‘Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim’ Expanded 50th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Feb 22, 2017.

1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I did the same.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  2. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

There's a re-release of this album coming out by a reissue label called Audio Clarity. I'm assuming it's a grey market release. Does anyone know Audio Clarity? It's up for pre-order here.

3. Dr. Funkenstein

Dr. Funkenstein Forum Resident

Yep, grey market. They’re part of a wider Russian label, I believe. Steer well clear.

Record Rotator likes this.
  4. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

I’ll also pass on the listing for Francis Albert Sinatra and Josef Percival Stalin

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

DOL I believe.

6. Dr. Funkenstein

Dr. Funkenstein Forum Resident

The recent release of “Songs for Swingin’ Bolsheviks” is pretty solid

7. sinatrapicturefan

sinatrapicturefan Forum Resident

The same Audio Clarity outfit has now also released the second Sinatra-Jobim album, the original Reprise version of which was pulled off the market before the LP was released to stores. The cover art is faithful to the original. I have an original counter display stand-up that was sent to record stores that has the same image as on this album. Might be a nice collector's item for those interested:

Frank Sinatra with Antonio Carlos Jobim | eBay

[​IMG]

8. sinatrapicturefan

sinatrapicturefan Forum Resident

I went ahead and bought one. It's one of my favorites, and I doubt we will ever see the LP released by UME with this cover art. FYI, you can get it for approx. $16 total incl. shipping at the Junorecord website.

SteveM likes this.
  9. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

What does it sound like??

peace and love✌Dave

10. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Damn. Ume should have done this years ago! Missed chance. Very sad to see that album as a grey market production.

11. Me too! Beware though, if you want it grab a copy now. It's a limited release and most stocks have already sold out (it's not currently available on UK EBay, Amazon or at Juno) It's flying off the shelves probably more as a "collector's piece" than an audiophile's dream.

It is cut at 45rpm though. Somewhat hilariously, Soundshelter website has the full album for audio sampling but just as if to prove their total lack of attention to detail, it's been played at 33.33rpm and subsequently uploaded the same! :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    CBackley and JP Christian like this.
  12. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I've got an Astrud Gilberto release that I bought in error as it was from the Audio Clarity label and cut at 45rpm - rather quirky, sadly I can't make a good judgement on it as there is distortion on the master tape of this particular album, I don't believe I've ever heard a copy old, new or otherwise that doesn't have issues.

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

No, it is not. The cover image is cropped. And the music is undoubtedly just as fake, necessarily sourced from official digital reissues. This is no “collector’s item.” I wouldn’t want it on my shelf.

14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Plus, if they used the "Complete" CD for the tracks, as opposed to the ones in "The Suitcase", the sound will be just dreadful!

MarkusGermany likes this.
  15. JP Christian

It's intriguing though, they've gone to the effort of recreating an album that was never officially released in the first place (well it was released "accidentally" on 8-track cartridge and recalled!) - I expect they've cropped the cover in such a way as to cut out the original reprise logo, yes it's bogus but interesting as some of the songs I assume are on releases that are now pretty much out of print? I know some of the songs made it onto a later album but not all of them.

16. Bob F

They cropped much more than the Reprise logo. Cutting off Sinatra’s legs should tell you something. ;)

Their efforts do not deserve to be praised. The motivation is purely financial. Anyone who thinks this is a commendable offering is fooling themselves. From just where do you suppose the masters came? Anyone can rip a CD. (And, as @paulmock suggested, the sound quality is likely subpar.)

phillyal1, alanbeat, bozburn and 5 others like this.
  17. HGN2001

That cover was poorly Photoshopped using a repetitive cloning tool on the upper right in order to remove the Reprise/Warner/Seven Arts logo. You can see how the diagonal branch looks phony - because it is!

Bob F likes this.
  18. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Has anyone got any photos of this - it sounds too bad to not be seen!

19. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

It's the cover in post #507.

20. HGN2001

The best photo I have of the original is:

[​IMG]

panasoffkee likes this.
  21. JP Christian

I'm not condoning it, and yes they would have had to have cut off his legs to keep the image square so that's clearly what they've done. It's a shame that UME/UME missed a trick when they could have recreated this release last year for it's 50th anniversary, it could have been a RSD release...

sinatrapicturefan and SteveM like this.
  22. I don't know what people have against the "complete" CD. Granted I haven't lived with the original masters for any length of time as some have but I don't find it objectionable.

Humbuster and sinatrapicturefan like this.
  23. Bob F

No. The original hi-res color album slick has long been available. (Different than the image posted just above.) It was published as a removable foldout in the 2004 book, The Sinatra Treasures, by FSE head Charles Pignone. It measures approx. 11″ × 13″ (with the longer dimension horizontal). Trimming to a square would only eliminate some faux trees and the Reprise/Warner logos (which were way off to the right). They couldn’t even copy that properly.

McLover likes this.
  24. HGN2001

Didn't know about that. Would love to see a high res scan.

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

"FAS & ACJ" is so-so...but of less quality than the stand alone release(s). However, "Sinatra-Jobim" is atrocious! On many of their duets, you can barely hear ACJ. It's muddy as hell IMHO.