Forgotten TV reboots

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jupiter8, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

This was just on this morning on Hallmark Channel. Absolutely horrible and painful. Amazing how such a show can miss so many marks on so many levels all at once.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It certainly couldn't have been worse than the 199x movie.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Yep. That one truly raised (or lowered) the bar for cinematic awfullness...

4. Wmacky

Wmacky Forum Resident

Mayberry RFD

5. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

How about "The Munsters Today":

..of course later we also got NBC's short-lived "1313 Mockingbird Lane".

6. Was there ever a Manimal with George Clooney. ?

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Great theme song, though. I think so, anyway.

8. I'm surprised the Dr. smith character wasn't in the pilot but maybe they were going t introduce the character later.

9. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

No, I think you'll find quite a few people (especially those who grew up with the Family Channel) definitely remember "The New Addams Family."

10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It actually doesn't look too bad, except for Fester, who looks like he stepped out of the freezer. I remember Jackie Coogan as being pale, not blue.

11. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I actually think the movie "Addams Family Reunion" was meant as a sort of 'pilot' for that series... which is a bit odd, because as far as I'm aware none of the actors (save the girl who played Wednesday) came back for the TV show.

12. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I remember watching a few of those. As a kid who was a little too young to have seen the original show, but read about it, I was curious.

I recall it being shot on videotape and feeling kind of like a soap opera, in that it had the same look and romantic theme, and was on right before
    (and advertised during) ABC's block of daily soaps. I don't recall finding it funny at the time, though.

13. Mark Nelson

I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed this. Great visual style and sense of humor, and different
    enough from the original show to not feel like a weak copy, like THE MUNSTERS TODAY seemed to me at the time. Really wish NBC had picked this up as a series.

14. Mark Nelson

I recall BONANZA: THE NEXT GENERATION being on in syndication for a season or three.

I seem to recall a writers' strike in the late 80s/early 90s, which caused some networks to launch
    re-make shows utilizing scripts from the original series they were based on. Either that, or remake
    shows that were already in production used this method to work through the strike. My memory
    is that the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE remake show, and maybe the new ALFRED HITCHCOCK
    PRESENTS were part of this.

I thought some segments in the 80s CBS TWILIGHT ZONE revival were really good, almost worthy
    of going toe-to-toe with the original series. Once it moved to syndication I thought the shows were
    pretty uniformly not good.

15. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

Always thought it would b cool to have a channel dedicated to these horrible shows

Not just reboots but all of the bad shows

Kick it off w Cop Rock

I'd watch

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That song is embedded in my brain. Very hard to get rid of it once you start hearing Eydie Gorme's voice.

Hey, how about a cable channel devoted to series that had bad finale episodes? :sigh:

OldSoul likes this.
  17. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

The former cable network "Trio" would occasionally air "Cop Rock" as part of it's "Flops" series. (Trio was replaced by "Sleuth" in 2006).

18. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member Thread Starter

Trio was one of the best cable channels ever. Still have stuff I taped off it (Like Neil Young's solo BBC set from the early 70s). Bravo still rips off its promo style.

19. Mark Nelson

Wasn't Trio's programming theme called "Brilliant But Cancelled", or am I thinking of something else?

sparkydog likes this.
  20. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

You are thinking of a special promotion that Trio did occasionally. They would show the entire run of a great show that only was on TV for one season. I remember watching the TV series "The Gun" on Trio as part of this promotion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_(TV_series)

21. Kuzronk

Kuzronk Well-Known Member

22. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

It was, I was disappointed that it didn't make it. I preferred the first season with Ethan Embry. They screwed it up for the second season when they added Eva Longoria, et al.

23. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

The 1977 revival of "Laugh-In". It was pretty good. At least I thought so when I was 14!

Mark Nelson likes this.
  24. Mark Nelson

I've seen some of those shows more recently, and it holds up pretty well against the original series, albeit with a slightly
    weaker cast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.