Frank Sinatra - Best Sounding CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FieldingMellish, Jun 18, 2012.

1. FieldingMellish

FieldingMellish Active Member Thread Starter

Hi

I've only recently discovered a love of Sinatra. I was going to buy a couple of CDs, probably 'A Swingin Affair' and 'Songs for Swinging Lovers', and maybe a compilation. But the choices are bewildering.

In general, if I want original albums, which CD issues are best?

IN terms of compilations, I was tempted by these:

'Best of the Best'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005L3HJQE?tag=10xxx11040-21

'Platinum Collection'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Platinu...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1340019917&sr=1-1

'Captiol Years' (3 disc)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capitol-Yea...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1340019978&sr=1-2

All suggestions welcome

Tom Stigler likes this.
  2. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

"The Capitol Years" is unbeatable for a start. Probably the best-mastered of the Capitol stuff. Then, to see a different side of Sinatra, try out some of the fabulously mastered (with loving hands by Sinatra afficianado Chuck Granata) Columbia recordings from the 1940's (especially "Swing And Dance With Frank Sinatra"). If only our host could get his hands on the Capitol and Reprise stuff.... Oh well...

3. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Best Of The Best is best, and you get the extra live disc never before available which by itself is worth the cost.:righton:

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

For Capitol albums such as the two you mention (the "best" Sinatra years, IMO), look for the 1987-91 CDs mastered by Larry Walsh. Most of these are still available new in the UK. Stay away from the current 1998-2002 US reissues mastered by Bob Norberg! Search the forum for "Sinatra Capitol" in thread titles for many lengthy discussions and comparisons of sound quality.

I would recommend you also pick up Capitol ballad albums: IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS is considered by many to be Sinatra's finest masterpiece, and MFSL recently issued a terrific mono CD of ONLY THE LONELY. (WHERE ARE YOU? is my personal all-time favorite.)

+1 Agree with this, and the thick booklet is excellent and informative. :thumbsup:

The excellent bonus disc (previously available from DCC) only comes with the pricier 2-CD edition, though. The main CD does include both Reprise and Capitol recordings, but I would recommend the all-Capitol comps to a newbie.

Vineshoot, CBackley, McLover and 5 others like this.
  5. FieldingMellish

Thanks everybody.

I think I'll go for the 2-Disc 'Best of the Best', since I'll get the live album. And I intend to get the individual Capitol albums.

This seems to be the Larry Walsh one, yes?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Swingin-A...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1340027347&sr=1-1

And this (maybe?):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Songs-Swing...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1340027475&sr=1-1

Cheers
    FM

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

One other title that I would recommend for starters (as it was the LP that first got me hooked on Sinatra in the late 1950s) is the combination of his first two Capitol albums, SONGS FOR YOUNG LOVERS and SWING EASY!. But be sure to buy this British mastering on the EMI-MFP (Music For Pleasure) label, with SWING EASY! on the cover and first in the track list:

(The Amazon track listings are wrong, BTW, but those are the correct links.)

alanbeat, Gardo, aoxomoxoa and 3 others like this.
  7. FieldingMellish

Thanks. Have just bought that from Amazon. I'm in the UK, by the way.

Thanks for all your helpful advice.

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

9. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

And to my ears, I love the mastering offered on the relatively-recent "A Voice in Time" box set from Sony/Legacy, that highlights Sinatra's Harry James, Dorsey, and Columbia years.

I just love how those sound.

KipB likes this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Even more bewildering, with the recent proliferation in the UK and Europe of unofficial and/or "grey market" releases enabled by the expiration of EU copyrights. In addition to the US Norberg remasters mentioned earlier, I would steer clear of these Johnny-come-lately CDs, despite the bargain-basement prices. Sound quality is likely to be deficient in most if not all of these.

alanbeat likes this.
  11. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

It was available. DCC Gold CD.

Attached Files:

12. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I had very little Sinatra in my library until recently just 4 CD's the "Capitol Collectors Series" CD which has great sound and Sinatra Reprise - "The Very Good Years", Live at The Sands and "Songs For Swingin' Lovers" I started to get interested in acquiring more and got a Norberg 'Concepts" cheap from a forum member. (Now I know why he got rid of it :) ) The threads here on Frank Sinatra are incredible just like the NKC ones.

This put me on a quest for all the Walsh CD versions which were found easily in the Bay Area. I expanded from there with "The Capitol Years" which sounds really good and "Complete Singles" 4CD's then I found a complete Reprise Suitcase for a price I couldn't refuse. I came up kind of fast and have enjoyed this musical quest. The 21 CD UK Capitol Years box looks very attractive at this point but at the right price. (I'll wait) I also found a few grey Capitol LP's (WSH, SFSL & CFWM) in the shops here in pretty good condition. I have enough to listen to at this point but want more suggestions...:winkgrin:

CBackley likes this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Sounds like you're ready for the RCA and Columbia material. I second the suggestion of the Sony/Legacy 4-CD box, FRANK SINATRA: A VOICE IN TIME 1939-1952.

CBackley and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Fantastic disc!

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Let's not forget that scrumptuous 2 CD set on RCA/Bluebird that Mr. Granata & Co. made sound as if they were recorded in the 60's. "The Essential Frank Sinatra with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra". :righton:

CBackley and KipB like this.
  16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Readers should be aware that the bonus disc in the new BEST OF THE BEST 2-CD set is NOT the same (i.e. Steve Hoffman) mastering. If you can find one, and price is no barrier, the DCC Gold version is preferable.

CBackley and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  17. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

18. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Thanks for the suggestions. I got that one ordered ! I hear this has good sound.

How did they make it sound recorded in the 60's ? If I aquired "A Song Is You" would this box set cover most from this era? I see some might of these interlap with each other which is OK.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Rockport Technologies turntable.

The 5-CD box THE SONG IS YOU contains ALL of the Sinatra/Dorsey material, save a few alt. takes, in nice sound. The more recent 2-CD ESSENTIAL cutdown includes the most popular tracks, in even better sound due to newer-technology transfers.

20. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

This brings up another question that I have never gotten answered. "The Song Is You" collection on RCA in all aspects sounds better than anything (except the very last "tape recorded" tracks) from the Columbia era.

Did RCA Victor preserve their masters better, did RCA Victor have better technology in the 1940's for recording, or are the Columbia masters simply more worn out from overuse?

CBackley likes this.
  21. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I stand corrected, what are the chances i'll find one of these in some used bin.:)

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not likely. :) If you do find one, grab it: Current prices from Amazon resellers start at $48 used and $100 new!

(But at least the DCC Gold CD is not brickwalled and has liner notes, unlike the BOTB version.)

CBackley likes this.
  23. FieldingMellish

Just want to say a quick thank you, very much indeed, for this recommendation. Received this during the week and can't stop playing it. Stellar stuff. And fantastic value.

Cheers

Gardo likes this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

^^^ You're quite welcome. I'm happy to help out a new Sinatra convert!

Gardo likes this.