‘Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim’ Expanded 50th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The bonus 45s would be much better. The lack of groove cramming would prove to be a real boon for this recording!

McLover likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The entire very-quiet album (both sides combined) is seven seconds longer than side one of Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely. Unless mastered by Alfred E. Newman, a bonus track or two would not be a technical problem at all. (I would be against it for matters of taste, nevertheless.)

McLover, gss and hodgo like this.
  3. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

I have the rhino and it sounds good. How compared to an original?

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

?!

But you can get it from the U.K. uDiscover store for 21GBP!

5. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Yes, read on we picked that up later, but thanks anyway.

Peace and love✌

6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, fooled by the forum layout once again !

Beaneydave likes this.
  7. Me too! I've now re-ordered from the UK site so a HUGE thanks to Bob here. The US order could conceivably have cost UK buyers as much as £66 with expensive shipping, customs and handling charges added. Now it's all in guaranteed for little over £25. That makes it borderline essential to my mind.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    hodgo, Bob F and Beaneydave like this.
  8. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I've moved my order to udiscover. I don't mind a dollar or 2 but $15 was eating my gut. Thanks Bob F. :righton:

Bob F likes this.
  9. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Was this the album where the 8-track had some variations that have otherwise never been released? If so, those would have made for great bonus tracks.

ETA: I've googled it and I see now that was a completely different album. Never mind.

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Yeah, but since you've brought it up, how about an "official" release of this album on vinyl, as it was originally planned? I would truly welcome it, as I love those Deodato arrangements, plus I'd love to have an "LP" sized cover of that wacky album cover, which didn't show Jobim at all, plus it had Frank in the exact same clothes that he had on the "My Way" cover!

The second "unreleased" Sinatra/Jobim album cover (and the original photo that they used to make it) ...

http://www.ogdoo.gr/media/k2/galleries/17064/05otan-o-frank-sinatra-synantise-ton-carlos-jobim.jpg

The "My Way" album cover ...

http://www.audiopreservationfund.org/graphics/acquisitions/COL_00013/Front Covers/Big/COL_00013_00210.jpg

phillyal1 likes this.
  11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Time for a few thread links. I recommend the first thread, especially for the great info from @Steve Hoffman and @Chris C:

2016 » "Francis Albert Sinatra & Antônio Carlos Jobim" Reprise LP FS-1021 studio take numbers, etc.
    2004 » Sinatra/Jobim "all versions" comparison including the new german 180g LP
    2010 » Sinatra-Jobim: 1998 German CD Versus "the Suitcase" Tracks
    2010 » Sinatra - Jobim Complete Reprise Recordings

12. Thanks for the links. They throw up some very interesting information. However, they've just cost me what I'd thought I'd previously 'saved' on my pre-order switch as I've just ordered a copy of the 1980 Japanese pressing to go with the new blue one!

Bob F likes this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

There exists a decent two-channel soundtrack for the 6½-minute Sinatra-Jobim TV medley. I just pulled out the DVD for a listen and quick look at the waveform, and it's not obviously taken from...a TV special. Nice dynamic range (DR11). Perhaps a bit too much reverb for my taste, and not much stereo separation, but if they do a good mastering job, I won't be kicking this out of my CD player.

By the way, the DVD version to get is the A Man and His Music Trilogy (with three shows on one disc), put out by UMG in the EU in 2011. It's region-free NTSC-format and—unlike the US A Man and His Music: The Collection from Shout! Factory (four shows on two discs)—the sound is uncompressed PCM stereo.

McLover, kennyluc1, hodgo and 2 others like this.
  14. I've just bought that very DVD you recommend. With the two LP's on order and now the DVD I'm pretty pumped to say the least.

Bob F likes this.
  15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I note that once again this uDiscover store have charged me in advance despite clearly stating in their FAQ that physical product is charged at the time of dispatch.

Last time I wrote to them they 'explained' that the physical product I ordered was 'digital product'.

16. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

A masterpiece, no need to remaster this beauty. Mono is king for me on this album.

17. Chris C

<<< As a tribute to this great album and it's 50th Anniversary, clearly one of my all-time favorites, I have changed my Avatar photo to the left for the time being, showing my copy of the original MONO Reprise LP!

Arkoffs and hodgo like this.
  18. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Good choice Chris. I also have a mint mono copy with the original Reprise inner sleeve. It sounds great. I also found I had a sealed (till yesterday) Stereo copy with an orange "smiling Frank" label. I've still got to listen to that one. So far my Kevin Gray mastered copy is the best sounding Stereo mix of this LP I've heard.

19. I also pre-ordered today and paid uDiscover with Paypal. They haven't taken any money yet and have simply requested an "authorisation" in advance which is noted in my account, presumably for when they want to take the money on release day. No complaints from me.

This is what it says in my Paypal account:

"This is a temporary authorisation to make sure your funding source will cover the payment. Your funding source will be charged when Digital Stores completes your order."

20. Chris C

I also have the Kevin Gray and no doubt that it is the best "Stereo" LP version out there, in my opinion, as well! < (I should add, as of February 23rd, 2017). The original Reprise "Mono" is a great fun listen, but dollar for dollar, this albums sways a little smoother in Stereo, or least it does when I play it on my Scott "299b" tube amp, Klipsch "Chorus" speakers and Dual "1229" turntable, with a Ortofon 2M Blue cart!

21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Thanks for that. I'm going to cancel and use PayPal instead, which I didn't notice. I paid with a credit card and they took that straight away.

Is your intended payment with PayPal based on funds therein or on a link to a bank or credit card account ?

22. It's to a linked credit card (I never retain funds in my Paypal account).

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Same here. Grand, I'll try that. Ta.

SteveM likes this.
  24. Have you heard the original Japanese (Warner Pioneer) pressing from 1980? From the sound samples it appears it is closer to the original in stereo imaging that the KG cut (which narrows the sound-stage ever so slightly).

25. Chris C

I have not, so maybe I was a little hasty in my opinion.