Frank Sinatra on Reprise appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McLover, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Natural reverb only really works when the orchestra plays loud. When playing quietly it's dead. Also, Frank was isolated and completely dry. Much more isolated than when he recorded at United. In fact, I wish he had recorded this at United but they didn't have a big enough room at that time. Their big room at United/Western didn't open until 1966.

2. MARKM

MARKM Member

Thanks Steve - am learning all the time.

After the Jobim/September albums in 2005, amongst the others we've covered, what's most likely to be reissued chaps?

Any thoughts, or noises on the grapevine?

Cheers,
    M.

3. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Have you ever heard "Swingin' Brass"? I love that!

CBackley likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

I REMEMBER TOMMY is my favorite Frank on Reprise besides the Jobim album.

I did a remix from the three-track of it about 6 years ago but nothing ever came of it I'm sorry to say; I think I nailed it pretty good.. I also added 7 bonus tracks from the sessions!

CBackley likes this.
  5. MARKM

MARKM Member

Oh no, don't tell me that! :shake:

I haven't heard "Swingin Brass" - will look out for a copy....

M.

CBackley likes this.
  6. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Having been a Sinatra collector for 40 years, I have always prefered the
    Reprise recordings, especially the early 60's albums, more than any of his other
    eras, and I now have a complete collection of all of his Reprise albums.
    The one that no one has yet mentioned, and was the first of his albums I bought
    (when I was 13 years old, no less) was "Sinatra's Sinatra" from 1963. The main thing
    that pushed me into buying it was the banner on the front cover stating "Newly
    Recorded In Stereo". This album was a "collection of Frank's favorites" that he went
    into the studio and re-did with Nelson Riddle, and the results were sensational.
    It has what I consider the definitive version of "I've Got You Under My Skin", along
    with great versions of "All The Way", "How Little We Know" and especially "Witchcraft".
    The original vinyl, to me, sounds much better than the CD version, and is what I
    listen to most often. And these recordings, in my opinion, are the best versions he
    ever recorded of these titles. And yes, it was the first time he used the word "damn"
    on a recording ("but why should I try to resist when baby I know damn well...") but
    that was the "Rat Pack" Sinatra of the early sixties. Classic!

drew phillips likes this.
  7. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Was the Lee Herschberg 1992 remaster also done from the three-track?
    Were the bonus tracks from the March '61 I Remember Tommy sessions that were never released?

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Which, the songs Frank originally did with a smaller group, before re-recording them a couple of months later?

9. Steve Hoffman

I don't know and yes! Also one alt. take of the duet "The One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else" from the later session at United. Swingin'!!!

Lee's mastering style (to me) tends to just sound too bright. I like a more subtle approach with the stuff..

10. Steve Hoffman

Smaller group? No, if anything, larger. The Radio Recorders stuff, rejected by Frank at the time. With a little (a lot, actually) of editing, I got some great versions. Four track recordings!

CBackley likes this.
  11. Sean Keane

Oh, God!

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I read a little smaller for some reason. I didn't realize it was done at Radio Recorders - that would explain why "In the Blue of Evening" (which has made it out) sounds "different".

Lot of editing? That might explain Frank rejected these...

CBackley likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

He was having voice problems during that first session. He couldn't "nail" the songs like he wanted to. Believe me, I played all of the reels, hours of them. Many takes, many breakdowns.

14. deus62

deus62 Mega everything.

The Sinatra Reprise recordings are some of the most important music of the 20th century. A good collection just shouldn't be without a healthy number of these recordings.

I have to admit that I have lots of it on cheaper labels because I didn't have the cash for the remastered and boxed stuff, but buying the entire back catalog in the best possible (sound and editorial) quality is right up on the list with getting as complete a Nat King Cole collection as possible (also a shining example of superb musicianship of the 20th century), now that I have most of the Bilie Holiday I wanted/needed.

All I know is that it's going to be expensive fulfilling that plan/dream.

D.B. likes this.
  15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Frank was really burning the candle at both ends - he was also recording Come Swing With Me! at the time, IIRC.

I wonder why Frank went to Radio Recorders? Maybe trying out somewhere else, since he just started making recordings for Reprise not too long before? Maybe Frank didn't care for the way Ring-a-Ding Ding! came out (sound wise)? :shrugs:

CBackley likes this.
  16. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I don't think it can get much better than looking at you icon! (See post # 73, fellas.) Whew, I'm gonna have to open a window in here!

17. Steve Hoffman

You could be right about that. I think he was just "spreading out". I don't think he liked the vibe at Radio Recorders for some reason. I mean, he never went back there, did he?

18. I've been focusing on the Capitol albums, and have copies of most of those with hand written matrix numbers for the tubey sound.

On Reprise, I really like I Remember Tommy. I have a UK first pressing. What's the verdict on preferred country of pressing for the Reprise years? I'm guessing US first pressings are the winners. But I just love the glossy UK flip-back covers.

I have later US stereo pressings of Swinging Brass, Softly As I Leave You and September of My Years, all from the $1 bin. Currently I'm still in the thrall of the Capitol albums (listening to Nice 'n' Easy as I write), and have yet to give the Reprise titles a closer listen, but this thread has been an insightful read. I'll be on the lookout for the monos, and already have the Jobim on my wish list.

An earlier mention of the two Rhino reissues asked who did those. IIRC, those were by Kevin Gray at Acoustech. I'd imagine they'd be good. But its hard to justify the $18 when both titles regularly turn up for $1.

-David

19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Funny, I Remember Tommy and Swingin' Brass are my 2 least favorite Reprise albums of early Reprise Frank.
    I'll have to play those again.

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Steve Hoffman, it's obvious that you, like MANY of us here, have a certain love and passion for the REPRISE years of Sinatra!

It's also obvious that since you've worked on a few REPRISE years, reissue projects, that you have had contact with Nancy and most likely, Tina and Frank Jr. as well? Are they passionate about continuing a reissue campaign? I would hope that one day that they would be willing to give us an "officially released" outtakes/inside look, at the actual "recording" techniques, that their father had, especially since everything is done so differently today. I can sit for hours listening to my outtakes (BOOTLEGS) of Frank working on perfecting a track, plus I love watching the rare studio video footage of Frank recording ("It Was A Very Good Year" from an old Walter Cronkite CBS News special and "Younger Than Springtime" from the so much fun, Nancy Sinatra "Movin' With Nancy" DVD).

To "FULLY" appreciate the genius of Frank and the hugely talented people that surrounded him, both in the studio and in the booth, one "MUST" hear and see these "priceless" outtakes and visions, IMO! I wish I had more...LOTS more!

Chris C

21. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

That may also explain why he sounds like he has a cold on some of the songs on Come Swing With Me. He may have worn himself down.

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Too much in too little time, IMO. He sure wasn't going to reject any of Come Swing With Me! and have to re-record a contractual obligation album for Capitol, which I don't blame him for, considering Frank was then recording for his own company. I mean, if I were in the same place, guess which album I'd be working harder on? Right...as long as the other album was still at the least decent of course (which it was).

CBackley likes this.
  23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Not that I know of - I didn't even know about this until last night! :) I wondered before about the "different" sound on "In the Blue of Evening", but never thought Frank would have recorded those tracks somewhere other than United/Western. Do you know who the engineer was, Steve?

I remember reading in (I think) Will Friedwald's Sinatra book that when Frank had to record some stuff at RCA in 1963, that he supposedly wished he was recording over at United, but for whatever reason United was unavailable (I guess Studio A was, at least) when he had to record those sessions...

24. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

The first Sinatra that I ever heard was That's Life. My parents played it on one of those old tabletop jukeboxes that they had in diners here in Jersey. I have a memory of hearing Strangers In The Night around the same time also. Perhaps someone here can tell me what came out first.

I am sorely lacking in Sinatra Reprise stuff. Basically just having two Reprise collections and the first Sinatra/Jobim cd. I have a pretty damn clean vinyl of the Strangers In The Night lp.

What can anyone recommend for me on cd from the Reprise years?? I seem to favor the mid 60's to about '67 but I am willing to listen to suggestions to fill in the Reprise gap that I have. :) Should I needle drop the Strangers In The Night lp or go for the cd?

25. Sean Keane

If you can find the older Japan pressing of Strangers In The Night, you might find it sounds better than the one in the Reprise box. I noticed it has a little more hiss and bounce.
    Swing Along With Me and Swingin' Brass are really great, fun records. Great Songs From Great Britain has Robert Farnon arranging and conducting, and he created some unbelievably unique and fantastic sounds.