Frank Ocean vs The Weeknd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarvius

Jarvius Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm team Frank all day. But, The Weeknd is a better singer. Frank is the better artist to me. Plus, Weeknd music is way too depressing.

I'm loving Channel Orange right now.

2. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

The Weeknd, IMHO. I like what I've heard from Frank Ocean but the songwriting on the three Weeknd mixtapes to date is absolutely breathtaking. There's much more darkness with the Weeknd which tends to be more my cup of tea. I also like the weirdness of the production.

3. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

I'm team Frank as well. I find The Weeknd a little dull over all. For Frank don't stop with Channel Orange though. Hit the internet to find the "Nostalgia, Ultra" release from 2011. It never came out officially because of all the samples that couldn't be cleared most notably the Hotel California sample that anchors the stunning "American Wedding" track. One more reason to loath the slime that is Henley...lol..anyway, Nostagia, Ultra is even better than Channel Orange to these ears. Another, somewhat related, recent release I cannot get enough of is Miguel's Kaleidoscope Dream. Being the funk/R&B guy that you are I can't recommend this album more. Took a few plays to hook in but once it did I've been playing it at least a couple times a week.

4. Duck Feeling

Duck Feeling Forum Resident

I really like The Weeknd trilogy but I love Channel Orange by Frank Ocean. His album has something that thrills me every time I listen to it. Also I find The Weeknd a little too precious sometimes, too carrying about how he'll be received whereas Frank Ocean's songs seem perfectly natural to me.

But I'm curious about the first proper The Weeknd debut scheduled for this year, it could be a masterpiece.

5. Jarvius

R&B is going to be in some good hands.

6. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

House of Balloons > Channel Orange > Nostalgia Ultra > the other Weeknd stuff, IMO.

7. Both pretty strong IMO. But if I was forced to choose...Frank.

8. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I finally just heard Nostalgia Ultra and love it, which made me go back and re-buy Channel Orange which I liked/disliked/now really like again.

Does anyone think Nostalgia Ultra will ever get an Island Def Jam CD release? It should.

Can't stop playing the track with MGMT's Electric Feel as the backing track. Very cool.

9. Miguel, all the way.

I've been trying to get into The Weeknd. I love "Wicked Games." I just haven't gotten the urge to listen to his stuff. Frank Ocean, on the other hand, is a snooze. I really don't get the hype at all.

10. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Agree 100% on Miguel's Kaleidoscope Dream. Favorite track is "Do You".

11. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'm gonna go with The Weeknd. Never really got into Frank Ocean.

12. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The Trilogy did not impress me. It had some great ideas, like sampling Siouxsie and the Banshees, but it was just too unremittingly bleak and I found it a slog. That said, "Can't Feel My Face" is a terrific song (just ask Tom Cruise), and if the next album is up to that level Ocean is going to have a challenge on his hands.
    By the way, where is that album Mr. Ocean, July is over.
    Based on Nostalgia, Ultra and Channel Orange, I'm definitely going with Frank Ocean.

13. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Probably not. Don Henley.

14. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

[​IMG]

They're both good artists.

15. jlimburg

jlimburg Forum Resident

The first Weeknd mixtape (House of Balloons) is probbbbbably superior to Channel Orange for me, by a hair. Both 2 of the best albums of the last 5 years. I'd say the 2nd and 3rd parts of the Weeknd trilogy are about the same quality as Frank's Nostalgia Ultra mixtape. The Weeknd's last album was lame tho. Might have to give it to Frank right now just because he hasn't released a disappointment yet.

16. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

If we're comparing their most recent releases, Frank.

Jarvius likes this.
  17. Jarvius

I can't believe I said Weeknd was a better singer haha. Frank took that crown.

Marble Index and JohnnyQuest like this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

both extremely overrated IMHO, but considering the times (and the plethora of auto-tune songs out there), i can see why they get the praise they get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.