Frank Sinatra on Reprise appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McLover, Apr 4, 2006.

1. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

Sid was certainly a loyal soldier to Mr. S....I remember when Trilogy came out and he played You & Me, then immediately played it again.

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember Sid saying how he'd just come back from a Latin show and amazingly, Frank looked at the audience and said "Any requests?":bigeek:

The song he sang: "Embraceable You." I bet the whole place just melted into a huge pile of goo.

MMM likes this.
  3. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Bob,thanks for adding your appreciation,especially since you were listening 5-6 years before I was. And,of course,Pica's and all things Philly. I printed out you SFF memory a while back and have it included in my Sinatra CD binders. It is that important.

Bob F likes this.
  4. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

One of my favorite cd's is a recording I made of the first and last hour of one of Sid's Sunday With Sinatra shows from the early 2000's (WWDB). Listen to it often.

5. jimac51

When my brother was sent to Desert Storm,tapes of Sid's shows got him through the heat,horrors and boredom.

Simon A and MMM like this.
  6. jimac51

WWDB had the best "bleep-bleep" when another Philly nutjob was allowed to speak with Irv Homer and forgot how many Q-Tip haired ladies(including my Mom) were listening. Naughty,naughty.They could have given away a car for anyone pronouncing "ing" or an "r" for that matter and that car would still be unclaimed.
    WWDB was where Merrill Reese found a Philly audience before this year's Super Bowl.
    Often imitated,never equaled.

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I cried when WHAT-FM changed its call letters to WWDB and dropped its jazz programming. (The “WDB” stands for former owners William and Dolly Banks.)

P.S. We really need a separate Sid Mark thread.

McLover likes this.
  8. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I have to admit, I still know the Columbia and Capitol eras much better than the Reprise. It’s taken me three years to get here. That said, each Reprise album I acquire (Watertown, She Shot Me Down, Trilogy, the Jobim albums) well they all seem to be insanely great. My current fave, the compilation Everything Happens to Me.

That “old” voice is every bit as wonderful as that “young” voice.

D.B., roda12 and Benno123 like this.
  9. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

10. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I love the “old” voice. People say Frank lost his voice but to me he didn’t lose it as much as it became a voice of a man who lived life and came out on top, well-worn. Case in point: “One For My Baby.” The original Capitol version sounds like a man who is heartbroken, his love just left. The Duets version sounds like a man looking back on his life, missing and wondering what ever became of her, he cannot after all these years and all this living ever shake her from his mind, especially at night.

Even with new material that Frank did I still find something in his voice that just hits me just right.

11. jimac51

The WWDB era,while jettisoning real jazz,was interesting,just a shame that both formats couldn't find a spot on the rediscovered FM dial. This was pre-smooth jazz,but they found both an interesting and at times frustrating format that had no definition. Print ads promised Ella,Peggy Lee,Gabor Szabo & Quincey(sic-that is how they printed Q's name)Jones-stars often capable of real jazz but on WWDB just the pop sides were showing. Keeping Frank as the center. Before WMMR went all-rock,they played Sinatra nightly,as well as a Sunday AM serving which might have been a way for WWDB to go. Often imitated,now imitating the imitator might have been the way to go. Gradually,they morphed into a MOR station,now in FM stereo,with acts like Dionne Warwick,Barbara Streisand and The Fifth Dimension(and notice an almost complete disappearance of instrumentals. On paper,it sounded like a good idea. New cars equipped with FM stereo. Bill & Dolly Banks were hoping for a hipper,richer and pretty much whiter audience. In true Philly fashion,it never happened. Suburb reception issues? Maybe. So Philly was always a talk radio phenom and crazy speech in stereo paid the bills. Sad.

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Quote from another thread:
    I had never seen the Japanese picture sleeve before:
    s-l1600-352.jpg

13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I initially thought it was another dreaded "reverse" photo. However, upon further inspection, it's just a really bad chop job. Agreed. Never have seen before.

14. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Sinatra's version of "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" was very popular in Japan. It appears on at least 4 Jap Reprise compilations. On the cover of one: "Many Moods of Sinatra" they superimposed his image over the Golden Gate Bridge.

They were also fond of his Capitol rendition of "Everybody Loves Somebody" and Toshiba EMI issued a Capitol compilation titled after the song.

MLutthans likes this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

16. MLutthans

^^^^^^"Everybody's Twistin'" -- Such a fun record (IMO)!

CBackley and aoxomoxoa like this.
  17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Well, considering he recorded it as a favor is a good thing.

MLutthans likes this.
  18. MLutthans

What's the story there, Paul?

19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I don't know whether it was Ted Koehler or Rube Bloom that had fallen ill or on hard times. However, when Mr. S heard about it, with the twistin' craze taking over the nation by storm, he took their old song "Truckin'" (or "Everybody's Truckin") converted the words to "Twistin'" and had Hefti write a chart for it. All royalties went to the songwriting duo. Granted, the song tanked, but it was a great gesture from an old friend.

CBackley, roda12, kennyluc1 and 4 others like this.
  20. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

That's the kinda guy frank is/was.

CBackley and roda12 like this.
  21. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Nice story, thanks for sharing! Tanked or not it was still a very good idea to put the songwriting team into the spotlight by linking an old song from them with the Twist craze.

22. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Rube Bloom....Sinatra loved his songs..."Day In Day Out", "Don't Worry About Me", "Fools Rush In", "Maybe You'll Be There" among many others.

23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Thanks @Ronald Sarbo . Mr. S introduced him in the audience at many concerts.

CBackley and MMM like this.
  24. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

“Everybody’s Twistin’” I’m sure Frank Junior has a little story about this song on his CD “As I Remember It”

I could be wrong though :buttkick:

25. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Don't think so. Guess you mean "Can I steal a little love"

paulmock likes this.