For Steve: Mel Torme

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RDK, Aug 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDK

RDK Active Member Thread Starter

Hey Steve, I was recently listening to a live Mel Torme disc that you mastered and had a couple of questions about it.

Listening through phones, it sure sounds like this was mastered from an LP. A few pops and crackles here and there. Was this indeed the case? Still sounds pretty darn good though.

Also, any idea as to when this was recorded? I couldn't find any date on the CD, though since Mel covers "New York State of Mind" it can't be that old (which is why it seems so improbable that tapes don't exist).

Some great music here and a very "live, you were there" sound to it.

Ray

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Something about "Marty's"?

It probably is from a disc. No, I didn't do it. My name shouldn't be on there. The only Mel Torme disc I did is "The London Sessions" with Phil Woods.

3. RDK

RDK Active Member Thread Starter

Here's a link Steve...

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=A59r9kebt0q7n

Yeah, your name was on it, but there was no indication as to when the music was recorded or when it was mastered. I thought it was weird since your DCC discs usually have decent notes and often dates/technical info. And needless to say you don't usually master from an LP source. ;)

Ray

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, I remember the album, but I didn't do it. I think Hank Waring did it.

No, if Hank did it the thing would have been declicked.

Hmmmmm. Don't remember....

Great music though..

5. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Speaking of which, that arrangement of Send in the Clows has to be heard to be believed. I love Mel, but this one was a little over the top for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.