For Country Music Collectors, post your latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by baptistbusman, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

One more -- The package says this was recorded in 1964, but '66 seems more likely as that's the year a number of groups including The Newbeats and The Tremeloes released it. Very strong Byrds/Beau Brummels folk-rock flavour.

Hurakan, John B Good and The Killer like this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very neat! This is a nice companion piece to the "Louisiana Men" 2CD comp on Ace.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  3. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

4. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

David Nail - Fighter

Just heard his new album online and ordered 2 CD copies. One is for my sister.

It's mainstream country-pop but he's got brains and a great voice and the whole album is really solid.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    melstapler likes this.
  5. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I was listening to some CD's by Lefty Frizzell the other day, Songs of Jimmie Rodgers and That's The Way Love Goes (The Final Recordings of...) they're both excellent, from each end of his recording career too, it prompted me to pick up some more, the only other discs I have is the 2 CD Legacy set Look What Thoughts Will Do. Ended up getting a used Proper Box 4 CD set for a fiver, comes with a surprisingly good booklet, so you get 86 tracks including 12 from a Country Music Time - Navy Transcription. It ain't Bear Family but it's pretty good and for the money who's complaining.

[​IMG]

Hurakan, jonathan, Lucretius and 3 others like this.
  6. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I've been thinking of picking up JSP's Lefty Frizzell box. It's similar to that Proper set but covers a bit more ground ('50-'59).

How are the liner notes for JSP releases? They all advertise including a discography, but does that include session personnel and recording dates, or just release information?

7. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

While I haven't heard the JSP Lefty Frizzell box you speak of, from *my* experiences they don't always use the best sources for their releases. I have a JSP set by Blind Lemon Jefferson and while it contains the most material for the best price, I find myself reaching for the much shorter but better sounding Yazoo collection.

8. The Killer

Dunno about the JSP (I've only got one set and that's discs only) but I seem to recall reading that info wasn't up to much. Proper has session info, dates and musicians.

9. The Killer

Couple of thrift store finds today, the Randy Travis LP's although opened still have the shrink on and all the vinyl is really clean. I've got no idea what a whole C W McCall album sounds like but I'm hoping it's OK.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Picked up several country CDs today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steve...O and revolversoul like this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Last week, I picked up a copy of international country star Cliff Joseph's first CD. He has 2 other available CDs, although I haven't been able to locate those as of yet.

The Killer likes this.
  12. Johnny Reb

[​IMG]

The new Highwaymen - American Outlaws box set! :righton::pineapple:

13. wareagle69

wareagle69 Forum Resident

Marty After Midnight - Marty Robbins

[​IMG]

14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Kultur DVD of George Jones - nice way to get an overview of the man. Had never really paid attention to him.

The Killer likes this.
  15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My musician friend Ryan Humbert has started a new Country band (Shooter Sharp & The Shootouts) and he came over to my house to preview the tracks on their just released CD, prior to having it mastered, so he could hear how it sounded on my different sound systems. They recorded the entire album in one day, up in Cleveland and I think that it's a great mix of covers and originals, that ring pretty true to the old classic Country sound, while still sounding hip to today,

Samples of the songs and some great photos of the band in their "outfits" are found here …

shootoutsmusic »

16. The Killer

You should, he's quite good!

17. Johnny Reb

Fantastic find!

18. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

[​IMG]

I picked this up Friday.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  19. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I recently scored a copy of this also.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  20. Johnny Reb

I'm going to play the DVD tonight, can't wait!

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

22. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

My absolute favorite set of CDs!! Turned me on to so many classic country songs. Before I bought this set, I'm ashamed to admit, I didn't own a single Eddie Arnold song. Not sure I could identify his voice before: sure can now!!

Johnny Reb and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  23. Exile On My Street

How much did you get it for, @Johnny Reb ?

24. Johnny Reb

$29 including shipping, brand new from a third-party seller on Amazon! Just before I was going to order it, they lowered the price $5, a nice touch.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  25. Exile On My Street

Wow, great deal!! Right now it's about $35 including shipping, think I'm going to hold out a little longer. How do you like it?

Johnny Reb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.