Found some vintage AR-3 speakers in my neighbor's garage (early 1960s)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gilliam, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Close ups

Attached Files:

2. Gilliam

I cannot say for sure if he would take $150. I 'd have to ask.

3. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Back in the 60s and 70s, there was a very distinct regional difference in preferences of speakers among the "hi-fi nuts". On the West Coast, JBL and Altec based horn systems were more popular where as in New England and in the Southeast and most points between besides NYC, New Jersey and Philadelphia, acoustic suspension systems and to a limited extent dipoles were more popular.

The chowder crowd dismissed horns as "Just Big and Loud" and in California they called the AR/Villchur/Allison school "Boston Bland" and "monkey coffins".

Areas in between either allied with one or the other school or ignored the whole business.

4. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Put 'em on ebay and you'll get $500+ for them.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  5. Gilliam

Wow you really think so? Limited exposure with local pick up though. Seems high for the original time worn cosmetic condition. But they do sound great and they are original. To a collector I suppose they would have value. It's my understanding that they changed phasing between the mid and woofer between 1960-1965. I found an old schematic and history when searching the serial number. Ver informative. You can't just go replacing drivers on these speakers without knowing about them first.

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

I like the speaker stand for the right speaker in your video.
    And just where ids this local pickup?

7. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I posted in the When Did You Know You Were an Audiophile Thread that the AR-3a a friend of mine had with a Daynaco PAT-4 and Stereo 120 and AR Turntable were what got me hooked. First good speakers I bought were AR-4ax.

8. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

So many times I have read comments from people whose opinions I respect about how these speakers require powerful amps. Not meaning to cast aspersions, but out of sheer curiosity I wonder how it is that these speakers were sold/used to such positive effect in the 1960s when amps were not nearly as powerful as they would be by the mid 70s and beyond.

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The foam-rot issues doesn't apply to AR-3's they have cloth surrounds.

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That's what I was thinking, although I am not personally familiar with this specific model AR. Cloth surrounds just need some redoping to bring them back to life - an EASY fix.

I've seen AR-3's sell for $600+ on AudioKarma's (subscriber-only) Barter Town, but I'm not sure what they'd fetch in unrestored condition. There is considerable demand for these speakers.

11. Gilliam

Speakers are in Silicon Valley so however far anyone is willing to drive to get.

12. Gilliam

Thanks for that info. Yes I myself was surprised they sounded so great and lasted so long. That explains it. I have had other speakers fail with foam rot and I'm sure if these were foam they would have been rotted long ago.

13. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Expectations were less. Volumes were lower too.

People today and since the arena rock era have volume expectations that were completely unknown before about 1968. Classical, jazz, and folk music was what most of the people who bought serious hi-fi equipment listened to. Only teens and greasers listened to rock before about '67 or '68. They, and their parents who liked Lawrence Welk all had consumer mass market stuff, portable record players and consoles.

Reading the old hi-fi books (and you should) all of them before the early seventies said that a power output of ten to twenty watts was what most people needed. In the solid state era that multiplied because the sonic consequence of overloading was so much worse, people needed more headroom, plus speakers were less sensitive and they wanted better bass extension and LF volume.

14. Gilliam

I did notice I has to crank the volume up more than normal. Could it be because they are. 4 ohm?

15. Gilliam

One thing I noticed with these speakers is the depth to the music and the vocals really sounded good through these. Kind of wish I could keep them but no room anywhere.

16. Gilliam

Interesting. I just saw item # 221402858974 on eBay which are AR3 pair in worse cosmetic condition and the seller wants a lot of money but what surprised me is shipping from east to west coast was $133.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  17. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Why prefer late 50s and early 60s equipment to anything else.

action pact likes this.
  18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

No, it's because the AR-3 is super-inefficient. AR-3's were my first 'real' speakers. The good—real deep bass, good "voicing." The bad, major power suck, potential placement problems [thanks to all that bass], tweeters and midrange units hard to replace/repair. And the adjustment controls were a pain as I recall.

19. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

those speakers sound great, in the youtube link!!

20. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

21. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I wish I lived closer those speakers would be in my car right now.

I did not know the older AR3's surrounds were so rugged they could last this long. I do think I would have them done anyway.

22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Why do people keep telling him to refoam the surrounds? These are not Advents. The surrounds should be fine.

By the way, I bought mine from a seller who shipped them from Florida to Ohio for about $100. He packed them great and they arrived no problem.
    I would say yours will easily sell for $500+

Daily Nightly likes this.
  23. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Screw the speakers, what's he doing with the amps? :D

24. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-------
    They may or may not be fine, neither you nor I would know. My surrounds rotted/dried out at the 20 year mark. They were easily repaired with the new foam surrounds.

25. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Dynaco made the 60 watt MK III amp available with the AR-3 speaker in mind. I believe that AR's demo booth in Grand Central Station used the MK IIIs to drive the AR-3s. Most tube amps were well below 60 watts when the AR-3 was released - it's been said that AR was the cause of the amplifier horsepower wars. Acoustic suspension speakers are relative power hogs when compared to ported/vented or horn loaded speakers.

Daily Nightly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.