Found A Free Pair Of ADS L570/2 Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by antiqueguy19001, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antiqueguy19001

antiqueguy19001 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My town has this shed at the dump where you can put stuff that is still good for other people to grab. While dropping off some curtains there, I noticed a pair of speakers. They looked pretty nice, so I decided to grab them. They look to be in pretty good condition, a little dusty, but that is easily fixable. They sound great too, with much less distortion than any of my other speakers. I'm not sure how old these are, I thought they were 1990's at first, but I read elsewhere that they are older, do any of you have an idea when these were sold and for how much originally? In general, how do people with experience with this brand and/or model think they preform?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

33na3rd, LitHum05 and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

antiqueguy19001 likes this.
  3. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

Mid 80's and around $450 a pair, great spkers and lucky find.

4. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Early to mid 80's. They were great.

My first 'real' speakers were ADS 500's. They were great.

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

:righton:

Score!

6. antiqueguy19001

Thanks everyone! $450 seems like a good amount of money for speakers in the 80's, so they must be pretty good! One thing I notice about them is much more depth in sound, clarity in the midrange, and less distortion. I have only played classical music on them so far, playing a Beethoven album on them. Tomorrow I will play some rock on them and see how they sound for that. Definitely the the best built pair of speakers I own too, it looks like ADS cut no corners building them.

7. antiqueguy19001

I listened to some rock 'n' roll on them today, and I have to say, these speakers produce some of the most powerful sound I have heard a speaker this size produce. The sound is very well balanced too, and doesn't focus on any specific frequency range over the others, like some speakers I have heard. The bass is amazing, and the treble and mid range too. Very happy that they don't have foam rot either, unlike my last speaker pickup. With the last pair of speakers I got, a pair of Baby Advent II's that looked fine when I got them, I played a song with a lot of base with high volume, and the foam actually broke into pieces and flew out. Luckily the surround on these ADS speakers seems very sturdy.

8. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Nice Score!! Enjoy the music.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Nice looking tw0-way! Cool grills and enclosure. Beautiful. That tweeter looks quite juicy!!!

10. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Nice score indeed. ADS speakers are an interesting animal, and quite desirable to collectors. They have a long and winding corporate history with connection to Braun. Those ones you've got there are the later nicer models with the metal grills, and share a visual resemblance to the industrial design of the Braun speakers, which if you're not design geek was comprised of some of the most famous industrial designers ever. The grills here are not flat, but most of the signature elements of the German design remain, and look quite nice IMO.

Obviously sound is king, and the ADS speakers deliver there. The tweeters are very nice, open and airy without any sense of harshness, or artificial hype to the highs. The woofers are thankfully rubber on most models, meaning you can avoid a refoam. The bass is typical east coast tight sound. I'm running an early grandfather to these two-ways, a pair of 500s currently, which are quite a bit older and 4 ohms instead of 8. I would love to swap them out for a set like yours, or the bigger 700 and 800 lines which sound even more balanced.

11. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Great company that made great speakers. No need to worry about foam surrounds ADS used butyl rubber surrounds and they age well. Enjoy them!

12. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

Years ago I had a pair of ADS speakers acquired at a thrift store for almost nothing. I sold them at a great profit. I still regret it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.