Frank Sinatra on Reprise appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McLover, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I've always wanted to hear that album!! That and Watertown.

Is the Sands cd worth getting now? Didn't they put it out once and then again with extra tracks?

2. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

I don't like the term 'desert island discs', because I could never imagine wanting to listen to records if was stranded on an island forever. Great Songs is my only exception. The only LP that ever comes to mind when that desert island topic comes up. Like a sweet and cute young lady with captivating charm (a little hokey, but true for me). I could never tire of it.
    The Sands CD 1999 remaster has one bonus track, Luck Be A Lady.
    By the way, Great Songs From Great Britain has great sound.

3. Hawkman

Those two look like a great place to start!

4. kensc1nj

kensc1nj Forum Resident

This is a great thread as I'm discovering the Reprise side of Frank's catalog these days.

A great resource I've been following is this site which links to the Sinatra Family Forum threads on each album. Contained in the linked threads are 'conversions' which map each track on the 20CD Reprise collection to their original release.

http://users.rcn.com/bobfreed/www/SFF/

Apologies if that's been posted already.

Ken

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Both recorded in '66, but "Strangers" came first.

6. Hawkman

I just picked up the Reprise cd of this album. It just 'feels' like 1966 when I listen to this. :)

Was this album issued in mono at all? If so, is it worth tracking down for any reason? I have a nice clean copy of the stereo lp that I bought a few months ago for a buck with the 'smiling Frank' Reprise label. I was going to do a drop on it but just got the cd instead. It's nice having the artifact though.

Attached Files:

7. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I hope you didn't get the EOC CD. :D

The album was indeed released in mono, and the LP's are as common as dirt in good condition. I would seek one out if you're a fan of album.

8. bruckner1

bruckner1 New Member

I have it in mono. Haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I recently acquired a mono copy of "Moonlight Sinatra" (with shrinkwrap intact) which was originally a cut-out; it has a price sticker that says 66 cents!

9. Hawkman

I'm probably going to slap my forehead and go 'DUH!' when you tell me but I have no idea what the EOC cd is. :D

Are they much different from the stereo?

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Different? Not really.

11. Hawkman

Thanks. Maybe I'll just stick with the stereo for now and grab a mono if I come across one.

12. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I have the old CD version, but does the later EOC version of "September of My Years" have anything to recommend it?? A favorite, a classic...

13. Steve Hoffman

What is EOC? Those little creatures in Star Wars?

CBackley likes this.
  14. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

"Entertainer of the Century" !!

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

No "Entertainer of the Century" issue for Strangers. The EOTC September probably came out the worst of all in Reprise's part of that series.

Get the mono LP for the title track, and the stereo LP for the rest of the album. When you hear the mono of "Strangers" (the song), you'll understand why it was such a huge hit. It's totally compressed, but it has the magic. The stereo version doesn't, IMO. However, I hear nothing worthwhile about the mono for the rest of the album over the stereo. "Strangers" the song really had nothing to do with the rest of the album, with Jimmy Bowen producing the song, and using a different engineer (Eddie Brackett, instead of Lee Herschberg).

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The MONO Moonlight Sinatra is special though. Well worth having...

CBackley likes this.
  17. Hawkman

Martin,

Assuming that the single is in mono also, would that do just as well??

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, the mix is the same, but I've never heard one to judge the mastering. It might be OK, but it might not. Sorry...

19. Steve Hoffman

Better, probably.

20. Hawkman

No problem! Thanks! Come to think of it, the mono Strangers In The Night would be the one I heard on the folks' car radio and jukeboxes back in '66.

21. Hawkman

Sigh. Another addition to the 'want list' for the next record show. :)

22. Hawkman

Too bad that they never did a Reprise Singles collection like they did with Capitol. :)

CBackley likes this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Probably, but beware of styrene pressings which might look NM but sound like crap...

Kwad

24. Steve Hoffman

My styrene THAT'S LIFE sounds so much better (mastering wise) than the mono LP it ain't funny. Stands to reason that STRANGERS would as well...

McLover likes this.
  25. Hawkman

I was just looking in Tim Neely's Goldmine Price Guide To 45 R.P.M. Records and I never realized that Frank had a nice little run of singles in '66-'67 going from Strangers In The Night to Summer Wind to That's Life to Somethin' Stupid (with Nancy of course).

Not too shabby if you ask me.