Foghat-SACD of "Fool for the City" in Nov

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I did a quick shootout between my old Bearsville LP and the new SACD. The SACD is from a cleaner sounding source with better dynamics and a better low end. The old LP is muddy by comparison. I just find it a bit bright. If your system has a treble know (mine doesn't) you can dial it back and enjoy the disc.

2. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Thanks Sean :thumbsup: much appreciated.

I wonder how the old cd compares? Ive always found this album to be a bit thin sounding...

3. Pug

I don't have the old CD so I can't compare 'em.

4. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Mine is on it's way. And yes, I find that many of the latest MFSL are a little too bright for my taste also.

Has anyone done a comparison to the original CD (Rhino/Bearsville)?

5. Rock Klammer

Rock Klammer Formerly pompatusoflove

I still can't describe this a excessively bright. Slow Ride sounds the best I've ever heard it sound. System differences I'm sure (or I could be going deaf). :winkgrin:

6. Pug

I didn't call it excessively bright, but it is a brighter than I would prefer. It certainly doesn't cause me to run from the my stereo covering my ears,

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I like the original bearsville vinyl. IIRC, mine has "RL Sterling" in the deadwax. I like the sound of it. As far as I'm concerned, it's their best album. The old is ok too.

8. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Too bad....
    Maybe there is hope with upcoming Alice Cooper,Doobie Brothers and Cars discs.

9. Pug

Mine doesn't say Sterling in the deadwax. Apparently I need to upgrade my LP.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'd like to know how the SACD stacks up against the original CD.

11. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Me too. I think the original CD sounds nice, but I hoping for even better.

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

But I can't even order it from MOFI yet.

13. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

But you can order it from Music Direct - remember Music Direct owns Mofi - so ordering from Music Direct is like ordering from MOFI.

Music Direct always ships MFSL product before anyone else.

14. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Fred (jonifan) says he has some. 10% discount & shipping. :righton:

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

well, i'll dig it up to double check. I do recall "RL" though. :)

16. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Wish I still had my original Bearsville LP.

I remember it sounding very good.

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Does it say Order Status: Closed on your order ?

I'm curious what that means. I've sent a email to them but don't expect to hear back until Monday.

18. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

An order is CLOSED on Music Direct, at least in my case, when it either ships or you call them to cancel. Is there still an amount in Order Total? If so that means they probably shipped your order. Also there should be a column on the order receipt page for Tracking Info. Either it will say "see receipt" or it will actually list the tracking number. If it says see receipt - the receipt will indicate how the order was shipped. On the other hand, if you go to VIEW your receipt and the order total is zero, then you, if you didn't cancel your order, may have an issue. Otherwise it seems they processed your order and shipped it to you.

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Yeah, closed means it is on the way to you. My Foghat and Marvin Gaye Let's Get It On order is now marked closed. :goodie:

20. Pug

I didn't order my copy online. I drove down to Music Direct to pick my copy up.

21. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I received my copy yesterday and gave it a spin last night. I like it. The guitars do have some bite to them--which may be the brightness some here are mentioning--but most of Foghat's albums were recorded that way to begin with. Mofi decided not to tamper too much with the band's signature sound. Kudos to them.

Also, I believe I am hearing the mastertape for the first time. The initial clue is the seperation between the instruments. This album breathes--finally. The dynamics are improved too over all previous versions (original vinyl, original CD, Castle remaster from 1999) I've heard. The drums have more pop, and cymbal transients are as concise and clean as I've ever heard them (from this recording).

Then there's the fact that this is the only version I've experienced in which the beginning of My Babe does NOT overlap with the ending of Fool For The City. That means all other versions probably came from a first gen. copy (or later) tape.

Finally, even though the album notes state Fool For The City was recorded and mixed at one studio (Suntreader), it sounds to me as if two studios were used. The quality of the drum tracks varies from song to song.

22. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Got mine today. #00239.

23. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

This is a major bass-fest. Sounds excellent cranked up if your speakers and foundation can handle it. I don't know of a harder rocking SACD. Hope there's many more to come.

24. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Night Shift would sound nice on SACD.

25. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I have listened to this SACD twice so far.

Unfortunately for me personally, my apartment situation with upstairs neighbors is not going well, so out of consideration for them, I have to either listen on headphones, or turn my system's lowest bass frequencies off when listening via loudspeakers. So take this mini-review with that in mind. . . .

I first listened on headphones but was not very impressed. Sounded too bright, but I can point to a few aspects of my headphone system that are contributing to that. Still, it sounded pretty good.

It wasn't until I listened again the next day via loudspeakers, though, that this SACD really impressed me. Even though I have some bass frequencies cut off (effectively turning my tower speakers into decent "bookshelf" speakers), the drums and bass guitar sounded great. Lots of separation of the instruments; this album doesn't sound muddy at all to me.

Unlike my experience via headphones, over loudspeakers this SACD doesn't sound too bright to me at all. I've never owned this album before in any format, but I do have a Foghat LP on Bearsville (Stone Blue), and that LP always sounded bright to me as well, so I agree with DPM who suggests that the original Foghat recordings were a bit bright anyway.

Setting aside sound quality and speaking of the music, it's a much better album than I thought it would be. Even beyond the two hits that I already know very well, there are some good rockin'/bluesy songs on here! :)

Craig(VC).

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.