For Country Music Collectors, post your latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by baptistbusman, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate Thread Starter

I spent most of my afternoon listening to my Red Simpson box. Please don't be afraid of his trucker songs. They may be about trucks, and some about being a police officer, but they are some of the best, most fun Bakersfield recordings I have found. There are plenty that aren't them based also. He was a fully developed artist on his first recordings, and could have been huge if he had put his mind to it.

McLover, Nice Marmot and The Killer like this.
  2. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate Thread Starter

How is the Margo Smith Best of?

3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I don't mind trucking songs in fact, one of my faves, the Dale Watson Truckin' Sessions have got some great tracks on them, now available as a bargain 3 volume set on 3 CD's.

4. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

It is awesome & full of originals! Worth every penny!

5. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

That episode of "Lost" was the first time I had ever heard the song, at least I think so. And yet it seemed like I had known it my whole life, it's one of those kinds of songs. That's why I bought the album too.

It also has the original demo version of "Crazy", which is supposed to be the version Patsy Cline heard and immediately covered, and you can tell she didn't stray far from Willie's original.

There are a few other good songs here too, but "Are You Sure" is 'the one'. :agree:

Hard to believe that song did not become part of his regular routine.

6. The Killer

I'll be busy for a couple of minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Svein Arne, McLover, Mr. H and 4 others like this.
  7. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Picked this up for 50 cents on CD today:
    [​IMG]

Tanya Tucker - Greatest Hits Encore

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My most recent acquisition is the Louvin Brothers Complete album collection on Enlightenment spanning 1958-1962.

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  9. revolversoul

revolversoul Forum Resident

Just received this one. [​IMG]

10. GypsyDavey

GypsyDavey Forum Pyromaniac

11. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

In my opinion, the best three CD's to have that covers Tanya Tucker's hits would be these:
    [​IMG]
    I have all three & they're great! Along with these three CD's I'd like to add my absolute favorite
    Tanya Tucker album ("Tanya Tucker") but I'm still waiting & hoping. Maybe one day.
    [​IMG]

Johnny Reb likes this.
  12. BradOlson

Also, the Greatest Hits collection from 1989 by Tanya is great as well.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Brad, how is the sound on this Louvins box set? Do you think there's any possibility that label might have cloned the tracks from the Bear Family box set?

14. The Killer

This has alerted me to a serious administration error in the goods inwards department, I ordered this months ago but there's no stock receipt, heads will roll.

melstapler likes this.
  15. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Good thing you remembered! That seems to happen to me quite a bit as well. I suppose when you buy hundreds of discs each month, the odds are greater that an item will be lost in transit or forgotten. I don't mind that so much, as long as the item is replaceable and not OOP or expensive.

The Killer likes this.
  16. The Killer

Found it, misfiled!

Listening now, it's actually pretty good sound quality, to be fair you can hardly complain considering the price, I paid less than £9 for this.

17. The Killer

There's a Raven Records 2 Cd set called The Upper 48 which is very good, it's got that great duet with Delbert McClinton - Tell Her About It on it, the album spans about 25 years I think. Worth picking up.

snowman872, melstapler and Johnny Reb like this.
  18. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Thank you for the recommendation. I will check it out.

The Killer likes this.
  19. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

Mack Self - Vibrate - Gee Dee CD. Obscure rockabilly/country artist, briefly on SUN in the 50's.

melstapler likes this.
  20. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I like this box set of hers: [​IMG]

melstapler and Johnny Reb like this.
  21. BradOlson

It is likely cloned from the Bear Family box but for the price, it is actually worth having. BTW, the name of the box is "Complete Recorded Works 1952-1962" when in fact, there are non-LP singles that do not appear on this Enlightenment boxed set (many would be on LPs that were released past the 1962 album release cut off due to European public domain rules). For those on a budget looking for these singles, get "When I Stop Dreaming: The Best of the Louvin Brothers" on Razor & Tie (mastered by Steve) AND "20 All Time Greatest Hits" on Gusto or The Christian Life boxed set on Proper. For the albums released after these albums were released, Gusto has released those on CD as well for those interested and can't afford the boxed set.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    The Killer likes this.
  22. Randy Tater

Randy Tater Well-Known Member

23. The Killer

Christian Life - check
    Best of on Razor and Tie - check

Couple of other Louvin discs that are quite interesting are The Country Music Foundation CD Radio Favorites 51 - 57 which is mainly Opry stuff and Live at The New River Ranch on Copper Creek records, this was recorded live in 1956, considering the setting and year the quality is surprisingly good, there's goofy Louvin banter between songs too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So these aren't new to me but they ought to be for folks that haven't got them, quality stuff.

melstapler and hominy like this.
  24. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Scored all this early Willie Nelson at a garage sale on Saturday. The guy had several boxes of Willie related memorabilia and records that had apparently belonged to a member of Willie's road crew that he found left behind in a apartment he moved in to...... there were autographed pictures and posters, press photos, birthday cards, personal letters.. an original script for Red Headed Stranger, all kinds of neat stuff. I passed on it even though the prices were cheap. I'm kind of kicking myself for not pricing an autographed Waylon Jennings poster though. Anyhoo, these records were $1 each:

[​IMG]

That Long Ryders one actually came from a thrift store nearby, they're country-ish, I think? :)

Svein Arne, McLover, zebop and 6 others like this.
  25. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Went in blind on this one. Two CDs of Doug (and sometimes Rusty) Kershaw demos isn't a product you'd expect, but it's not bad. A lot of the material shows a very different sound from what they ended up releasing.

The recording dates listed for some of the songs seem way off the mark. This one was supposedly recorded in 1962, but I'd say even '72 is pushing it. A version of it appeared on his 1978 album The Louisiana Man, so that's probably closer to when this demo was made:

The Killer, Johnny Reb and melstapler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.