Frank Sinatra Movies on Blu-Ray*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Anchors Aweigh"(1945/MGM), directed by George Sidney and starring Ol' Blue Eyes, Gene Kelly, Kathryn Grayson, Jose Iturbi, Dean Stockwell & Jerry The Mouse...

"Robin & The Seven Hoods"(1964/Warner), directed by Gordon Douglas and starring the Chairman Of The Board, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., Peter Falk, Barbara Rush, Victor Buono & Bing Crosby...

Other than street date(May 5th, 2015), I have no further details on specifications for these movies' release on blu-ray and what's planned for further releases by Warner Home Video...will update this thread as warranted when more information is available... :wave::righton:

Benno123 likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release The Frank Sinatra Collection on Blu-ray this spring. The 5-disc, 5-film set includes Anchors Away (1945), On the Town (1949), Guys and Dolls (1955), Ocean's 11 (1960) and Robin and the 7 Hoods (1964), three of which -- Anchors Aweigh, On the Town and Robin and the 7 Hoods -- are making their Blu-ray debuts and will also be available for individual sale. The Blu-ray edition of The Frank Sinatra Collection streets on May 5th.

Details & Pics : http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15880

Bob F and PhantomStranger like this.
  3. Myke

I'm in for Robin & The 7 Hoods. Chicago, Prohibition, gangsters...

lukejosephchung likes this.
  4. lukejosephchung

Getting "Robin & The Seven Hoods", "Anchors Aweigh" & "On The Town"...wish they'd included "High Society" with Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly, Louie Armstrong & Celeste Holm in this, but maybe later in the year...:righton::wave:

5. lukejosephchung

Another previously-unavailable blu-ray title has been added to this reissue..."On The Town"(1949), co-directed by(with Stanley Donen) and co-starring Gene Kelly, Jules Munshen, Betty Garrett, Vera-Ellen & Ann Miller...the other 2 titles included in the box set are "Guys & Dolls"(1955) & "Ocean's 11"(1960)...all titles WILL be available individually on May 5th, 2015...:righton::wave:

6. lukejosephchung

Got Steve's DCC Gold CD remaster of the soundtrack album in my library...great Rat Pack music in audiophile quality sound!

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Sinatra's last movie musical. Steve did a great job on the DCC remaster. The "soundtrack" album contains later Reprise studio recordings which are different than those in the movie, though. Unfortunately, most of the Warner Bros. film recording session masters no longer exist.

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Frank Sinatra movies on Blu-ray

It's nice to see more new Sinatra Blu-ray releases. Prior to this announcement, these were the available non-import Blu-rays at Amazon.com (listed by release date, with Amazon product links):
    1. [2010] Ocean's 11 (50th Anniversary)
    2. [2011] The Manchurian Candidate
    3. [2012] That's Entertainment! Trilogy Gift Set
    4. [2012] Come Blow Your Horn
    5. [2012] Assault on a Queen
    6. [2012] Pal Joey
    7. [2012] Guys and Dolls
    8. [2012] Von Ryan's Express
    9. [2012] Suddenly
    10. [2013] The Miracle of the Bells
    11. [2013] From Here to Eternity
    12. [2014] Young at Heart
    13. [2014] Cast a Giant Shadow
    14. [2015] A Hole in the Head
    15. [2015] The Road to Hong Kong

PhantomStranger and Benno123 like this.
  9. wave

wave Forum Resident

Still waiting for my favorite Sinatra film -- Some Came Running -- to make it to blu-ray. Hopefully this year...

MarkusGermany likes this.
  10. lukejosephchung

The box set and individual titles are now available for pre-order at Amazon..."Anchors Aweigh", "On The Town" & "Robin & The 7 Hoods" MSRP at $19.95 and the box set at $69.95...the individual titles are discounted to $13.99/each and the box set to $48.97...

Bob F likes this.
  11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

lukejosephchung and Myke like this.
  12. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

OH MY GOD! I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT AN ON THE TOWN BLU RAY! You have no idea.

13. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

I have a feeling the Sinatra Centennial will be painful to the wallet. Ring-A-Ding-Ding indeed.

Can we speculate about a Volume II? Maybe:

Some Came Running
    (MGM)
    The Man With The Golden Arm (UA)
    The Pride And The Passion (UA)
    A Hole In The Head (UA)

Then license:
    The Joker Is Wild (Paramount)

lukejosephchung and Myke like this.
  14. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

MISS TURNSTILES!!!!

15. Myke

I wouldn't waste a minute pre ordering. Amazon's prices are usually at their lowest when first set up. If the best price can be beat later by another retailer, you can always cancel the Amazon order .

$13.99 for the individual titles is pretty sweet.

lukejosephchung and Bob F like this.
  16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

lukejosephchung and AztecChimera like this.
  17. lukejosephchung

I'm hoping for a blu-ray release of "High Society"(1956) with Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly, Louis Armstrong & Celeste Holm later this year from Warner. A hi-def transfer already exists and is waiting to be used in full resolution physical media...

colormesinatra likes this.
  18. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Amen! I'm hoping for that as well! One of my favorite films. period!

19. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I'm hoping for a release of "None But the Brave".

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    DLant likes this.
  22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Preordered. Thanks for the tip, Bob. (I expect to be posting variations of this statement all year!)

Amazon is showing this as the cover, though I have to admit a preference for the version in the ad slick you posted.

Bob F likes this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This appears to be the latest official version of that earlier dealer ad image:

[​IMG]

Pre-order link for Blu-ray box set —> amazon.com/dp/B00SIHM7PI

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This is always excellent advice, BTW. When I pre-ordered the Blu-ray 5-Film Collection box set last month, the Amazon price was $48.97. It's now jumped to $59.99, and the three new individual BD titles have gone to $14.99.

Myke likes this.
  25. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I want to recommend the blu-rays of Pal Joey (1957), Never So Few (1958) and The Detective (1968) released by Twilight Time in state-of-the-art hi-def transfers. The boutique label specializes in Limited Editions of 3000 copies so get 'em before they sell out. Available either from the company's website or from Screen Archives.

DLant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.