Found Loggins and Messina-Sittin In MFSL cd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by driverdrummer, Jul 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is a really enjoyable cd. First time I've heard their music. Any fans of this cd?

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Big fan here. Since FM radio in Chicago, when Vahevala was new ( 1971 ). My copy of the MFSL from our very own classifieds here.

3. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Always been a fan of this album. I found a used copy of the MFSL CD about 3 weeks ago at a tolerable price.

Very happy to have it.

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If there is a bad sounding Mofi aluminum CD I have yet to purchase it, every one I own is a winner.

Simon A, stackswim and Myke like this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Full Sail and Motherlode are two of the finer albums.

Myke and Eric B. like this.
  6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Great CD!

7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Sittin In is one of my all time favorite albums. Saw L&M right when this record came out. My favorite period of theirs.

8. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Sittin' in and the second s/t album are my favorites, and SACD's would be welcomed. The live On Stage album is pretty good too, with a 10 minute Angry Eyes.

While we are at it, an SH mastered Cd of Loggins first solo album would be might terrific...hint.:edthumbs:

in-the-groove, fredblue and Jarleboy like this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

loggins & messina only have 6 studio albums and one of those ("so fine") is a covers album. of the other 5 i highly recommend all of them. a very very underated band, their back-up musicians were all top notch, and very underrated albums. you can probably get all 5 of the studio albums quite cheaply ('so fine" was a wounded bird reissue, don't know if its still in print).

they also have 3 live albums that are also very well done, and one of those "finale" is also a wounded bird title, 'on stage': has a tune not on their albums (another road). as does 'finale' (oklahoma, home of mine and motel cowboy). the last live album "santa barbara" is from their reunion tour of a few years ago and is very good.

one of the few bands that i am aware of that had, oddly, no one-offs, although the first 'best of' has the single version of 'angry eyes".

"motherlode" is darn a perfect album.

Mooserfan likes this.
  10. Myke

Also, don't let this superior DVD get away from you. Audio quality is breathtaking for only lossy DTS !

[​IMG]

SteelyNJ and fredblue like this.
  11. Myke

[​IMG]

SteelyNJ and fredblue like this.
  12. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

I wore the 8 track tape of this out back in the day. They were a powerful live show back then too. Still enjoy the CD.

Simon A likes this.
  13. Myke

Jim Messina just spoke to me on Facebook ! :eek:

Simon A, SteelyNJ, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You don't say!

(What he said)

15. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Great record, and as other folks with brilliant taste have mentioned above, go buy Motherlode. One of those great lost records that never achieved the acclaim it deserved.

Big Train, abescan and Sneaky Pete like this.
  16. Myke

Not being a big-time photographer in the City of Angels, this was quite a thrill for a fan since 1968.

quicksrt likes this.
  17. Myke

It's funny, even though I know what you mean, I have to think how I've never cared about that aspect.
    Mother Lode was bought by a buddy in 1974, upon it's release, and I was hooked with the first listen. I taped it onto my old Wollensak 3M reel to reel, then bought the 8 track for the car a few years later.
    When I found a spotless ( no exaggeration ) vinyl copy for $.50 ?!?!? a few years back I was shocked.
    To me, how could anyone not love this album ?
    Writing, playing, recording, sequencing...

18. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

Have and love the album, I'm sure the MoFi CD sounds great.

19. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I love this album but the MFSL version has evaded me.

Sittin' In was a real surprise to me when it was released. I saw them live and it was a great show. I'm a fan of Motherlode too.

Unfortunately, Kenny Loggins solo wasn't my cup of tea.

JohnT likes this.
  20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Be patient, it will be worth the wait when you find one for a decent price.

21. Myke

Simon A and Sneaky Pete like this.
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I do think it is cool!

Myke likes this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

opinions:

is it even possible that L&M could someday get into the rock hall?

24. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I did order it and it arrived a couple of days ago. I just played my MFSL Sittin' In and it was a treat. I'm glad I took the plunge it delivers a sweet analog like sound, with excellent dynamics and deep bass.

I forgot how gorgeous this recording was. I thought I would just sample it but I ended up listening to the entire album, then going back and replaying my favorites. That's always a good sign.

I must admit I'm more cynical now than I was when this album first came out. Some of the really sentimental tunes like Danny's Song and House at Pooh Corner are a little saccharin, but the sweetness and sentiment is delivered with a sincerity and musicality that still wins me over. There is an innocence to those tunes that is somewhat quaint but at the same time refreshing given the mean-spirited World we now live in.

It is still a great listen with seductive harmonies, flawless musicianship and some great songs. The MFSL is definitely the way to go if you want the CD. This may send me on a Loggins and Messina kick.

Simon A and Myke like this.
  25. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

.....then you are going to like the new Audio Fidelity releases.

Simon A, Sneaky Pete and Myke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.