Frank Marino fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GibsonExplorer, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I think there was a thread about these duels a while back and someone said they saw Nugent battle Wayne Kramer from MC5 as well.

peopleareleaving likes this.
  2. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

Count me as a huge fan as well. I will echo another poster's comment that in ~1982, I was dragged to a show at a bar across the river here in Ottawa and, uh, wow, as I didn't know very much about him! Blown away as they say...I don't have his early stuff but do have the Live '78 release (as well as Juggernaut and MHIV). Saw him 1 more time, I think the next year.

Truth be told I hadn't thought about FM until this thread so I'm appreciative of this! Live is going on the TT tonight....

SinnerSaint and Tony-A like this.
  3. Yeah, particularly as he streamlined his act/sound for a more widespread US hard rock success.

SinnerSaint and John Fell like this.
  4. This is an informative video about his style with some nice playing, effects, and he comes across as generally very nice:

Paulo Alm, SinnerSaint and clhboa like this.
  5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

6. Love him too. Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush Live is my favorite.

Natvecal. and SinnerSaint like this.
  7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

By the way..... don't buy the Frank Marino reissues (2017) by Rock Candy Records.

Awful sound.... butchered by Jon Astley.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Not surprising I guess, since the original master recordings don't even exist anymore anyways (from what I understand). Wonder what source material was used for these? IIRC What's Next, The Power of R&R, Juggernaut that came out on "Black Rose Records" in 1999 were all needledrops (& possibly "unauthorized"?).

I'm gonna get all three of those new ones anyway just for the new booklets/liner notes/photos, maybe they sound better what I already have. If nothing else maybe Frank himself will make a couple pennies off the reissue sales.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  9. calpon

calpon Forum Resident

Sadly, no, according to Frank.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  10. BIG fan of "Distorted Electric Guitar"; so BIG Frank Marino/"Mahogany Rush" fan in the mid-Seventies.

Got a 'Needle Drop' CD w/white tray in the mid-Nineties; super disappointed! Was an Import [not US] of "Child of the Novelty" & first thing i heard was vinyl surface noise. Got rid of it.
    Was that the '89 "Repertoire Records" release?

11. calpon

calpon Forum Resident

Frank has the rights to his earliest stuff and they can be ordered from his unofficial "official" website. Even remastered by him and sound great.

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The UK label BGO Records released Juggernaut and The Power of R&R in 2012 (DR 10) and Live/Tales.../What's Next in 2009.

The Rock Candy reissues (DR 7-8) are no needledrops....

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  13. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

Boy, that is a name I haven;t thought of in years...Mahogany Rush were a great band live and his solo stuff can stand up to anything put out today...

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ughh.

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx for the info.

I actually have both of those combo BGO releases, as well as the Black Rose records ones. Think I'll pick up the new ones anyway (chiefly for the enhanced liner notes). Have decided to get the live one too (even though I already have that twice on CD already too). At least that one has two bonus tracks (not sure if I already have those on something else or not).

16. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

I scored a used copy of Power Of Rock And Roll a few weeks back.
    The original Columbia issue.
    It's a terrific recording and the band just explodes out of your speakers.
    I kept thinking how good the album sounded.
    My original copy of What's Next sounds amazing as well.

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Are you talking about LPs? I wasn't aware of those coming out on CD as Columbia/CBS (???). The only releases I know of on CD of those are BGO and Black Rose (besides the 2017 Rock Candys).

18. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Sorry, yes I'm talking LP's.
    Just affirming that those albums should sound very good if mastered properly for CD.

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ah, OK.

I had all of Frank's albums on LP up through Juggernaut back in the day. Let 'em all go for less than 50 cents each...all in mint condition too....

20. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush Live( '78) is the first I heard of him .Promptly went out & bought it on LP . Purple Haze is amazing. Never heard a better version . He gave that song some teeth. I love Hendrix and not saying one's better than.....just Frank really rocks it out. On LP in the late '70s had WA ,IV also. Then Juggernaut when released. Lost touch over time until the I saw him live in the mid to late '80s at The Bacchanal in San Diego(my home town) GREAT show. Again over time lost touch until I saw a nice price CD FM&MR Live bought it and went WOW!!!!! This was in the early 2000s and finally on CD got the BGOs everyone's mentioning (seem to be the best versions so far?) .The earlier albums DO sound very Hendrixy to me. Like Trower he found his sound/style later and excelled at it. I don't like picking/choosing between one or another guitarist. I LIKE THEM ALL & enjoy listening to all this music.

21. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

To this day I still say his version of Johnny B. Goode is the definitive version. Whenever I play someone who's never heard of Frank Marino that live version, they have to scrape their jaw off the floor. LOL

I saw him live probably about 10 years ago at BB Kings in NYC and he played over 3 hours and was absolutely mind blowing. I don't get how he is not invited to tour with Experience Hendrix. He would wipe the floor with everyone on that bill.

GodShifter and slipkid like this.
  22. Natvecal.

What (as a guitarist) attracted me to Frank (referring to the '78 Live LP) was the energy of that album. Eventually I got into the whole shred /speed ( think Shrapnel records & all other virtuoso like stuff) guitar craze when I was playing back in the '80s / '90s . To me, looking back (a bit wiser over time)what lacked (besides a lot of soul/feel ) was that "wailing " aspect and Frank DEFINES that in '78 on that Live album. For me, Frank ( to describe his playing) WAILS on the guitar. It's better suited to him then "shredding or ripping " .Wailing on the guitar is a lost/ dying art in my opinion and THAT is Frank's secret sauce.As an example, George Lynch (Dokken) dug Frank and you can hear the carry over to that band with George's wailing notes embedded through out his solos. I'm not saying go listen to Dokken .But, as a guitarist I can tell George picked up on that as well and used it to good use as a lead guitarist that helped him stand out from the HORDES of guitarist popping out of the woodwork's (literally !)through out the Guitar Gods '80s.

23. Natvecal.

Hey old school, I bet you can guess where Frank carried his Wailing over from.

24. Natvecal.

25. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

I was wholly unfamiliar with him until college in the late '80s. I had a roommate who would pop in a cassette of "Juggernaut" whenever I was in his car. I really dug it, but I never bothered to seek out anything else by him (and haven't even heard "Juggernaut" since that time). Perhaps I should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.