For you Leica Lovers...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

A beautiful well-worn 1960 Black Paint M3. Must be owned by a real live photographer! :) (It is, Elliott Erwitt.)

Attached Files:

2. Steve Hoffman

I'd like to wear my Hammertone MP down like that someday.

Attached Files:

3. MJM

MJM Forum Resident

Quite beautiful cameras. I love photography, but haven't exactly stepped up my game as of yet. I have a Canon film camera that I bought about 6/7 years ago. I bought a book on Leica Photography, but I haven't read it yet. I look forward to exploring that world in the not too distant future.

MJM

4. Steve Hoffman

It's fun, old school style. Trying getting some slide film and squeezing off a few.

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I saw a Leica convention in Lexington one year, and they had some gold plated models, as well Leicas with swastikas on them from the war years. Beautiful and strange.

6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Wow you got the MP. That is on "things to get" list. I must say that my Leica has, in no uncertain terms, allowed me to get profoundly better pictures of my work.

7. Steve Hoffman

Scott,

That HAMMERTONE LHSA MP was only a few hundred bucks more than the standard issue MP. It's a great camera.

8. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

The MP looks great in that finish; like it's indestructible. That M3 has definitely seen some service!

9. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

That looks a bit like the M4 that was stolen from me. :cry:
    Man, I miss that camera. I don't know if it was so much the camera as the Leitz lense, but it took the sharpest, most well-define pics I'd ever seen. Whoever gets the camera, forget the outside looks. Outside of a large format Hasslebladd, it'll be the best camera you've ever owned!

10. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I've been a Leica user for 25 years. First an M3, then M-4 (a couple), M-2, M4-P, M-6 (a few), then SL, SL2, SL2 MOT (had 4 at one time), R4, R6, and R7. The best part of owning Leica for me has always been the lenses - they are actually designed more for contrast than sharpness. Much like analog as compared to digital, the Leica optical formula of glass and design produces a more gradual differentiation in the various layers of shading in a Leica photograph which gives it a more 3 dimensional quality. The cameras are certainly special - the M-3 I still own has the smoothest shutter advance of any camera I've experienced - but it's the optics that are what do it for me. I also own an original black enamel M3 and M2, and that laquer is very fragile and easy to wear through to the brass - much harder to do that with the current cameras. Great cameras, the best optics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.