‘Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim’ Expanded 50th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Feb 22, 2017.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Sorry that I didn't see this sooner, Dave, but the blue vinyl is also available from the UK-based UMe store:

The uDiscover Music Store - Search for 'Sinatra Jobim' »

I don't know about the shipping charges or duties, but I'm seeing prices there of USD $12.99, $22.99, and $27.99, for the CD, black vinyl, and blue vinyl editions, respectively.

Beaneydave and aoxomoxoa like this.
  3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Bob F likes this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I've got the LASERDISC of the Jobim/Ella show!

And, as for the "clams", I recommend these ...

DmitriKaramazov and Bob F like this.
  5. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I'll get the digital version from iTunes.

6. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Thanks Bob I've emailed to try and cancel the US order and , if successful we reorder from Uk.

Peace and love✌

Bob F likes this.
  7. Bob F

More details from the uDiscover Music Store in the UK:

Product code 5735480: CD Album » (USD $12.99 / GBP £9.99 / EUR €11.99)
    Product code 5727618: Black Vinyl » (USD $22.99 / GBP £16.99 / EUR €20.99)
    Product code 5741461: Blue Vinyl » (USD $27.99 / GBP £21.99 / EUR €25.99)

Note that the black vinyl edition comes with a download voucher. This is not stated explicitly for the blue vinyl edition. Release date is 21 April 2017 (two weeks later than the US).

8. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Thanks again Bob I've had my US order confirmed as cancelled now and have reordered from the UK site.
    £52.xx v £ 25.xx and no risk of duty charges.

Peace and love✌

Arkoffs, SteveM and Bob F like this.
  9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

sinatra-jobim-blue-vinyl-lgSHTV.jpg
    That's a big label on that 12" LP!
    10inch.jpg 12inch.jpg
    (Photoshoped blowup of a 10" LP, maybe???)

rxcory and RiRiIII like this.
  10. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

11. Bob F

12. MLutthans

No doubt, and that's not a put down, as I'm sure this stuff is routinely "faked up." No biggie. The size of that label made me chuckle, though.

Arkoffs, rxcory and Bob F like this.
  13. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

And here I was really hoping this would include the first-ever vinyl issue of Sinatra Jobim.

Faraway, So Close...

phillyal1 and rxcory like this.
  14. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

My favorite Sinatra album!
    While I'm happy to see this, I'm afraid that it will put the nail in the coffin of seeing this come out as an SACD. :cry:

15. teag

teag Forum Resident

This fake news is totally out of control......:laugh:

Chris C and aoxomoxoa like this.
  16. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I do, it's great.

mpayan likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yep. Wont be getting this one.

18. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Not meant as a thread crap - would have killed for a Mofi release of this (like the 6 titles that were done recently).
    Guess the days of independent audiophile label releases of Sinatra are over.

MarkusGermany, Chris C and Torontotom like this.
  19. Probably my favorite Reprise album.

paulmock likes this.
  20. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

I must be in the minority 'cause this new release doesn't excite me at all. My old Sinatra/Jobim CD sounds fine to me and I have no real desire to discard it just to purchase another one for two unessential bonus tracks and a CD that probably sounds very close to the one I have. Phew, I feel better now.:pleased:

ggjjr likes this.
  21. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I'm surprised in the difference between the US and UK price for the blue.

Bob F likes this.
  22. Bob F

The same can probably be said of almost any Sinatra reissue. The 50th anniversary gives them a prime marketing opportunity/excuse. However, until we actually HEAR what they've done with the mix and mastering, such judgments may be premature. Just sayin'. ;)

kennyluc1 likes this.
  23. MLutthans

I'm more-or-less with you, as this stuff has been issued -- and often issued well -- in the past, so unless it seems that there's something genuinely special (shall we say, well-er done than old editions) to be had, then I'll stay on the sidelines, but I'm very hopeful that the products will be of high quality and that those are are seeking a (or another) top-quality release will get one.

You know, when it comes to going to the record store these days to buy Sinatra product, we are inching ever closer to being right back where things were in, say, 1982, i.e., many of the old titles are available and are sitting (and sitting and sitting) in bins waiting for buyers right now. Back then, when a new copy of (pick your title) showed up in the bins at Tower, it wasn't an "event." It was just a product, and the odds were just as good -- if not better -- that the mastering would be "fine" than the odds are today (based on the utterly unpredictable mixed-bag of Sinatra reissues since 2009). Difference was: Any single "catalogue title" LP you wanted was probably $4.98 or something, and was cut -- for better or worse -- "all analogue." That $4.98 Warner Brothers "Super Saver" LP on sale at Tower would equal about $14 today, based on inflation. (The situation for Capitol titles is a little different than for Warner titles, as so many of the Capitol titles were abridged, fake stereo, etc., but now are full-length and, when appropriate, true mono.)

That said, if word gets out that either the CD or the LP are stunningly fantastic, I'll be there post haste to get a copy. I don't need to buy anything (yet again) that's sup-par or even "just average." Here's hoping they get it right!

phillyal1, mikrt17, Arkoffs and 4 others like this.
  24. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

And, in response to Bob F. and MLutthans, I guess my post says more about me than the new Sinatra product. As I mentioned above, my original (?) Sinatra/Jobim CD sounds fine to me, and I never thought, "Gee, I wish they would remaster this thing so Jobim's guitar sounds crisper and Sinatra's voice sounds clearer." There are plenty of CD's in my collection (mostly old rock & roll ones) where I could envision an ear-opening improvement, but not really with a lot of Sinatra's, and especially not this one.

A quick question on the bonus track taken from the TV special...Can I assume it will not be of recording studio quality but more like a track taken from...a TV special?

NorCal, Bob F and MLutthans like this.
  25. MLutthans

No argument here. That's a very good sounding CD, IMO.

paulmock likes this.