Frank Sinatra Centenial Celebration question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldCoder, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Frank was born December 12, 1915.

Does anyone know if the celebration for his 100th birthday would take place in the year leading up to his 100th, or would it start on his 100th and last for a year?

I can't stop thinking that we are now in the product "lull before the storm" that will arrive with that celebration.

Bob F likes this.
  2. Rackmacko

Rackmacko Active Member

Something tells me that Ol Blue Eyes is in one of those periodic slumps that all artists go through. One that who't be rejuvenated so soon before his 100th.

We'll get a few more hits packages that come with bourbon coupons or something, and that'll be it.:targettiphat:

3. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

C'mon, we got almost everything during the 75th anniversary project...

Give me something unique from the Capitol years. Why not those Deluxe Editions? with... marbles and stuff. :D

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Maybe they can spend thousands upon thousands on a crappily remixed version of "The Concert Sinatra" and sell a whopping 434 copies in the first week of release, just like in 2012. Or they could give us something that sounds good. I vote for the latter.

rangerjohn, DLant, Kirk76 and 2 others like this.
  5. OldCoder

My question about the time frame of the Centennial was related to Bob F.'s concern over the delays with the other MOFI release date for the announced titles.

Those are among the most valued that Frank did, and putting them out before the Centennial may limit how big a splash they can make.

Or perhaps they did not get the pre-order counts they wanted. I haven't ordered as I don't need more Sinatra like the Concord releases. While the latest MOFI has been great, I am still nervous enough to wait until the product arrives to order.

I would love to think there will be outstanding sounding releases that will be backed by a smart marketing plan, all leading to renewed popularity for Frank's music and setting sales records.

I fear though that I am simply dreaming, and the odds of this are "slim at best".

Is it really too soon for some rumors to pin our hopes on?

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I don't think the MoFi delays have anything to do with the upcoming centennial. They're not unique to Sinatra.

In fact, I might bet that Frank Sinatra Enterprises cares zilch about audiophile releases, and that is the only reason we're seeing these MFSL reissues at all at this time. There has been zero promotion of these on the official sinatra.com website, and just a brief mention by Nancy on the family forum.

Outside of MFSL, there have been NO new Sinatra releases at all in the last year and a half, and this is certainly the "lull before the storm" as suggested in the thread opener. One way to increase demand for new product is to decrease supply in advance. I'm sure FSE has big plans for something in the centennial of Frank Sinatra's birth, but I wouldn't expect audiophile sound quality. I hope I'm wrong...

7. OldCoder

Thanks for the perspective Bob.

You're right, MOFI does this with just about every title.
    And audiophiles are too small a market to be considered as a marketing target for the Centennial.

Time to practice patience, and enjoy the "here and now".

howlinrock and Bob F like this.
  8. wave

wave Forum Resident

2 years to go...

Happy Birthday, Mr. Sinatra.

readytoswing.png

9. +1. I refuse to believe that his 100th birthday commemoration will pass by without some sort of release. On the SFF I've always written that I hope the final definitive Capitol boxed set comes out, using the correct tapes of all sessions and package it in something similar to the 1993 Columbia box or the 6-CD Hollywood box.

bozburn and wave like this.
  10. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I dunno, feeling tired of expensive, overblown box sets that always seem to prioritize size and packaging over sound quality. I just want to see more audiophile releases. I want Frank to sound like Frank. Tired of having to choose between a vapid Larry Walsh remix and an over-baked NoNoised Duophonic Norberg production.

howlinrock and hodgo like this.
  11. MLutthans

For probably 95% of Sinatra's Capitol recordings, really good versions have been issued somewhere on this globe, but man, oh, man, it takes some serious digging/collecting/perseverance to find them in some cases. It's crazy.

DLant, jtaylor, bozburn and 5 others like this.
  12. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Like others I'm enjoying the "Here and Now" But finding the gold took some digging with the great direction I found here and I enjoyed that for the most part. I do look forward to what FSE comes up with without expectations of the outcome.

13. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Likewise. I can say all of my recent Sinatra, and most of my vintage music purchases have come from the advice of members of this forum, most notably MLutthans's fine website http://www.11fifty.com/.

hodgo likes this.
  14. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

FSE will issue a special 22nd anniversary edition of "Duets" that will include many previously released bonus duets.

bozburn likes this.
  15. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

Have you ever considering creating a list of the best versions? I just started getting into Sinatra (purchased 3 used records) and a list like this would be very helpful.

16. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Hi Lee, check out the "Capitol Scorecard" that MLutthans created with other forum members' contributions: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/Capitol_Scorecard_2.html

I keep it bookmarked when I'm out on a vinyl crawl.

rxcory and LeeGriffin like this.
  17. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

Thank you very much.

18. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

I'd love to see another shot taken at the Reprise years, a big box with the albums in paper sleeves plus singles collections would be great. Whoever thought of putting everything out on the last box in chronological order by recording date just destroyed the flow of those albums.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

20. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

21. Lands End Drums

22. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

As I have most of the individual titles and the suitcase, unless our host gets his hands on the Reprise titles I'm done buying anything from that era, with regards to the Capitol era I'll be buying all the available MFSL discs but unless FSE/Capitol come up with sonic wonders I'll also not be spending any money on that either.

rxcory and bozburn like this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Actually, it's still available new in the UK, and for a lower price* than originally offered: http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B0042CJ35A

*[Edit:] Total shipped to the US (no VAT) is USD $246 as of today. That's less than $6.50 per disc.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    Lands End Drums likes this.
  24. MLutthans

There's also the ongoing (currently "paused" due to time demands on my end) survey of the non-album tracks, starting here and moving ahead via links at the top of that page.

Happy hunting! :)

bozburn, rxcory, hodgo and 1 other person like this.
  25. Lands End Drums

Wonderful, thanks so much! Now, time to start saving, right before Christmas, yeesh!

bozburn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.