For Country Music Collectors, post your latest acquisitions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by baptistbusman, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

I'm not what you'd like to call a country collector, 'cause I hate to limit myself to one genre. Here's one of my latest additions:
    'The Blade' - Ashley Monroe . (US Warner/Nashville - 549777-1; 2015)

. [​IMG]

. [​IMG]

. [​IMG]
    This is an incredibly great album! . [​IMG]

2. devildavid

devildavid Forum Resident

I have considered Jimmie Rodgers because he is so important a figure. Problem is, when I listened to samples, I wasn't crazy about all the yodeling he does. It seems that is a large part of his music. Is my impression correct?

3. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Wonderful new album by coal miner's daughter!!

wlove2372, Marzz, Nice Marmot and 2 others like this.
  4. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate Thread Starter

Kind of. He takes a few listens, but when you really listen deep to him, his guitar playing is awesome as are his lyrics. You have to get to know him, and realize he is doing this almost with no influences from the beginning. He is extraordinary. It took me years and years of trying to get into him and the last month I listen almost daily.

Muleskinner Blues, California Blues, Any Old Time and others are essential. Try to find his Bear Family set cheap on eBay so you have the book too.

sami and devildavid like this.
  5. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

Some of my favorites are Johnny Cash, Johnny Horton, Marty Robbins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Waylon Jennings, Rodney Crowell, Steve Earle.

There are inexpensive single disc compilations available for each of these artists. Enjoy the musical exploration!

devildavid and panasoffkee like this.
  6. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

I found Donna Fargo's second album at a thrift store.

[​IMG]

7. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I have pretty much everything in the Merle Haggard discography, but my trauma over his passing led me to try to scoop up every last album I didn't have. To wit, I went on an Amazon spree and grabbed up the following CDs:

Merle Haggard/Chester SmithCalifornia Blend, one of the boutique releases Merle put out about ten years ago where he partnered with one of the musical heroes of his youth
    Merle Haggard20 Hits: I don't know precisely when this was recorded (late '80s?) but it's one of those "greatest hits...rerecorded!" records that just about every country musician of a certain antiquity and money troubles has in their catalogue. I'm a completist, what can I say?
    Merle Haggard/Bonnie OwensJust Between the Two of Us: Used to have this classic, but somewhere along the way lost it. Finally getting it back.
    • Three BGO 2-fers by Merle: It's Not Love (But It's Not Bad)/If We Make It Through December, My Love Affair With Trains/The Roots of My Raising, Hag/Let Me Tell You About a Song.

I also stumbled upon a used copy of Willie's Electric Horseman soundtrack on CD for $30. Last time I saw it priced that low was about 10 years ago and I've regretted ever since not jumping on it. Needless to say, the CD better be legit!

jonathan and baptistbusman like this.
  8. devildavid

devildavid Forum Resident

I do have one Johnny Cash CD, but it is from his early Sun Records rockabilly days. Same with Jerry Lee Lewis, but I have 3 CD's from that time. I never ventured to get either one of their recordings from the more country part of their careers. But I love when Jerry Lee covers Hank Williams.

9. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

You can't go wrong with The Killer, it's all good.

RSteven, dalem5467, Marzz and 3 others like this.
  10. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

New artist Margo Price - Midwest Farmer's Daughter

[​IMG]

tgdinamo, Hutch and Nice Marmot like this.
  11. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

The SUN material for Cash and Lewis is excellent. However, for Lewis, I was thinking of his late 60's Mercury/Smash country material. There are a few single disc collections of this material available, one is called "Killer Country", which I can strongly recommend.

melstapler and devildavid like this.
  12. baptistbusman

[​IMG]

This arrived today. His son sells these on ebay for cheap, includes original recordings.

melstapler likes this.
  13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

These are excellent compilations. At one point, Ernie's son had some autographed copies left as well. Ernie had the artwork creatively designed with an area so he could autograph those limited edition versions after concerts. Since his passing in 2009, it's very surprising that Bear Family Records or another comparable label have not released a comprehensive box set focusing on Ernie's recorded output. The material Ernie recorded for Decca and Hickory is of a very high quality, in terms of song selection, production and of course performance by Ernie and the excellent players on those sessions.

McLover and Mr. H like this.
  14. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

These are my most recent country music purchases (disregard the bottom row :D)
    [​IMG]

dalem5467, McLover, Hutch and 5 others like this.
  15. The Killer

Conway's superb, and that Moe Bandy cover is a favourite of mine - mmmm beer.

melstapler and xdawg like this.
  16. baptistbusman

[​IMG]

For years, I have considered myself burned out on Willie Nelson. I don't care for his new recordings where he constantly revives his older songs. I have been watching the complete first season of "Lost" for the first time lately, and I heard Willie singing "Are You Sure" in one of the episodes. This is the only set that contains that song, so I paid $15 on amazon for a nice copy. Wow, I totally love it and recommend it to anyone. Good luck finding it though.

[​IMG]

So now, I also got this one. Totally amazed it took me 25 years of collecting to really get into Willie's early years. I definitely am thinking about picking up the Bear set "Nashville Was the Roughest."

17. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Marzz, asavage and Mr. H like this.
  18. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I've got that Hayes Carll in hand, you won't be disappointed.

19. The Killer

Patsy Cline 12 Greatest Hits and Live at The Opry arrived yesterday, 24p each, pretty reasonable prices although I haven't listened to them yet!

I notice the Live cd is a Country Music Foundation one, the others I have in that series, Louvin and Paycheck, are excellent.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Marzz and melstapler like this.
  20. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

You might enjoy this thread;

Amazing 1,000+ LP score last weekend »

21. PopMusik

PopMusik Well-Known Member

My last substantial purchase was the Porter & Dolly Bear Family set.

I have recently rediscovered Jessi Colter, so I having been buying some of her albums.

I was also just in the Johnny Cash Museum in Nashville this past weekend. Picked up a few things there as well.

RSteven and Mr. H like this.
  22. PopMusik

I was just in PhonoLuxe Records in Nashville. I spent a few coins on some sweet items. Didn't find much country though.

I was really bummed to discover that Lawrence Records on Music Row is no longer there.

melstapler likes this.
  23. The Killer

I went last year when the exhibition was on with Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and Elvis stuff.

Did you go to the George Jones museum, they had some great displays?

Back on topic, the Patsy Cline CD's are excellent, brief but all first rate. The live is more 'country' with some nice steel and fiddle whereas the 12 Greatest is Nashville Sound, nicely done though.

melstapler likes this.
  24. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Just bought a copy of "And Stood There Amazed" as a birthday gift for a friend of mine who is a fan of folk and classic country. This will be his first Ian Tyson album (excluding the albums with Ian and Sylvia he owns) and hopefully not his last.

thematinggame and The Killer like this.
  25. PopMusik

I didn't make it to the George Jones one. Ran out of time for everything. Maybe next time.

I plan to go back when the Nudie Suits museum and bar opens up. They are supposed to have a lot of memorabilia and some of the classic suits on display.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.