Granted, if I could spend several times more then I get the feeling that the Diablos would just keep getting better. Additionally, I only care to play well mastered CDs and SACDs (from all genres) and I'm not too interested in new music released today. I don't think anything with a hint of loudness wars compression/limiting would go over well. Again, this isn't a concern for me but likely would be for most.

The resolution of the Diablos is pretty insane. They aren't "bright" in a bad way and they aren't "forward" necessarily, but there is an immediacy. Maybe not a good description. And they are VERY fast. All of my electronics are relatively "fast" too. I don't think everyone is going to like the Diablos, at least right up front. I'm curious as to how I'll respond to less resolving, more forgiving speakers after spending another year with Diablos.

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Only for the phono and also most likely at the cost of resolution and noise. Your cartridge is very warm sounding as is the table. So in your case, it's the CD that will be brighter and the Lp that will be noisier. The speakers will allow you to hear more of those traits. It's not a matter of you needing to or wanting to tame the Diablo from you Lp source, rather how clearly the Diablo will allow you to hear its limitations. It could make it sound a bit more thin, hard to say without knowing what speakers you have now. It's really the lack of really deep bass and the supreme clarity of the highs that magnify upper frequency issues with sources. A poorly mastered recording will not be able to hide in mush as with some low efficiency, soft dome designs.

I'd work more on the front end with either speaker rather than the amp. Also, I'd go with the 1028 rather than the 1008. If you have a budget for the Diablo, you'll get more low frequency response and still save money. As nice as the stand mounts are, I'd never go back to them after having full range speakers of the same quality.
    -Bill

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Since you are enjoying the Grado Platinum, I think the Reference Master would be a great upgrade. That has the same warmth and sweetness but much improved resolution and soundstage.
    -Bill

11. motorcitydave

How's the bass on the 1038be?

12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Bass is deep, down to an honest 33hz with only a 3db roll-off. It can be very powerful but is also very accurate, so it is determined by the recording. The resolution is excellent, so you get harmonics and detail there, not just boom.
    -Bill

13. motorcitydave

Very cool, thanks for your assessment! :cool::thumbsup:

14. kzhtoo

kzhtoo Member

There's one 1028Be on Audiogon in Basalt finish right now. Looks quite nice.

15. motorcitydave

Cool, good to know.

16. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Off tomorrow to hear the Diablos. I am hoping that he has a pair of Electras in the store(any model will do)so that I can compare them. Will report back after Sunday. Wish my bank balance luck

17. kzhtoo

kzhtoo Member

Keep us posted. Diablo will be my next upgrade :)

18. motorcitydave

Ok, cool, good luck!

19. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

24 hours have passed since I heard the Diablo's and I have had a chance to formulate some thoughts.

My first impression was WOW How can sound like that come out of 2 boxes. These speakers are scary good.

Equipment used was Musical Fidelity M6 Amplifier and CD player cables both interconnects and speaker were Van Den Hull.

Music
    Diana Krall – All for you
    Pink Floyd - DSOM
    Louis Bellson- Intensive Care
    Barney Kessel – Poll Winners XRCD
    Michael Franks – Birchfield Nines
    SRV – Track Tin Pan Alley
    Orff – Carmina Burana
    Paganini Violin concertos 1 + 4 (Salvatore Accardo)

The speakers handled all types of Music effortlessly, from the challenging full orchestra and choir of the Carmina Burana to the single vocals of Diana Krall.

These speakers are definitely in your face but not in a bad way, the vocals of Diana Krall can only be described (by me) as breathy if that makes any sense. I almost felt as if the Lady was breathing on me whilst singing, that’s how real it was.

The Violin concertos gave you the sense of listening to a live concert not 2 boxes.

In Fact everything I listened to just sounded better. I certainly understand Bills comment about needing to tame them with tube amplification, however that kind of wildness I could force myself to live with, without too much effort.

Only one small Negative (and it is a small one) I found the Bass extension to be a little lacking especially at the beginning of DSOM, but this is a personal feeling as I enjoy (even crave) low Bass. Problem easily solved with a good sub.

Do I want the speakers ABSALOODLE YES? I wont however be buying them as they are out of my price range (60 000 NIS) which comes out a tad over $15 000.

With the thought that the Electra 1008 BE gets to 90% or so of the Diablo's (at less than half the price) that is what I have ordered in Slate Grey. I have ordered these on a leap of faith, not having heard them. I of course don’t have to take them if I don’t like them (although I am sure I will).

Am I disappointed absaloodle not. I consider myself privileged that I was able to hear what to me is the best stand mounter out there. I would go as far to say they are as good as any speaker I have ever heard, and I have heard a few.

Anyone buying these will I am sure be completely content for many years.

I will be revisiting these pages once I have had the Electra's for a couple of months for advice on Cartridge upgrade

20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The Diablos are expensive and I wouldn't have paid $15,000 even if I could afford it (which I couldn't have). I think $11,000 is a fair price including the stands.

I'd expect a typical audiophile to match the Diablos with near world class components. You will then hear how extended the bass is among other things such as stunning resolution, ridiculous speed, and three dimensional soundstage. Break in of a solid 500 hours is also a must. The best digital mastering for any give album will come to life. One would have to invest a good bit to hear these at their very best. I've done all that I can within my budget (or a decent bit beyond, actually) as far as electronics. Cary has been paired with Focal in the past and for good reason. My primary shortcoming now is my entry level speaker cables and interconnects, but I'm not in any hurry.

Pittsburgh locals are welcome to PM for an audition. You won't be disappointed.

21. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

I agree with everything you have said bass is among other things such as stunning resolution, ridiculous speed, and three dimensional soundstage.

Unfortunatly speakers here carry a 30% import tax which makes them rather pricey. You were able to hear both the Diablos and Electras in one sitting. Please post your immpresions.

BTW the price I quoted was without the stands

22. endust4237

endust4237 Forum Resident

I had a chance to hear a Diablo Utopia with a pro MC2 Audio S1400 amp and a Lavry DA10 DAC driving the amp with no preamp but directly. Stunningly lifelike system, someways it was like an extremely good even perfect PA system with a sound engineer doing his job perfectly. It was extremely revealing but on a good way, found the best way to present music on its best light. An experience not to forget.

23. motorcitydave

Thanks for the reviews!

24. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I hope you're doing as much actual listening as you are reading and asking for opinions on audio forums.

25. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.