Frank Sinatra on Reprise appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McLover, Apr 4, 2006.

1. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Yes! And those awkward synth touches on Teach Me Tonight that were eliminated for the Seduction compilcation back in 2009. That's an album begging for a remix and a remaster.

2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Anyone feel like the 1990 Reprise Collection box set was very limited considering the vast amount of songs recorded for the label?

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  3. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

It's still an excellent overview of well-known and rare material, in the same vein as The Capitol Years 3 CD set.

4. Price.pittsburgh

Oh, no doubt. I once only owned the Columbia box (The Voice) from 1986 I think, and the two 1990 Capitol and Reprise boxes. That was enough for a while. A short while :)

bozburn likes this.
  5. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Anybody know about this French pressing? (and where I can find Vol. 1)

[​IMG]

paulmock likes this.
  6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Oddball, indeed!

DLant likes this.
  7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I haven't seen any on e-bay and Discogs only shows one in bad condition from a Canadian seller. You may have to be patient. You could also start a thread in the Want To Buy Classifieds.

DLant likes this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

franksinatra-2originals-sinatraswings.ring-a-dingding(1) copy.jpg tumblr_n4wi6ngfkE1rglvhho1_1280.jpg
    Any other of these 1970s Reprise 2-fer Gatefold LP sets that use this lettering motif on the front cover? (Personally, I'd like to see a Sinatra release using the Mothers artwork, say...a two-fer of Watertown and She Shot Me Down?)

Bob F and Simon A like this.
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

In case anyone else cannot read the text on the back cover image, the two originals of Frank Sinatra were his first two Reprise albums from 1961: Ring-a-Ding Ding! (Disc 2) and Sinatra Swings (Disc 1). The twofer was a 1976 UK issue.

MLutthans and Simon A like this.
  10. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Got nothing else to collect, so thought I would continue picking up mono pressings. What was the last title issued with the serious/frowning label portrait?

CBackley likes this.
  11. MLutthans

Somewhere we had a chat about what the actual title of Reprise #F(S)-1022 is. My mono copy has this on the label
    R-1862957-1250128842.jpeg.jpg
    but the stereo release had this on the label:
    R-1289734-1206822810.jpeg.jpg
    For what it's worth, here's how BILLBOARD lists it on the Top 200 LPs chart from Nov. 11, 1967:
    Screen shot 2016-08-25 at 10.27.01 PM.png

Also, some stereo (and maybe mono) LP copies just show "Frank Sinatra" on the spine:
    [​IMG]

MMM, bozburn, kennyluc1 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

Received the 1988 release today (although ordered the 1998 release). How does the 1988 release compare to the 1998 release?

13. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Do you like what you're hearing?

aza14782, Andy Pandy and DLant like this.
  14. Price.pittsburgh

Frank doing what so many pop rock artist had done.
    Recording an album to take advantage of the success of a single.
    It doesn't always work but in this case it did.
    A good album.

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The 1988 CD had the original stereo mix of the 1967 LP, Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim. The 1998 reissue was a remix, but it was nicely done. I prefer the mastering of the '98 version.

Simon A likes this.
  16. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

Not listened to it yet, still at work...

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Regarding the Reprise CD reissues in general, were they all remixed?

Also, I know that the Capital reissues by Norberg are not well thought of. The Reprise were done by different engineers. Are the Reprise generally considered to have good sonics?

18. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

My stereo CTH pressing says "Frank Sinatra" on the label and on the solid brown spine.

MLutthans likes this.
  19. MLutthans

I lean the same way on that title, but both are pretty good, IMO.
    I have not compared all of the titles (not by a long shot), but of the ones I have compared, it's just all over the map. Some titles are remixed; some are not. I prefer some titles in their original CD release; others sound better in the 1998 version.

Four titles that have lots of samples posted, so you can listen:
    •I Remember Tommy CD info, including a large section at the bottom, with the heading, Is it a remix? : I Remember Tommy - 1961 ». I guess I'll take the 1998 CD of the two, but some of the better LP masterings are the way to go on this title, to my ears.
    •Swing Along with Me info -- 1961 - Swing Along with Me » -- scan way down for CD comparisons. The 1989 CD uses the original stereo mix; the 1998 is a remix. I'll take the former. This title really needs a well-done remix, IMO.
    Sinatra & Strings -- 1962 - Sinatra & Strings ». There have been four stereo mixes of this title. The first CD release was mix #3; the 1998 CD was mix #4. I prefer the former.
    Sinatra and Swingin' Brass - 1962 - Sinatra and Swingin' Brass » - what a complete mess of a recording! Of the CD releases, I prefer the original, by a considerable margin, despite its problems.

teag and Simon A like this.
  20. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks Matt!

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Are you sure, Bob? The tracks on the 20CD set are a new mix...

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes, the 20-CD box set in 1995 had a remix of the Sinatra/Jobim tracks. I was comparing to the *original* album CD in 1988. If I'm not mistaken, Martin, you once said exactly the same thing... (searching) ...here 'tis:

Sinatra - Jobim Complete Reprise Recordings »

Simon A likes this.
  23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, but then I made another post in the past where I questioned that...

24. MLutthans

1. From another thread, with audio clip:
    Was that first CD 1988 or 1991? Obviously, I posted the 1991 date in my post, but that may be been the wrong date. (I was trying to refer to the first stand-alone CD release of the album, and it has the "ching-ching" stuff in it, so it's a remix.)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    kennyluc1 and Simon A like this.
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

My apologies, I found it: Sinatra - Jobim Complete Reprise Recordings »
    I had the same misconception and forgot about the discussion highlighted by Matt. So it appears that the original mix has not appeared on CD.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2016
    kennyluc1 and Simon A like this.