Fozgometer Calibration

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seancito, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just splurged for the Fozgometer, and it arrived today. I haven't even looked at it yet, and I heard that it needs to be calibrated first. Is this still necessary before using the device? I would think that the manufacturer would have it calibrated beforehand, and I am not sure if this was a glitch that was maybe recently fixed.

Anyone have knowledge on this?

2. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

There's no way to know for sure if it needs calibration without doing it. It's easy, just download the files and burn them to a CD, then hook the foz to the record outs of your system or you could go straight out of the CD player.

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

4. Seancito

I have just calibrated and used my fozgometer, and I must say, I have excellent results and I am pleased with the product. Originally, I have my VPI Scout set for azimuth using the "mirror method" and the VPI rod that they supply with the table. Before using the Fozgometer, I tried to set azimuth with the cartridge completely parallel to the record surface. I noticed that when using my Fozgometer, my cartridge was slightly skewed to the left, but the readings were dead on. I have read that this is normal, but would others agree or have similar experiences with their Fozgometer use?

5. Seancito

Anyone?

6. missan

missan Forum Resident

What is interesting is if the azimuth now is correct?

7. Seancito

I am referring if anyone has had similar results with the Fozgometer that I have had with the cart slighlt leaning inward. See my previous post.

8. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes I know, I was just asking if the azimuth is now correct.

9. Seancito

That's what I'm trying to reassure. The readings in both channels with the Fozgometer are close to equal, but I wanted to see if others who had used the device ended up with a slightly tilted cartridge?

10. missan

missan Forum Resident

What I mean is, if You look azimuth now, does it look ok. The fozgometer look at output and channel crosstalk. not azimuth per se.

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, I think the whole point of the device is "if you set azimuth by eye, you won't necessarily get the proper azimuth setting". So, I'd say if the measurements are okay, then it's okay if the cart looks slightly off kilter. If you put it on kilter, then the sound would be compromised. Does it sound good? Relax and enjoy.

12. missan

missan Forum Resident

The proper azimuth setting is setting the stylus correctly to the grooves. If it ends up, using the fozgometer, not correctly set to the grooves something is wrong.

13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

You're correct, but there's a small amount of leeway. I guess for the OP, the question may be, "How far to the left does your cartridge skew?" Per Michael Fremer:

Don't be surprised or shocked to find the best result is not with the cantilever perpendicular to the record surface! However, if the result is way to one side (more than 1.5 degrees or so) and you've recently spent more than $1000 for your cartridge, I'd contact the manufacturer for a replacement (if it's new).
    Read more at http://www.analogplanet.com/content/crazy-little-thing-called-azimuth-part-2#cyUD5o2AIAetVAXU.99

14. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

This may not be correct. Correct azimuth is not how the stylus is positioned in the groove, but how the signal coils are aligned in relation to the record groove. That is what the Fozgometer is measuring and is the adjustment that is meaningful.

15. missan

missan Forum Resident

Of course azimuth is the position of stylus in the groove.

16. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

You can look at it that way, but that's not what the Fozgometer is measuring. So, if you don't get the stylus perfectly centered in the groove but the reading is perfect, doesn't mean there's something wrong with the Fozgometer, which is my point.

17. missan

missan Forum Resident

Well the fozgometer works in certain way. What I´m trying to say is that azimuth is the stylus sitting perfectly in the groove. So if we end up with it not doing that, when does it become a problem with other parameters, e.g. tracking, distortion etc. When do we consider cartridge tolerances not so good, when is it better to just go with perfect azimuth.

18. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's very possible. The assembly of the components that make up the cartridge may not be 100% accurate,
    the stylus is the important part to get correct, the cantilever or cartridge body may have other misalignments,
    As Michael Fremer points out. Using a calibrated Fozgometer, done correctly it's a solid method
    of getting good results.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/crazy-little-thing-called-azimuth-part-1
    http://www.analogplanet.com/content/crazy-little-thing-called-azimuth-part-2

19. Seancito

Bottom line is that I am using the device to help set the azimuth as best as possible. Based on my accurate readings, it's showing that the cartridge is not perfectly parallel to the record and I'm asking if this would be correct. I think, by most of the responses I'm getting, that a parallel cartridge is not always a correctly set azimuth.

20. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Right. A device like the Fozgometer is aligning azimuth electrically. The physical orientation of the stylus may not be exactly parallel (but it should be close). On my Dynavector 17D3, the Fozgeter has the cartridge body exactly parallel to the record surface, but the stylus is positioned slightly clockwise in the groove. I have zero tracking problems despite that one side of the stylus is a touch higher in the groove than the other. However, the signal coils are aligned perfectly both physically (relative to the arm geometry and record surface) and electrically (output to the Fozgometer) and I've had nothing but excellent performance with that cartridge.

21. missan

missan Forum Resident

But should we eccept a cartridge that obviously isn´t well made. I mean if I pay for the cartridge it should be OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.