Foghat-SACD of "Fool for the City" in Nov

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

MFSL has announced this album for an SACD release in November. I see no mention of a multichannel 5.1 version. Anybody know if this is going to be just a stereo SACD? My brother is a huge fan but I just cant see enough interest for an SACD of Foghat----opinions?

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Do you have a link? I can't speak for anyone else, but I would buy this in a heartbeat.

I don't follow every development from MFSL, but I thought they were only doing gold CDs now.

3. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm certainly interested. This album kicks major ***. My copy is backordered.

As far as surround goes, I'd bet that this is a stereo-only disk direct from the master-tape.

4. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Check the MFSL website--its up.

5. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

MFSL only does stereo or mono hybrid SACD's. The mechanical royalties for doing a 3-layer(CD Stereo/SACD Stereo/SACD Surround) disc is simply too high.

6. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

They have released at least one SACD in the past year (Pixies - Doolittle Ultradisc UHR™ SACD), and have two more announced that will hopefully come out before the end of this year:

Foghat - Fool For The City Ultradisc UHR™ SACD

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On Ultradisc UHR™ SACD

Art Pepper - ...The Way It Was! Ultradisc UHR™ SACD may have also been released in 2008?

It's not a lot, but it is a clear indication that they have not completely abandoned the format.

Craig(VC).

7. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

Sweet! I'm all over this one.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm in!

Slooooooooooooooow Riiiiiiii-iiiiiiiiiiiide!

9. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

tower.com has this up for pre-order, supposedly coming out Dec. 9

(tower.com calls it a CD, but that's typical of them)

What's Going On is there also.

Under $20 on both of them.

Note: They do charge your card right away for pre-orders.

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Is it the royalties or the remixing costs? I don't believe this ever came out in quad, but I bet if it had we might have seen at least a four channel version.

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Good price but I hate when someone does that. If the items gets pushed back 3 months they still have your $$.

12. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

You have the ability to cancel the order online anytime up until they ship it. Then you'll get a refund in a few days.

But, yea I don't like it either, so I've put off ordering the Gaye disk and just ordered the Foghat. I ordered a currently available disk at the same time, which they'll ship separately, and it's still free shipping.

13. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Well, maybe I should have pre-ordered the Gaye title. It's gone up $7 since yesterday.

14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

MFSL has done M/C for a couple of classical releases. The issue is that Mofi does reissues of original albums. They're not gonna create surround mixes.

The whole 2 & 3X mechanical royalty thing is way overblown. U.S. rates are lower than Europe's and they got more rock Sack-Dees and more hybrids.

Sony didn't want to neogiate, in good faith, an SACD rate for the U.S. that gave anything more to the content providers. So they blew this story about what an obstacle the publishers were. Other labels had no problems issuing hybrids. So-ny greed to the rescue again and they tried to play off the blame.

The, then, big 5, snookered the publishers into a poor deal on CD years ago. The publishers wanted a raise of some sort on SACD and Sony just scoffed at them and us.

If Mofi did an album that had a Quad mix from the early 70's, maybe, we might see M/C.....?

15. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Well, they did Edgar Winter Only Come Out At Night, which was one of the very best quad mixes of the 70s, and just gave it to us in stereo. Very disappointing.

Cowboy Junkies is multi-channel, with some sort of synthesized surround mix.

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That's more like it. Sometimes they don't get the discs as fast as the audiophile outlets but their prices are better.

18. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

You're right about the Edgar. Maybe the label wouldn't provide the Quad mix? ....or lost it?

I quit listening to M/C mixes on my Sack-Dee's. I hadn't even noticed that the Junkies had one. That was a newly recorded album. The Junkies must of providd the M/C...?

19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

What's Going On had a quad release in Japan. Zero chance of MFSL letting us have it. Less than zero.:mad:

20. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

Might want to say something to Tower, as, it's a Federal law that they cannot charge until ready to ship when using a credit card.

Rick

21. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Looking forward to What's Goin' On. It will make a nice Xmas pressie.

22. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Interesting. fye.com does the same thing. Are you sure there is a law, or is that just a credit card company policy?

23. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

:realmad:

I see in the recent Acoustic Sounds catalog the SACD has been rescheduled for March.

What gives???

From now on I'll ignore relese dates and just enjoy the music when I get my hands on these things.

24. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Has the vinyl also been pushed back? A few weeks ago I called Music Direct to enquire about the SACD release date. During said discussion the person on the other end of the line informed me he had just heard the test pressing of the Fool For The City LP and that it sounded fantastic.

I don't understand what could be holding things up if a test pressing was done. Artwork maybe?

25. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

tower.com and amazon both just changed the release date from 12/9 to December 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.