Fox Video releasing the classic romantic comedy "Working GIrl"(1988) on blu-ray 1/6/15

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

Directed by Mike Nichols and starring Harrison Ford, Melanie Griffith, Sigourney Weaver, Joan Cusack & Alec Baldwin, this working-class romantic comedy was nominated for 6 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director(Nichols), Best Actress(Griffith), Best Supporting Actress(Weaver & Cusack)and won for Best Song("Let The River Run" by Carly Simon)...MSRP is $16.99 and Amazon is discounting 30% to $11.89...

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I love this movie! I haven't seen it in quite some time, probably since it was on VHS. Ford, not known for his comedic acting, does a wonderful job in this film as do the other actors.

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I love this movie. One of my favorite performances by Joan Cusack. "$6000! It's not even leather!"

...but that miserable song did NOT deserve to win. The best song nominated was Calling You, by Jevetta Steele from The Bagdad Cafe. And they knew the worse song was going to win, which is why, that year, unlike any other, did not feature performances of any of the songs.

Hey, I love Carly Simon, but that song was mediocre, while Calling You is timeless.

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

5. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

A wonderful film that I haven't seen in ages. One of the very best romantic comedies.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Someone just recommended I watch this film in reference to a writing project. I had to sit there and grit my teeth to get through it. First of all, the 80s "look" made some women look like the Bride of Frankenstein. What a shocker that was. As horrible as I remember. And then the film is such a phony, trumped up nod to the slobbish charms of the "working class" that I just rolled my eyes. It's like a voodoo doctor and not the fine director Mike Nichols wanted to bring Judy Holiday back from the dead in Melanie Griffith. Harrison Ford was fine (looking), but Joan Cusack was nominated for an oscar for her horrendous Halloween-costumed performance? God, the 80s really must have been the decade of excess because too much coke, synth-driven Flashdance soundtracks, and bad hair gave everyone, even Mike Nichols, clouded judgement. I was appalled this was a Mike Nichols film. It felt more like a high school production of Lil Abner. And the story itself was pure, not terribly original, hokem. My god, what a nightmare of a film. As subtle as a steamroller. The most interesting thing in it was seeing an embarrassingly bad performance from Kevin Spacey who apparently had a huge mole removed from his left cheek at some point.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    driverdrummer and royzak2000 like this.
  7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I also watched this movie again recently. It's weird to rewatch movies like this that you saw when they were new and find that they have turned into time capsules, even though you don't remember them being particularly susceptible to dating. "Midnight Run" is another movie from the same year that I just saw again and there were so many elements that would have seemed totally neutral at the time that now seemed completely dated, like the "Lethal Weapon" type bluesy electric guitar plus synthesizer score, and Robert De Niro smoking everywhere he went (for example, standing at the ticket counter in an airport).

That said, the secretaries' big hair in "Working Girl" was supposed to be over the top even in 1988.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    driverdrummer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.