FRANK SINATRA comp., "Nothing but the Best", released 5/13/08

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Feb 19, 2008.

1. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

I wonder how many of the songs are from the show he did in London , with the intro by Princess Grace, that was released on video as part of the reprise collection, The link to the import version has 35 songs, including "I get along without you", which as far as I know was only released during the reprise years on the video. The first track of the import ( see link above ), lists the intro by Princess Grace.

2. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

I just googled this title, and it seems there will be an edition released with a bonus dvd of the Princess Grace London concert.

3. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Sounds like we might be getting closer to the real deal on digital for Sinatra, Martin? :) . Please do let us know what you think when you listen to the whole cd :thumbsup:

Do you think Larry will be redoing the whole catalogue soon?

4. Russ

Russ Outlaw

I can't believe I'm buying another Sinatra comp.

5. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

:laugh: I'm new to the game, just think what I have to look forward to.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  6. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Thank you. :)

:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

7. DougT

DougT Forum Resident

Picked this up at lunch at my local indie store. WOW!!!!!!!!!! Bewitched and Body and Soul are worth the price of admission alone. It lists Bernie Grundman as the mastering engineer. Larry Walsh is listed with Charles Pignone and Terry Woodson for tape reviewing and remixing. The Reprise catalog on CD is pretty good, but this kicks it up a notch or two. Bewitched even more so. If only the Capitol catalog could get the same treatment.

8. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I just heard on NPR today why this comp is coming out.. Old Blues Eyes is getting his own stamp. The funny thing is the orignal artwork was a photo from the 50's but it was in sepia tones, just browns until someone pointed out WHERE ARE THE BLUE EYES???? The post office revised the color plan and now we have it all in color..blue eyes and all!

9. DougT

DougT Forum Resident

Both are in conjunction with the 10th anniversary of his passing on 5-14-98.

10. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

so wait, there is a version with a DVD, but its only UK? then there are Nordstrom, Starbucks, and Itunes exclusives...and this thing sounds great?

does anyone know all the various exclusives out there? can anyone list them?

11. DougT

DougT Forum Resident

This is nuts, isn't it? Not sure about the DVD issue. This is from the Sinatra Family Forum.
    CD editions:

Cat. # R2-438652 (UPC 081227993689); ASIN B0013L5M08 [US] (USA CD with stamp cachet)
    Cat. # R2-468092 or 8122-799331 (UPC 081227993313); ASIN B001716IS4 [UK] (International CD)
    Cat. # R2-457980 or 8122-799345 (UPC 081227993450); ASIN B0016OMFM0 [UK] (CD+DVD digipak)
    Cat. # OPCD-8286 (UPC 081227993603) (Starbucks CD digipak)
    Cat. # OPCD-8287 (UPC 081227993610) (Post Office CD)
    Cat. # OPCD-8296 (UPC 081227993351) (Nordstrom CD)

Exclusive versions for US Postal Service, Starbucks, Nordstrom, and iTunes with extra bonus track:

23P 10/03/62 (2:33) I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter [with Count Basie] (USPS CD)
    23S 12/20/60 (2:51) The Coffee Song (They've Got An Awful Lot Of Coffee In Brazil) (Starbucks CD)
    23N 12/20/60 (2:23) You'd Be So Easy To Love (Nordstrom CD)
    23T 12/19/60 (2:46) Ring-A-Ding Ding (iTunes Deluxe Edition)

Also available in digital formats (Amazon; iTunes)

12. DJ WILBUR

it is nuts, but you solved my problem. i have to have the coffee song, so i now know which one to get....

though I love ringa ding ding, but that'll sound like s*** no doubt on itunes....

thanks.

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

14. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

So in order to get all those bonus tracks you have to buy each individual cd?

If so, that stinks.

15. Ian Bradley

Ian Bradley Forum Resident

Nothing but the best

A little plug for my own hastily compiled review here. Wish I were more of an audio expert - though there are a few sonic 'spoilers' in it.

I think this is a first class release - the first fro Sinatra Enterprises. Wonder if we will get the whole Reprise catalogue re-issued with this mastering team? And then Capitol will play catch-up?

16. 3 of the bonus tracks minus the one with Basie are available on the Ring-A-Ding Ding album from 1960. They could be alternates, but the timings match so closely, I would hazard a guess that they're the album versions. The recording dates match exactly the released versions.

17. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Right, but these are remastered .. correct?

18. DJ WILBUR

remastered yes and in some cases some remixing as well i do believe I read in here...

I'm picking it up today. My friend heard it last night and said its like Frank is in the room and its very "clean" sounding...not sure that is good or not yet.

19. DJ WILBUR

This cd is worth getting IMHO.

The remix/remaster of these tracks is revealing a lot of details I'd never noticed in some of these well worn chestnuts....and a couple of interesting surprises to boot...

Jimmy B. likes this.
  20. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I got this disc and there are portions of songs that I have not heard before even on record! Especially New York, New York! :righton:

21. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

Got the EU digipak (CD+DVD+stamp), love it, great CD, great DVD, but I hate the packaging

22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

O.K., so what's up with this WONKY release, I ask?

Huge Sinatra fanatic here and something just ain't right with this CD, but I'll be darned if I can put a finger on it...

Is it remixes, parts of outtakes used to enchance, good tapes used along side poor tapes, mono trying to simulate stereo...I just don't know?

Here are just a few weird things that I heard on first (and so far) only listen...

"The Girl From Ipanema" Jobim's vocals come from a poor quality tape and seem out of place on this CD.

"Strangers In The Night" in stereo, now has the previously mono only, "Doo Be Doo Be Doo", bit added at the end.

"Call Me Irresponsible" has a flawed and terribly noticeable edit, at the very ending.

"It Was A Very Good Year" has what sounds like Frank's microphone pot turned up, louder than usual, so we can now here EVERY little noise and chair squeaking, before Frank starts to sing.

"That's Life" sounds like some fake stereo/mono mix that seems to try and be BOTH stereo and mono, at the same time.

"My Way" The beginning is now strange, with what I think is a keyboard turned up in the mix, to give the song an almost different feel, than what we're used to hearing.

"New York, New York" now sounds like it's in another room, with a few added bursts for flavor.

All in all, this is a VERY strange release and I'm not really sure what to make of it, except to say that, "It's different". Earlier I mentioned that maybe they used parts of outtakes to enhance the songs and I really think that they did SOMETHING like this on here, because some of Frank's lines are "differently expressed". Somebody get Larry Walsh on the line, I believe he needs to do some 'splaining, about this CD.

If not for the redone "Bewitched" and the previously unreleased, "Body & Soul", this may have been a total pass for me to buy, but now, I'm sure glad that I got to hear it, weirdness and all.

Chris C

roda12 and CBackley like this.
  23. DJ WILBUR

I just A/B'd this tune with this new cd and Kevin Gray's mastering on vinyl...

sounds exactly like the same Jobim tape used on both to my ears....the Gray uses the original master where later cds were remixes, but then so is this new comp for the most part.

I think thats how the Jobim tape sounds and its just so clear on this new cd...though I'm no expert, but others in here are so i'm sure more will comment on this observation of yours...

Jimmy B. likes this.
  24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Well, i guess that I'm going to have to pull out the Gray vinyl, as I've got it. The new CD sounds like they piece parted many of the tracks, almost redubbing in certain vocal and instrumental parts on some of the songs and to my ears, the Jobim sung lines (not Frank's), sound like they are from an entirely DIFFERENT tape and not as level as the rest of the track and, more importantly, not the way that I always remember hearing it. For the record, I must have listened to "Girl From Ipanema" at least 8 gazillion times in my lifetime, on everything, as I have it on Import EP, French 45rpm, mono and stereo original Reprise LP's, The rare Brasilian only Sinatra/Jobim 2-Lp set, Gray vinyl and nearly EVERY Sinatra comp and FAS & ACJ CD's that have been released and I hear something different on this new CD!

I'm also interested to hear some other Sinatra fanatics to come forward with their own views of this set. Please understand that I am ALL about more Sinatra reissues, but this kind of release puts question into the mix, as it's soooo remixed or re-something'ed?

Chris C

roda12 and CBackley like this.
  25. DJ WILBUR

Chris, its surprising how few Sinatra fanatics are in this thread, and I'm no expert...yet....:D

definitely remixing involved, but I dont mind, I'm glad there are variations and surprises on this disc...cause I basically have it all already, so I for one appreciate that is somewhat retooled. tis all about "the voice" and his voice sounds great on this one. for a single disc comp its a job well done for once with Frank...

I dont want them to do the whole catalog like this, but I like this release for what it is for me, a kick back into plowing through the reprise years of which I've got a 20 disc set of and also tons of the cds....

Still I can understand purists being put out by a disc like this, but some of the things, like the ending of Come Fly With Me, made me smile a wide smile, and its a re-record from the capitol era anyway, so loved that little add on from an outtake...frankly, i'd have prefered to hear that whole outtake...maybe someday...

please report back what you're hearing on the Ipanema track when you compare on your various versions...