Foobar Skins

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Freebird, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215. Thread Starter

Not much body to this post but I’m looking for suggestions for Foobar skins that are visually pleasing but informative and powerful enough to handle and navigate through a large music library.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Let me be the first to suggest the DarkOne skin, probably the most popular of them. Version 4 is the newest, but I prefer Version 3.1.

mds likes this.
  3. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Completely agree, although there's a 4.x minor update that I prefer over the regular 4.0. Also, it's pretty easy to tweak it to your liking if you're willing to get into foobar's scripting language a bit.

4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, I tweaked my skin quite a bit as well. Though I have to admit, I didn't find it easy at all. It was mostly trial and error for me. I probably should make an effort to really get into Foobar's scripting language.

jkauff likes this.
  5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Yes, when I used Foobar, it was DarkOne all the way.

6. mds

mds Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation for the DarkOne skin and link. Worked perfect. Great instruction, easy to follow and install. Most important looks great!

Freebird and wolfram like this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Freebird likes this.
  8. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215. Thread Starter

The DarkOne skin is awesome! Thank you!

wolfram likes this.
  9. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Fair play for perseverance above but I gave up on this after 15 minutes of faffing. Firstly having to install ColumnsUI from somewhere, then the Dark Theme. Then the realisation that I have to install a further 11 plugins to get the Dark Theme config file to install.

No Thanks. No wonder Foobar gets a bad rap in its usability, it shouldn't be this hard to install a skin ffs

[​IMG]

10. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Did you read the installation instructions in the ZIP file? A very clear step-by-step guide that will get you up and running in about 10 minutes.

BTW, everything you need is in that ZIP file. No need to track down components.

11. uncle

uncle Senior Member

I cannot for the life of me follow the install instructions. Makes zero sense to me. Sucks there isn't just a one click option.

12. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

foobar stores component files in two different folder locations, one for the default components and another one for "optional" user-installed components. Looking at that second folder (in your Windows user folder under AppData/Roaming/foobar2000) should help you understand where the various Dark One files need to go.

13. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

1. In Foobar, File → Preferences → Display and choose Columns UI as your User Interface Module.
    2. Restart foobar
    3. Run the DarkOne4 .exe file
    (you may have to rename the file extension from .7z to .exe first)
    4. Import the file DarkOne4 .fcl from the folder ...\foobar2000\themes\DarkOne4 via:
    File →Preferences → Display → Columns UI → Main tab → FCL importing and exporting → Import

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.