Frank Sinatra on Reprise appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McLover, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Amen Robert....thanks for saying what I would have said...geez!

Bob F likes this.
  2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Sorry for getting my Charlie/Chuck's confused. Bob, I realize that you evidently have more knowledge about the "inner workings" regarding the Sinatra Enterprises than most of us, but you have to admit that Frank Jr. did not represent them well that day on the "Today" show. He lost my respect that day and as a near lifelong fan, I have the right to admit that out loud, even if you or others don't care to read it. Calling out someone for sharing an opinion and admitting in said opinion, as I did, that I'm not necessarily blaming him for said thought, isn't me spreading rumors or innuendo, but I will admit that you have a great way of using words for making me feel like a bad guy, just for sharing my opinion!

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Chris, I don't mean to make anyone feel bad, but it seems a stretch to blame Frank Sinatra, Jr. for the lack of audiophile releases, and/or to base that opinion on a poor showing in a TV interview. Who knows what led up to that Today Show debacle? I certainly don't, but perhaps it can be excused knowing that Frank Sinatra's son literally killed himself doing tributes to his father last year. I was fortunate enough to see one of those concerts, and Frankie did a hell of a good job.

I don't have any more inside knowledge than you do, but it seems to me that the deal with Universal Music has a lot more to do with the current release schedule for Reprise material. And there's a separate thread for that, if you so desire. Personally, I think it's been discussed to death, but the point is it's off-topic. I'd rather talk in this thread about the music we do have. And let Frankie rest in peace.

4. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I've been hunting down various Sinatra Reprise LPs and I've noticed it's extremely hard to find a Sinatra Conducts Music from Pictures & Plays.

CBackley, Bob F and Arkoffs like this.
  5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Are those live tracks unique to this release? (I assume not, but do not know off-hand.)

6. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

That's one of the ones I don't have yet either. I've never seen a copy in the wild ... it does turn up on eBay from time to time.

DLant likes this.
  7. MLutthans

I've got the stereo LP, and holy cow, it's just horrid sounding. Somebody -- @stevelucille ???? (I think so) -- sent me the reel-to-reel, and the sound quality was, surprisingly, a vast, vast improvement over the LP. Go figure.

Simon A likes this.
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

(Re: Argentina LP, El Brillo de Sinatra)

I'm just going by the track listing, Matt. E.g., "The Shadow of Your Smile" must be from the Sands album, as he never did a studio recording of the song. Ditto for "One for My Baby" on Reprise. Those are the last tracks on each side.

(Except for those two, every track is from a different Reprise album. That appears to be the only logic behind this strange collection.)

P.S. Confirmed just now by the WoW database.

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Have owned a copy of that for ages. Never play it as I do not have the equipment to appreciate it

Chris C likes this.
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Pops up on eBay often in both mono & stereo.

DLant likes this.
  11. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Simon A, DLant and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  12. DLant

These must be along the lines what is already in the Shout Factory DVD box of the TV specials.

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

"Strangers in the Night" was recorded 50 years ago this evening here in Hollywood. 4/11/66.

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Probably not coincidental...

UMe/FSE has a new US reissue of the out-of-print 2010 Concord bonus-track CD coming in June:
    Frank Sinatra - Strangers In The Night - Amazon.com Music »

And in the EU, Universal reissued this twofer bundle with the same CD last month:
    Strangers in the Night / Live at the Meadowlands by Frank Sinatra: Amazon.co.uk: Music »

These are the first official Sinatra CD issues in 2016 on either side of the pond.

16. DLant

No matter how many times I listened to that 2010 CD I couldn't get used to the edits they left in.

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I did some looking last night and found that 4/11/66 was quite unique at United studios on Sunset. Mr. S came in for his one song from 6-8PM. Then in the same studio from 8-11:30PM in sauntered Dino to record the basic tracks for 4 tunes for his LP The Hit Sound of Dean Martin. According to records, quite a number of "Wrecking Crew" musicians were present on both sessions. That may not be a first but it was certainly unique considering that songs from both sessions went on to be on million-selling albums.

McLover, Simon A, MLutthans and 2 others like this.
  18. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

I've been trying to buy all the major Capitol/Reprise stuff on vinyl and I came across this today.
    Can anyone tell me about this record?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Studio session material (outtakes and alternate takes). French LP release from 1989. There was also a CD with the same stuff. Pirated session tapes; unofficial, of course.

Simon A, petercl and MLutthans like this.
  20. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

Thanks, I figured as much. I'll give it a spin to see if it was worth the $2.50.

21. MLutthans

I'm guessing there's some simple explanation, but....what's the deal with this odd pressing that I saw on Tuesday did but not buy?

The LP itself is the standard-USA-issue "smiling Frank" 1960s pressing, pressed at Columbia.

The cover is UK-style glossy, not US-style:
    DSC_0220.jpg
    The rear cover only has the US address, catalog number, etc., no mention of any foreign-market address, different catalog number, etc.:
    DSC_0221.jpg
    (...And yes, somebody already suggested trying to find Ann Jacobs to ask.)
    The spine looks UK-ish, and has black print on white background, except for the white print on black background near the bottom of the spine:
    DSC_0222resized.jpg DSC_0222.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    CBackley and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  22. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Michael Feinstein told Jonathan Schwartz today that "How Do You Keep The Music Playing" has an intercut on a passage that Alan and Marilyn Bergman asked Sinatra to redo. Feinstein said that this is the version that is on the original LP while the CD of "LA Is My Lady" has the take as Sinatra did it without the intercut.

Simon A, kennyluc1 and DLant like this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Did he say exactly what was the nature of this intercut, and where it is located? I just did an A/B compare of the CD to a cassette copy of the album, which I believe to be identical to the LP (at least, it has the original "Mack the Knife"), and I can detect no difference.

24. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

He didn't say where or what.

CBackley likes this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I always disliked that whoever was in charge (Quincy?) deleted the beautiful flugelhorn (sp?) solo track on that recording. It can be heard on the VHS tape of the making of the album. It makes the entire presentation much more beautiful.

roda12 likes this.