Forgotten Classic Country Songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve McGarrett, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Active Member Thread Starter

Unless you have a really cool country radio station in your area or you're at a Legion hall, you're not likely to hear some of the greatest country songs ever. Seems most country radio avoids anything before the late 80s, which is a crime. Country records in the 70s are some of the better sounding albums I've heard.

Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Buck Owens, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Paycheck, Conway Twitty, Tammy Wynette, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton...the whole gang. Have any in mind?

My Top 5 Forgotten Country Classics:

The Cave - Johnny Paycheck (one of the creepiest Cold War era songs)
    Sweet Dream Woman - Waylon Jennings
    Branded Man - Merle Haggard
    Streets of Baltimore - Bobby Bare
    Made in Japan - Buck Owens

2. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

There are dozens of all-but-forgotten classics by Waylon, Merle and Buck. Three that come quickly to mind: Rainy Day Woman, Big City and Think Of Me, respectively

Bobby Bare is one of the best. Streets of Baltimore -- classic. I believe Gram Parsons covered that one, and Bobby's other '60s "hits," 500 Miles, Four Strong Winds, and Detroit City are fantastic.

Charley Pride had two singles that I really liked: Is Anybody Going to San Antone, and Kiss An Angel Good Morning.

I may have to work on a longer list. Cool thread!

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Depends on what fan you ask. Most of classic country is probably ignored or forgotten by many of todays "country" fans. Hell, most of them probably dont even know who Marty Robbins is.

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Paycheck "Wherever you are" "Touch my heart," which there are several good versions of, but I like his best.

McLover, DoF and MYQ1 like this.
  5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

As I work for a country station that dedicates an hour every morning to the country classics, and intersperses some of them during the day, there are times that whenever I start playing a song a listener hadn't heard for a long time, we end up getting tons of requests for that particular song.

Folknik, lazydawg58, Dave112 and 22 others like this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Radney Foster, one I never hear anymore, one of my favorites :cheers:

adad, DoF, Golden Richards and 4 others like this.
  7. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  8. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

All very late 70's songs

Love or Something Like It - Kenny Rogers
    Don't It Make Your Brown Eyes Blue - Crystal Gayle
    Suspicious - Eddy Rabbit
    Coat Of Many List - Dolly Parton

DoF likes this.
  9. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

DoF likes this.
  10. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

''What Is Truth'' Johnny Cash

11. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Great song! But I remember when this was part of the early 90s "Hot New Country" wave of music that arrived with Garth, and traditionalists were moaning even then about the lack of airplay for a lot of the songs noted in this thread.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...

DoF and c-eling like this.
  12. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

The Teddy Bear Song - Barbara Fairchild

13. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

"Don't Touch Me" - Jeannie Seely
    "Party Time" - T.G. Sheppard

DoF and McLover like this.
  14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I love this song, one of the few that takes me back to a particular moment in time. I can close my eyes and be back in 1981 with this one.

15. Steve McGarrett

It's funny because to me, those songs you mentioned are staples of the genre but so many modern country fans wouldn't even know who they are. I used to get drunk after work to the whole Big City album by Haggard. Recently discovered that Bobby Bare was responsible for Waylon getting signed at RCA. Good call on that one, Bare. I imagine those Baltimore streets aren't too friendly these days.

Here's one of the most obscure masterpiece's about being locked in an asylum. Eerie. From the "Butcher of West Plains", Porter Wagoner: The Rubber Room. Apparently old Porter was no stranger to the looney-bin. He had himself committed to Parkview for a "nervous breakdown". Interesting character.

DoF, markaberrant, RMB77 and 4 others like this.
  16. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Outside of movies and TV, I don't remember the last time I heard Johnny Paycheck's "Take This Job and Shove It". It may not be forgotten but it seems to be forgotten by radio.

I do hear 80s material from Alabama, Reba McIntyre and The Judds occasionally on the radio.

DoF and driverdrummer like this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

That is the tricky thing about this thread. Big fans of classic country music will not find most of these songs obscure. Someone who lists modern country as their preferred genre would, but I doubt they are on this board.

18. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

There is a Cumulus radio station available nationwide, Nash Icon, which mixes classic country songs in all day long with the current country hits. I have often heard Merle Haggard's "Big City," the Willie Nelson/Merle Haggard duet on "Pancho and Lefty," and Dwight Yoakum's "Honky Tonk Man" on it, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_FM

DoF and MYQ1 like this.
  19. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

"The Last Game of the Season (A Blind Man in the Bleachers)"

DoF and clhboa like this.
  20. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

My Dad really dug that song!

impalaboy likes this.
  21. Steve McGarrett

Hey, cut me some slack guy. I threw some uncommon choices in the pot! Haha. Just kidding, but I see your point. I guess I mean it more for those who are familiar to point out songs that we may know but seem to never get plays anymore. I might live in an echo-chamber in this part of the country because there's absolutely no radio channel that will play most of these songs aside from a SiriusXM station or the local college radio that might throw something like this in on occasion.

Just listened to your boy on vinyl last night. Have a NM copy of this record. The Spirit of Hank Williams. One of the million MGM compilation albums they put out. I never realized he had so many gospel-themed songs. I love it.
    [​IMG]

DoF, Campbell Saddler, Kkfan and 2 others like this.
  22. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

No doubt you're right. I assume most people checking on this thread are like me and dabble in classic country music though.

DoF likes this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I feel like Tom T. Hall is all but forgotten by the industry and most fans. Its a damn shame, he was a great story telling song writer.

24. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Pop A Top by Jim Ed Brown

25. sgb

sgb Senior Member

And the SQ is very interesting, too.

sunrayjack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.