‘Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim’ Expanded 50th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Feb 22, 2017.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

MMM, kennyluc1, frog12 and 3 others like this.
  2. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

He's right Paul as you know, they don't make 'em like that anymore. That goes for singer and song.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

So -- I'm assuming it was Sinatra himself who brought "I Concentrate on You" to this album, an album with 7 (beautiful) co-writes by Jobim. A tune by Cole Porter is just the ticket!

A song he'd recorded -- twice definitely -- at Columbia and Capitol!

Anyway, who knew it would sound so great reinvented as a samba!!

phillyal1 and Six String like this.
  4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

'Fraid not, despite using the exact same method as yourself, I've been charged again. I think if you check your credit card itself, you'll find that you've been charged.

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I just stumbled upon a pic that @Bob F posted that somewhat backs up my thinking. These are the LPs released recently by UMe:
    [​IMG]
    (...and there have been other recent Sinatra LP issues, i.e., Rat Pack Live, that are not pictured, and the many LP reissues from unlicensed sources such as DOL.)

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

And the longer they sit the more fuel UMe has for not pressing any more. They pulled the plug on Bing when a massive reissue of his catalogue came out on CD (with lots of previously unreleased material to whet appetites) and did not generate enough sales interest to continue marketing anymore of his recordings. VERY sad. Bigger is NOT always better!!!!

MLutthans likes this.
  7. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Not certain whether Sinatra has a broad enough appeal now to sell a heap of product. Probably the same people buying the same titles over and over for bonus material or the hope that it will be a definitive mastering. I'm not interested in the flashy box sets if the mastering is poor or no better than obtainable OOP releases. For me the recent Mofi releases were benchmark quality and look how quickly that release campaign was snuffed out - a real pity. I don't think we will get definitive masterings from UME (I would love to be proven wrong).

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

There have been some in that series that are the best-ever releases, such as THIS IS SINATRA, VOLUME TWO, which absolutely floored me, it's such an improvement over previous editions (in any format). I'd also put SONGS FOR SWINGIN' LOVERS as a "best ever vinyl release" and Watertown and Come Fly with Me (mono version) at (at least) "as good as the previous best-ever release."

There have been some real dogs, too, of course!

rxcory, SteveM, CBackley and 3 others like this.
  9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I would chime in here and say that, much maligned as it has been (and often for very good reasons) in most of it's versions, the UMe LP of Ring a Ding Ding! is the best out there.

Arkoffs and MLutthans like this.
  10. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I just hope they get it right this time.

11. kennyluc1

I am looking forward to the session material.

12. kennyluc1

I have session material for Feb 1, 1967... I do not know of anyone having anything from Jan 31, 1967

paulmock likes this.
  13. Don't forget In The Wee Small Hours, Matt. That is also very good. She Shot Me Down is arguably the best copy out there too. I also have Sings Songs From Great Britain, but whilst I like it I have nothing else to compare it to.

McLover likes this.
  14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

In addition to the Sinatra Shop and uDiscover Music Store, there is a third alternative for ordering the "exclusive" blue vinyl edition:

This store is operated by Universal Music in the UK. Price is the same as uDiscover Music, but they offer a "10% off your first order" promotion for signing up for their newsletter. Additional details in this post at Sinatra Family Forum:

MLutthans likes this.
  15. Yes, it appears so. I've just checked my account and the payment has now been taken. Oh well, I'm not too bothered about it; this way at least I now feel as though I'm legally "in charge" of the situation and at least one of those 1000 beauties is already mine. :)

16. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

17. Bob F

I've been asked about this, because Amazon has incorrect product descriptions:

US » Amazon.com: Frank Sinatra - A Man And His Music Trilogy: Frank Sinatra: Movies & TV
    UK » Frank Sinatra - A Man And His Music Trilogy DVD 2011: Amazon.co.uk: Frank Sinatra: DVD & Blu-ray

(The Amazon UK price is a considerable savings.)

Trust me that this Made-in-the-EU DVD is marked "REGION: 0 (WORDWIDE)" and it will play in US players (i.e. NTSC).

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I know :cry:, I've had 2 bottles of wine and just pre-ordered. damn I'm a sucker :doh:

rangerjohn likes this.
  19. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Interesting. Some exquisite music on these albums--two of my favorite Sinatra records.

rangerjohn likes this.
  20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yep, but that would still be the case had you been able to order from, say, Amazon UK. It really annoys me paying upfront two months in advance. They did it for the Half-Speed Master™ releases about six months in advance and refused to enter in dialogue about it by email, when I pointed out that the clause in their T&Cs is therefore redundant regarding physical product.

As it is, note that there's only 250 copies for this part of the world...

21. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Listened to this in the morning yesterday on youtube. First time I've heard this recording. Not saying any new news to the knowing in this thread for sure, but it's very nice and so laid back. I have the mfsl box and Live in Paris but generally speaking....limited Sinatra titles.
    This sounds & looks like it will be a wonderful addition. Plus, I'm a sucker for translucent vinyl and the blue looks so cool. :agree:

22. Bob F

rushed again and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  23. Bob F

For comparison to the above, here is a YouTube playlist for the oft-criticized 2010 Concord Records remix, Sinatra/Jobim: The Complete Reprise Recordngs. Tracks 1–10 are the Claus Ogerman tracks from the thread subject '67 album; tracks 11–20 are the ’69 recordings with Eumir Deodato:

Complete album playlist —> Sinatra/Jobim: The Complete Reprise Recordings - YouTube

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Sidebar posting, but on February 1st, Glen Campbell's facebook page posted that it was 50 years ago to that day, that Glen played on Frank & Nancy Sinatra's classic "Something Stupid", which for those who don't know, was recorded on the same night that they wrapped the second and final night of recording the "Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim" album. They posted 4 photos, one of which I've never seen before, which shows Glen with the band, which was great to see.

On this day in 1967, Glen played on two... - Glen Campbell (Official) | Facebook

MMM and rxcory like this.