"Frank". Really enjoyed this odd ball film.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Great performance by Mchael Fassbinder (inspired by a true story) about a rock band with an ecce tric lead singer (Fassbinder) who wears a fiberglass fake head and suffers from metal problems (as well as many of his band members). When anew member joins with Aspirarions for the big time things go a bit awry.

norman_frappe likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That's great news!
    I was hearing a lot of 'meh' reviews about it.
    I actually remember reading about Frank in the English music magazines we used to sell.
    We even had the MNE comp. of bands covering "Sgt. Pepper", and he did "Mr. Kite"!
    It was the only song of his I ever heard, but, that mask certainly intrigued me.
    Never heard anymore from him, but, instead, became a 'hard-core' Residents fan.
    Can't wait to see this!

3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Rented it via iTunes this weekend. It was okay. Not very many laugh-out-loud funny moments for me, but it kept me interested and entertained for 90 minutes. I'd give it 3.5/5 stars.

4. vince

But, from what I can tell, Fassbinder is neither singing nor talking like Frank Sidebottom.
    I could only tell from the 'clip' and the song he did on "Colbert".

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

From what I can gather, Frank Sidebottom and his fake head are mostly just inspiration and a jumping-off point for the movie. It's not really meant to be about the real Frank at all.

6. vince

Really?
    Hmmmmm....weird.

7. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/...ebottom-movie-michael-fassbender-chris-sievey

The film's writer, Jon Ronson, talks about how the Frank Sidebottom story became the movie "Frank" in the article above. It's supposed to be more of a "fable" about artists who were too strange to make it in the mainstream.

I found the movie intriguing and more dark than I expected. What's also evident once you see it is that the Ronson surrogate character drives the narrative - and is written to be surprisingly unlikable, especially in the later half of the story.

8. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

I just watched this last night on netflix and rather enjoyed it. It is a quirky film, I would go as far to say artsy but this is what I liked about it. It gives a glimpse into the tormented soul of the creative mind. I would give it a higher rating than some of the previous posters at a 4.5.

I also thought the band was incredible.

Mr. H and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  9. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

The film's last five minutes are quite cathartic.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    Pinknik likes this.
  10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I liked it.

11. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Brilliant movie.
    I purchased a copy of the UK HMV exclusive Blu-ray edition which includes a slipcover and some art cards >>>

[​IMG]

spartanmanor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.