Frank Sinatra Conducts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

He conducted at least one album for each of his record labels. And yes, he was into classical music in a big way.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Bob F

Sinatra conducts for other artists:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Bob F

4. Bob F

Some of the photos posted in the above threads have been reduced to thumbnails following the forum software conversion, but this is a great one (courtesy @apileocole). First recording session at the Capitol Tower, Studio B, February 22, 1956, for 'Frank Sinatra Conducts Tone Poems of Color':

[​IMG]

5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Bob F Conducts Too Many Searches... ;)

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

[​IMG]
    For whatever reason, the original stereo LP I have of this title sounds awful, with telephone-line-quality tone, but the stereo reel-to-reel sounds nice. :crazy:

7. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

There's a Youtube clip of Frank on the Carson show where he (Frank) talks about Ravel's Daphnis and Chloe and Debussy's Sunken Cathedral, so yeah, I don't doubt that Frank was interested in classical music, especially Debussy/Ravel etc. Frank: Ebb Tide -- Debussy: La Mer

Ryan Lux, MikaelaArsenault and Bob F like this.
  8. Bob F

9. MLutthans

"I don't fool around with all that other stuff."
    Unintended double-entendre? :whistle:

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Leave us not forget:

"Thank you, Ludwig Van for the flights of fancy you take me on
    Thanks Mrs. Verdi for Joe
    and a special thanks to Giacomo!!!!

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Hmmm...I don't have (what someone once referred to Mr. S as having for his keen sense of hearing) "elephant ears" but I am fortunate enough to own both a stereo and mono copy of the LP and they sound really good to me. Edge goes to the stereo for me.

12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

He don't look to happy there! :oops:

13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Did he actually study conducting? Did he read music? Or did he just do it his own way?

14. MLutthans

Well, it could be that I've got some whack-o bad pressing or something, as there certainly are other Reprise albums of the era that vary significantly from cut to cut. Like I said, my (particular) pressing stinks, but that's cool that you've got a goodie!

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It's weird playing it, though because on the tracks used for A Man & His Music, I keep waiting to hear his narrations!

16. MLutthans

I get the feeling that it was a pretty high-stress day for all involved, literally day #1 for the new Capitol studios in the tower. Because the larger Studio A was not quite done yet, they had to squeeze all 50+ (IIRC) musicians into the smaller Studio B. I talked to John Palladino about this day, and he says that everybody was very anxious about the whole affair, as you can imagine they would be!

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Plus, they were not too thrilled with the way those 2 studios sounded at first...right?

18. MLutthans

Well, at minimum, they had to figure out the tricks to recording in these spaces, and that first session was really baptism by fire. IIRC, and I'd have to dig through my interview tapes to get John's actual quote on this, they set up some mics in there and did a little listening before this first session, but until you actually have a bunch of players in the room, you're just kind of relying on what has worked in past experience in former studios, and this was the first time they had players in the room, so it was an eye-opener, and the sound suuuuuuuuure was different than what they had perfected over at Melrose. They got it figured out quite well quite quickly, though. I mean, when was Nat's AFTER MIDNIGHT? I'd say that's pretty close to monophonic hi-fi perfection.

John also commented on how quickly it became apparent that Capitol had just spent huge sums of $$$ building this state-of-the-are studio for hi-fi mono recording, then within the first few months STEREO reared its head and a lot of technical improvisation had to be done to make that work, as the design made zero provision for stereo.

19. Bob F

This is the instrumental breakdown for the 55-piece symphony orchestra conducted by Sinatra:

3 trumpets
    2 trombones
    1 bass trombone
    3 French horns
    2 flutes
    2 oboes
    2 clarinets
    2 bassoons
    16 violins
    6 violas
    6 celli
    1 harp
    1 piano
    1 celeste
    1 guitar
    3 string bass
    3 drums/percussion

20. Bob F

Cute exchange in another thread:

21. MLutthans

(Pointlessly closed thread reopened.)
    These shots from the Syms sessions have appeared today on Ebay:
    s-l1600-61.jpg s-l1600-62.jpg
    Looks like they have an RE-20 as a conductor's talkback mic. Subtle.

22. MLutthans

R-7718646-1447366417-3981.jpeg.jpg s-l1600-68b.jpg
    (Not a rare photo, I realize, but it's kind of cool that the cover photo came from the actual sessions for the album.)

23. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Great photos, Matt! Is the Syms album available on CD? I remember it being hard to get. I also remember really loving their version of "Old Devil Moon."

24. Bob F

No.

[Edit:] I do notice someone is selling homemade needledrops here: SYLVIA SYMS SYMS BY SINATRA CD
    (Not an endorsement. I know nothing about the seller.)

MikaelaArsenault and rangerjohn like this.
  25. Bob F

Reposted from another thread by @paulmock:

[​IMG]

Listening to this album on the 65th [55th] anniversary of it's recording. It REALLY is a very nice, easy listening, mood music LP. I will have to play it more often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.