Found some vintage AR-3 speakers in my neighbor's garage (early 1960s)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gilliam, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Early AR-3 woofers used Alnico magnets (Alnico magnet material is extremely expensive) and had cloth surrounds. Later, AR switched to ferrite magnets (a far less costly material for magnets) and used foam for the surrounds. I'd guess there are more of the foam surround version surviving because they came along later in production. AR most likely standardized the surrounds so they could squeeze production costs down and buy material from a single supplier.

Over at Classic Speaker Pages you can see the differences between the woofers: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/...ar-3a_woofer_pictures/ar-3_ar-3a_woofers.html

[​IMG]

That's one huge slug of Alnico on the left - it must have cost a small fortune in comparison to the ferrite ring on the later woofers.

If you want to restore an AR-3, this is the place to start: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/...ing_the_ar-3a/restoring_the_ar-3a_full_pd.pdf

Pages 23-24 and 27-28 explain the different types of woofers used, and have pictures of each type.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Gotcha. I had no idea. Mine have the cloth surrounds.

3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

On page 22 at the link, there's a quote from David Hafler discussing the MK III and AR speakers: https://web.archive.org/web/2013112.../Pioneering-Wireless/eMagazines/VTV/VTV15.pdf

The Dynaco MK II didn't have a 4 ohm tap to mate up with the AR-3, so some redesign work including a different power transformer and a choke brought about the MK III. The update coincided with the introduction of the KT-88 tube - the MK III.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I enjoy learning about the history of old gear - I've wondered if AR got the idea for the dome tweeter by removing a tweeter horn from its driver and exposing the phenolic dome/voice coil assembly. Removing the horn would drop the sensitivity down quite a bit... :whistle:

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  5. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Acoustic suspension speakers in general, yes, plus when solid state came in amounts of clipping that were not noticed with tubes became both ear-grating and damaging to tweeters.

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Early transistor amps don't seem to be looked upon fondly with good reason.

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I got my AR-3's used but a new AR integrated amp. It was a good match and there were no issues cranking the systems to party levels. The AR amp was rated at 60 watts into 4 ohms but measured closer to 90 watts for 4 ohms.

8. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Found out that he inherited all his stereo equipment including these AR-3 speakers from his grandfather. They are in all original condition.
    Fixing to list on EBay soon..... found out shipping cost is not too bad.

9. aoxomoxoa

Keep us posted. Maybe I could use another pair!

10. Gilliam

Just loaded the pair in the back of my Jeep.
    Going to my office for the time being.
    Will be easier to package there.

11. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Current value in "AS-IS" condition is $500+. Given a location of Silicon Valley, I would opt for pick up only. I would also list on Craigslist for a week before listing on Ebay. I am willing to bet that if you list on CL at $500 you will have more than 1 response and possibly people bidding over $500 just to secure them. CL will save you $50 in fees plus the anxiety of shipping.

These are AR-3 speakers and they DO NOT have foam woofer surrounds. The woofer surrounds are dope impregnated cloth. There is a product (the name of which escapes me at this time) that can be applied with a brush to bring back the compliance of the surround.

The level pots are notoriously bad. They corrode horribly with the result that they become non conductive over time. The fact that this pair works now is good, but the pots will eventually have to cleaned, replaced or bypassed.

The AR-3 was designed for the "super amps" of the day....Mac MC50 and MC60, Marantz 9, Fisher 50A, Dyna MKIII. In fact AR used the Dyna MKIII when demonstrating the AR3 and when playing this speaker in their listening room at Grand Central Station.

If you some time, investigate http://www.classicspeakers.net This is a website devoted to New England style speakers (as opposed to West Coast style speakers). About 90% of the content is AR specific and includes a complete restoration guide for AR speakers.

Good Luck.

jfeldt likes this.
  12. Gilliam

Thanks, haven't listed them anywhere for sale yet but did have some interest from Neil Young's Archives Guy..... he hasn't responded back... He's local of course and that would be a great home for them if Neil wants them.

Cassius likes this.
  13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I still have an AR integrated amp. It hasn't been used in years but I could never part with. It's simplicity is beautiful to me.

14. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

That would be cool as ****!

Please keep us posted on that angle!

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I suggest you ramp the little beastie up and take her for a spin. Unless my memory fails me, it had plenty of current—had too to drive AR-3s—and imaged well. A trifle noisy too, as I recall.

16. Gilliam

No response yet... I put it out there since he did ask.

17. Gilliam

Update on these all original AR3 speakers (circa 1963 w/ early Alnico Woofers and cloth surrounds).
    They have been meticulously refinished by my friend Peter Clarke (former Studio and house band drummer for The Beatles at Apple Records).
    After his rock drummer career Peter became a woodworker doing some fine millwork (which is how I met him).
    I told Peter about these all original AR3 sp4eakers and he said he could refinish the cabinets without disturbing the speakers.
    I think he did a superb job... I posted them on EBay:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ginal-alnico-woofers-w-cloth-surround.392688/

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  18. aoxomoxoa

Really nice looking speakers! Wish I could afford them!

PhilBiker likes this.
  19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I've been using a few different high power ss amps with my 3's, mostly a Crown XLS1000 pro amp. 350 watts @ 4ohms. Obviously drives them beautifully, not that I ever turn it up very much. But even at low volumes the dynamics are very much there.

But for ****s and giggles I like teaming up the 3's with one of my vintage tube amps now and then. Again, I don't listen very loudly, and I have a relatively small listening space. Tonight listening with the Fisher 400. Dynamically the presentation is lacking just a little, although volume wise it can get plenty loud. But there is something about having tubes playing through these speakers that ss amps just can't duplicate. With period correct jazz, or classical, they are just alive. They breathe. There is something so right about the presentation that I never want to listen to anything else ever again. Of course, that won't happen, because I will. But I'm so drawn into whatever is playing it's nutty. It's really a silly combination, but damn does it sound good.

20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Good to know, because the AR3 is on my list of speakers to try some day, and a Fisher 400 is my main amp.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

No getting around it they still do better with high power/high current. The 400 will for sure work, but I'd also consider spending a couple hundred or so on something like the Crown XLS1000 as back up. You know, for when the family isn't home:D

22. action pact

Gotcha..

23. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Just grabbed a pair for cheap off at 3 off a let go post. They are in pretty good shape...cabs are fine...oiled walnut. The covers got a little messed up while trying to remove them, but I should be a able to fix. One speaker has an issue with the woofer. Based on what I see and hear I think the woofer just needs to be resealed. Not refoamed as they are indeed cloth surrounds. The other speaker sounds real good so far. Gotta get to hardware to buy some sealant.

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

This is the only sealant you want to use:

ACOUSTIC RESEARCH CLOTH SURROUND WOOFERS LARGE SEALANT KIT, ALSO KLH | eBay

25. action pact

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.