Forgotten TV reboots

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jupiter8, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've never heard of the Fantasy Island reboot, but if Madchen Amick was in it I would have watched it, she was the highlight of Twin Peaks.

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

3. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Some I remember:

Around 1971, there was a revival of the kids' show from the 1950s called Juvenile Jury with Jack Barry as the host, just as he had been in the 1950s.
    Also, there was a return of Howdy Doody around 1974, during the height of 1950s nostalgia, complete with Buffalo Bob and Howdy.
    The same year, Your Hit Parade returned to television, but rather than count down the current year's hits, it counted down the top hits from that week in the 1940s or 1950s. Chuck Woolery, after his years with the rock band The Avant-Garde and before becoming the original host of Wheel of Fortune, was one of the regular singers.
    I remember several revivals of The Mickey Mouse Club
    Then there was Bill Cosby in the Groucho Marx role in a new version of You Bet Your Life
    Finally, House Party, Art Linkletter's show, had a short-lived revival in 1990 with Steve Doocy as the host.

woody likes this.
  4. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Does "Muppets Tonight" count as a bit of a reboot/re-styling of the good old Muppet Show? I liked it very much; it seemed aimed at a bit of an older audience. Disappeared after two seasons.

5. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

I liked the Dark Shadows from the '90's, didn't know about the other one.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

[​IMG]

Dubmart likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, I have the first season box...also a second box with seasons 2 & 3...the price never seems to drop on them...

8. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

The 2002-2003 re-reboot of "The Twilight Zone" was courtesy of UPN, who also gave us:

[​IMG]

...as well as the previously mentioned "Love Boat: The Next Wave".

Here's another re-boot, the earlier mentioned "What's Happening Now":

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  9. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

If we can include a quiz show (and it was designed to show Groucho Marx's banter with people), "You Bet Your Life" was revived in 1980 with Buddy Hackett and 1992 with Bill Cosby.

10. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

How about "The Golden Palace" (Golden Girls re-boot)?

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

UK Original: The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin (1970s) - I liked this
    US Remake: Reggie (1983) - I never saw this
    UK Remake: Reggie Perrin (2009-2010) - I really liked this. Starred Martin Clunes of Doc Martin fame.

12. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Now THOSE are truly forgotten!
    I DO remember the "Juvenile Jury" reboot. I was 7 at the time so it appealed to me. Forgot all about that one!

The "Hit Parade" show I remember as well! And I have the Avant Garde's 45 as well!

13. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

"Burkes Law" was brought back some years ago for a short run.
    "Dallas" is heading into its 3rd new season (and its pretty darn good)
    "Melrose Place" was brought back for a season (it was terrible)
    "The Gong Show" was recently tried again.
    "Archie Bunkers Place" was the continuation of "All in The Family".
    I'm pretty sure I remember Kathy Lee Crosby (before Regis)_ on the new "Your Hit Parade".

Oh...and a note about The New Leave It To Beaver......Ted Turner of TBS ordered FIVE years of episodes of the new show. Everyone connected with the show was stunned when that happened.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

There were misguided attempts to revive Sanford & Son without the son (Sanford) and without *either* of them (Sanford Arms). Both "enjoyed" mercifully brief runs.

16. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Well to be fair the WB version wasn't picked up or broadcast on the network. It has only been shown at Dark Shadows conventions.

17. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

There was a press your luck reboot with todd newton as host..wayne brady is hosting a new version of let's make a deal..

18. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I think she was on Name That Tune, wasn't she?

19. Speaking of Cathy Lee Crosby, there was a one-season reboot of early '80s reality show That's Incredible in 1988, co-hosted - as was the original - by Alan Thicke wannabe John Davidson.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hey, Davidson's career started before Thicke's, so that makes Thicke the wanna-be, thank you! Nothing original ever came out of Canada - in fact, you're nothing but Grant with a toque! :laugh:

21. So you went from being a John Davidson apologist to egregious character slander? Well now that is beyond the pale, boyo, and I demand satisfaction - you betta be watching out for my Nation of Iscicle hounds trackin' you down anytime now...

22. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I think the question really should be...were there any popular TV shows from the past where a reboot hasn't been attempted yet? :)

23. I thought that this was a pretty decent reboot that had potential. It took a while for the show to find it's footing.

Watched the pilot for the unproduced Time Tunnel reboot--it had some potential.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Oh, I have nothing to fear - it's much too warm for you down here. Where would you build your igloo?

25. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

If you want to include foreign reboots, there was The Adventures of Skippy, a 1992 reboot of the 1960's kid's classic Skippy The Bush Kangaroo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.