"Francis Albert Sinatra & Antônio Carlos Jobim" Reprise LP FS-1021 studio take numbers, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Elliot was married at that time to my old girlfriend. They have since split up. She has a great musical ear and I used to rely on her as well for all sonic and musical opinions.

Steve Litos, McLover and showtaper like this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Most of it's clear. Interesting that it'd be a split signal; is it split before or after the console, or somewhere in the middle? Or are there two consoles as well?

Also; why A reel and B reel? I would have thought that would be a metric effton of tape used; but I guess that's what the erase head is for.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Steve may know more specifics, but I believe the consoles has mono and multitrack output busses.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. I'm curious as to why anyone might expect UMe to reissue this album from the original mix when the main labels haven't done such a thing since 1988 when the album originally got its digital debut? There have been at least 4 different reissues since then and none are from the original '67 mix. As I think I might have said in another corresponding thread, even the KG all-analogue vinyl version from 2004 noticeably narrows the sound-stage from the '67 version (check out Matt's sound clips). It seems no one has ever been completely satisfied with the '67 mix, otherwise it would presumably have been left alone.

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

One possibility people should consider is that the upcoming 50th anniversary (blue vinyl) release might very well be the Kevin Gray cut. Although that was done for WB/Rhino in 2004, the rights are owned by the Sinatra estate (now licensed to UMe). I have no evidence that this will be the case; just sayin'.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    MLutthans and SteveM like this.
  6. That would be most welcome if it turned out to be true. Do major labels even think that logically these days? I mean they have an already great mastering they can use from 13 years ago but who would bring this to their attention and who would listen / have final say on the matter? One can't help but think they've probably got their chosen engineer beavering away on title after title on a conveyor belt and that's what we're get in 2017, not some older master unearthed from the past. In todays parlance 13 years is a very long time ago.

I do hope you're hunch is right anyway!

McLover likes this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

^^^ For Reprise titles, Frank Sinatra Enterprises calls the shots. The label (UMe) probably has very little to do with the technical mechanics (unlike the Capitol/EMI stuff which they own). Why put Ron McMaster to work when they already have a (very nice) Kevin Gray version in the can?

SteveM and Simon A like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Not two consoles, just one, as Luke stated above. The sessions in major studios always had double machines going in case of technical problems and to keep a pristine session record. The "A" reels were usually cut up, edited, put on albums, etc. and the "B" reels were kept in session order, as is, until they started taking up too much room and were dumped in a trash can.

McLover and Simon A like this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Or, in the case of certain producers apparently, *both* sets of reels were cut up.

Simon A likes this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Thanks! Makes perfect sense. So of course the practice stopped.

11. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, it was uneven, the procedure but the monos suffered the fate of being dumped, lost while the three-track stuff was saved, both A and B reels.
    Well, when 8-track recording came along and EVERYTHING started to be remixed after the session, I think they stopped doing a/b machines. I know that when Western recorded "THAT'S LIFE" by Sinatra there was a problem with the 8 track and something didn't get recorded. So they only had one machine going. And no mono, so by the end of 1967 most studios started just concentrating on a single multi-track machine and making the stereo mixes from that. Saved a bunch of tape but made it harder to find a pristine first generation mix years later; instead of two mix choices of the same generation (like you would find in 1966 with an A and B version) there was just one stereo mix, usually worn out or on crappy 200 series tape. That's what happened to the stereo master of JOBIM, it melted. A design flaw of the Scotch brand of recording tape that was in use in studios at that time. Dreadful stuff. Good thing a pristine Dolby A analog safety was made before the meltdown.

McLover, Steve Litos, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  12. teag

teag Forum Resident

Maybe it's just me but want to get clarification.

The great sounding Kevin Gray stereo release in the early 2000's - is that the original mix from the original master tape? Or was there no master left to use?

How can one tell which 1960's releases used the master tape and original mix, mono and stereo? Are these the best sounding?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Studio 2 I guess? I can't find a vintage photo, but it's not Studio 1. Nor Studio 3.

Can't find any photos of what was in Studio 2, but here's Chuck Britz at the console that was installed in Studio 1 in late 1965:

[​IMG]

Info on that (Studio 1) console here:

http://studioelectronics.biz/wp-content/themes/studioelectronic/newsletters/65dec.pdf

"This master recording console is geared to four-track recording, and offers 22 individually equalized microphone mixer channels. Simultaneous recording can be done in any three or four modes: four-track, three-track, two track or monaural. The balances and echo content can be separately adjusted for each mode."

Arkoffs likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

I wonder what all of those funky pots are on the right? Geez, so many knobs. I guess that's the Sel-Sync playback, or the line mixing part?

McLover likes this.
  15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As noted, that's from Studio 1. I'm assuming Studio 2 had a different console, but at the moment I'm not finding photos.

Lower quality, but more complete view of the Studio 1 console in the United newsletter, page 2. Huge section on the right.

16. Steve Hoffman

Wow, the rest of the console is even funkier. Also, totally obsolete within two years when eight track recording came in. That must have hurt.

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Very interesting! I wish that I could find that posting that I read, back when Elliot was working on those Sinatra 5.1 surround mixes, regarding Elliot's then wife, as she was doing the final transfers for him and the whole building lost power and they thought that they lost everything, but, thanks to this one piece of equipment, everything luckily backed up perfectly! I'll keep hunting that info down for you, as I know that you would enjoy reading that.

18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Her name was Diana, I remember now! I found the article ...

Furman Sound Blackout Press Release

Simon A likes this.
  19. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I just checked the Reprise 1021-2 with the suitcase on "Baubles" and they seemed virtually identical in Audacity

The only other version I have was the "Complete Jobim/Sinatra" 20 track compilation - this is the same file just mastered/normalised but they run completely in sync

Bob F likes this.
  20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

21. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Are any of takes 1,2, or 3 complete? Will we hear a complete alternate or a partial? Or perhaps the released take 4 without any edits or the intercut?

The Press release says "recording session" while the U Discover website says "alternate take"?

22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

That could be a session for one of Jobim's solo Warner LP's.

McLover and Steve Hoffman like this.
  23. teag

teag Forum Resident

In 2005 I bought a sealed stereo copy of this title that looked like it had a chance to be an original pressing. I never opened it because I had the Kevin Gray which to me sounded really good (I have posted many times stating this). However, Saturday evening, inspired by the recent discussion of this album, I broke down, and opened and played the sealed copy! This will be my new go to copy. The sonics are fantastic - there is a magic that is hard to describe. Not quite as detailed as the Kevin Gray but the vocal is really, really full and lush. I believe it is an original pressing but not 100% positive. Others may be able to tell better than me.

The dead wax states:
    side 1: FS-1021-A-30653-1L-
    side 2: FS-1021-B-30654-1L-

Label is the "smiling Frank" Reprise.

The insert has what I believe to be the proof in the pudding; all of the LPs that are pictured on the insert were released prior to this album (1967), as far as I can tell - I checked all the FS albums pictured. I found a picture of this insert online and copied it below. Mine is actually in better shape than the one in the picture, hardly yellow and the paper has very good integrity - not bad for 50 years.

I was wondering if others think this may be an original pressing?

[​IMG]

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I think you have an original, teag. Sleeve is correct era for that LP. If not a first pressing, real close to one. Definitely a good pressing.

teag likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Just wanted to state that I unearthed my notes from my old DCC projects. The entire JOBIM album plus SOMETHING STUPID and DRINKING AGAIN were all marked "STUDIO 1" in my notes, so there ya go. The four-track room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.